Out of the box Eloqua imports activity into Salesforce as a long stream of information. This wouldn't work for our Account Managers, who don't have time to sort through the vast amount of information. We tried using the Profiler tool, but that also combined too much data and make it difficult for Account Managers to understand what their client was doing.
We decided to customize the marketing activities objective in Salesforce, and relate actions to a particular email, eliminating the stream of information including Opens and Clickthroughs.
Below is a screenshot of the first level of custom integration. Rather than listing all activities (such as opens) as a stream, activities are grouped by email, and tallied and reported in separate columns to show the relationship to that email.
Also, rather than requiring the copy and paste in the "Activity Detail," we have the URL string automatically pulled out and put in a separate column to hyperlink to the unique email. This makes it easy for Account Managers to click through to the email sent to their client.
Also, you'll see that "Website Visit" and "Email Clickthrough" are included the "Marketing Activity Name" column. We've already pivoted and blocked those actions from coming threw, because they're unnecessary. So an Account Manager can see the latest emails to go to his client, without seeing other activities that clog up object. Now when an Account Manager does want to see what happened in an email, they can click on the "Marketing Activity Name" to see all related activity listed (see below for a screenshot).
This screen provided additional information on activities that happened because of that email.