From 1995, when was launched the first Java's version, to 2012 the Java evolute obtained seven versions, many improvements and fixes bugs. In 2011 the biggest “boom” in the java world was about the openjdk recently it's grew in exponential way, but there are some myths arount it, for example, some people know the openjdk like “poor brother” of SUN's JDK (actually Oracle). Many things changed through the time, think that is how believe Linux is the SO of black window. The post was made a quiz mode, for killing some myths about the java world.
1 –What is the openjdk ?
The openjdk is a project started by Sun Microsystems, nowadays care by many companies and the community for build a Java Development Kit absolutely in open source. The project was begun in 2006 and has how base the HotSpot ( the SUN's JVM).
The openjdk obtained popularity when was removed the temporary license of use of JDK Hostpot in Linux distributions by Sun, but the community don't lost the use proprietary software and yep they are winning the project strong, safe, stable, very fast and open.
2 –Are there other JDKs beyond Oracle's JDK ?
Off course and the openjdk is a good example.
There are also the BM J9, IcedTea, Hotspot (old Sun now Oracle), jRockit (da Oracle), Apache Harmony ,Hewlett Packard JVM, etc.
3 –Yep, there are too many JDK, so what is the reference ?
With the new Java 7, the reference implementation is the openjdk.
4 –what is the advantage for use the openjdk ?
- The first advantage is because it's open source, so we can read, learn from its source.
- With the java 7, it's implementation reference in other words if you want make a application for run in all JVM, if you use the openjdk is most safest than other JDK.
- The java's community is very strong, maybe strongest in the world. The project for example has been undergoing improvements and for add some resource it's necesary test.
- The Oracle donated the code ot JRockit and in the Java 8, scheduled for late 2013, the jvm will be integrated with HostSpot, in openjdk there will the better of two JVM in only one place.
- Many company are in the project. The JVM has know-how may companies in the world. Companies like IBM, Apple, SAP, Mac, Azul, Intel, RedHat etc are in the project.
- If Oracle forget the Java and don't the JVM. O openjdk don't will die because there are many companies have been donated time and work in the project also the community.
5 –The openjdk is only academic's use and can't be used in bigger application or production system.
Absolutely this is the biggest myth there is in java world. There time ago the Twitter replaced the Ruby by java, for get more performance and they are using the openjdk. The twitter has about 250 millions of the request or tweets each day, and is used around the world. The twitter now is in the openjdk project and is giving his experience with millions of the request for the JVM and in the future will help with self-tunning scheduled for java 9. In world stage the openjdk is the second more used ( behind of the hotSpot).
6 –What is difference between Oracle's JVM and openjdk ?
The main difference is addition some proprietary code also some modifications for the Oracle's JVM, but dissimilarity is only about 4% in the code.
7 –What code is this ?
Some code, for example, the engine for run Swing components.
8 –How is the work with openjdk ?
The project goes full steam ahead, there are many works fronts:
- Integration between Jrockit and HotSpot
- update code and libraries for the java 7
- fixes bugs in java 7
- works have been started in java 8
9 –When is schedule the new java 8 ?
In first time the java 8 would come in next year, but for a accession easy the update will come each two year, so in 2013.
With the news bellows:
- Conclusion in integration beteween jRockit and HotSpot making the HotRockit
- JSR 308: Annotations on Java Types
- JSR 310: Date and Time API
- JSR TBD: More Small Enhancements to the Java Programming Language
- JSR 335: Lambda Expressions for the Java Programming Language
- JSR TBD: Java Platform Module System
Also there are some plans for the java 9 like the self-tuning and the comunications with many languages inside the JVM.
10 –This separation of the java 7 in two part is it a good idea ?
In my opinion had big advantages
- Come a new version for the Java, thing don't happened in six year.
- Come new features without a big JDK.
- periodic update in other word a constant update's cycle.
- Large modifications like lambda and jigsaw will be more mature.
11 – With this release what happen with the 6 ?
There will are public updates at half 2012, after that if there is, for only security's update.
12 –And about the certifications ?
I not know, this is a Oracle's product, so the community has nothing to do with it.
13 –Then, is the java Core done only by Oracle ?
No, certifications and source of the java core are two different things, the certifications are of the Oracle. And java language, platform and virtual machine maintained for many companies like IBM, Apple, SAP, Mac, Azul, Intel, RedHat, Twitter, community, Oracle etc.
14 –When Oracle bought the SUN, java stated its dead, in other words learn java isn't good option.
It is not true, Oracle has been helped strong way, donated source from openjdk, joined all JUGs around world in the java 7 release party, did open source version for java FX, raised ME platform, etc.
About the java died, absolutely will have a long time, it is noteworthy nowadays java is the language most used in the world, a choice number one for developer and enterprise open source project, there are 9 millions java developers around earth. If the java stop there are too many java's projects, but it is lies because there are project from java 8 and beyond like for example, html 5, cloud computing etc.
15 –is Java run too slowly ?
When bi-nuclear processors were born and the evolution in java's project, it's gained more popularity about performance, proved to be faster than C and C++. development Leader of the Gmail, Paul Buchheit, in his blog did some tests, even with optimizations in GCC, the benchmark's code run faster in java then C also there are many article confirm that.
16- What is made in 2011 and what will wait in future ?
This year there was some features for the java:
- java 7 release
- The openjdk is reference implementation
- The java fx get a open source project
- Planes for the java 8 and beyond
- Java Me rise up and come back to work
- Soujava and LondoJug do part in JCP
For the future...
- More work in JVM
- More integration between JUGs around orbit
- More companies using and contribute the openjdk
- The javafx run anywhere
- More four updates in java 7
- Last public version for java 6
- Release Java ME 7
This article was told a few about the openjdk's project, what was did in 2011 and hope in the future. With expectations and periodic works 2012 gonna moving java forward.
The Java is Faster than C++ and C++ Sucks Unbiased Benchmark
Paul Buchheit, java running faster than c