With the release of v15 of RPAS and RPAS Applications in December 2016, let's review the great performance enhancements and functional enhancements that have been made across the platform.
Performance Enhancements in RPAS Fusion Client
RPAS Fusion Client performance has improved dramatically with the v15 release.
Since the initial release of the RPAS Fusion Client v13.2 over 5 years ago, application development has been bounded by an ADF architecture which was very heavy on server-side transactions. This architecture caused the RPAS Fusion Client to be a very 'chatty' application in terms of sending transactions to WebLogic for processing.
Because of this, customers often experienced performance challenges when performing activities in the Fusion Client pivot table. When moving from cell to cell in the pivot table, for example, it was not uncommon to see a delay of .25 - .5 seconds between each cell. As you can imagine (and may have experienced yourself), this resulted in a frustrating user experience. The lag reduced efficiency and impeded the user from fast data entry.
With RPAS v15.0 on FMW 12c, ADF has introduced much more client-side control that has allowed the Fusion Client architecture to be modified to significantly reduce the 'chattiness'. As a result, the performance of pivot table transactions has been greatly enhanced. Cell to cell movement is instantaneous.
One large customer that had been waiting for this release exclaimed, upon initial testing, "The users are very, very excited about the new release. The performance improvements in the Fusion Client are simply spectacular. Without doubt, we will be proceeding with RPAS 15 rollout."
Performance Enhancements in RPAS Server
The RPAS Server has also introduced a number of performance enhancements:
1. Historically, pre-range wizard masks could only be built based on 1 measure. At times, for an application like Assortment Planning, this necessitated creating a measure at 5-6 dimensions. The result of such a measure with a large nob count was large delays during wizard navigation. At some customers, the delay could be as long as 5 minutes between wizards.
With v15, the configuration of wizard masks is no longer constrained to 1 measure. It is now possible to configure multiple measure masks which effectively reduces the time to process the range. The aforementioned customer's wizard went from 5+ minutes to less than 5 seconds with these new RPAS capabilities.
2. Custom menu configuration, in terms of performance, has always been a difficult task due to the transition back to the calc rule group from the custom menu groups. To ensure the highest levels of performance, the configuration engineer needed to be very adept at configuring the menu to effectively reduce the transition time back to the calc rule group.
With v15, RPAS has enhanced the calculation engine to automate the optimization of this effort. The engineer no longer needs to worry about the optimization of the transition. They simply need to design the Custom Menu to take care of the required tasks. RPAS will then determine the affected measures in the calc rule group and execute the calculations for those measures. No longer will unnecessary calculations be run.
Not to be outdone by performance improvements, many functional enhancements have also been made to the platform. To highlight:
1. RPAS Fusion Client - drag and drop in Tile View workspace
2. RPAS Fusion Client - support for aggregation of images
3. RPAS Fusion Client - new Export to Excel API allows for WYSiWYG exports to excel, including images and formatting
4. RPAS Fusion Client - support for Safari browser on iPad
5. RPAS Server - administration of batch jobs through a new Front Door Administration tool via the Fusion Client
All Big Winners!
Distributed workbook storage allows designation of multiple file systems, e.g. specific locations, to store workbooks and data.
There are a number of other enhancements, both functional and technical. Check out the RPAS v15 Release Notes for the comprehensive list.
And take advantage of these new features by moving to v15 today!