Setting Up Highly Available SAP Systems on Oracle SuperCluster—Part 1: Configuring Virtualization for SAP on Oracle SuperCluster

Version 1

by Jan Brosowski, Victor Galis, Gia-Khanh Nguyen, and Pierre Reynes

This article is Part 1 of a three-part series that describes steps for setting up SAP on Oracle SuperCluster in a highly available configuration. This article focuses on procedures for configuring the virtualization environment on Oracle SuperCluster.

Table of Contents
    Introduction
    Configuring Virtualization on Oracle SuperCluster for an HA SAP Deployment
    Creating the I/O Domains
    Final Thoughts
    See Also
    About the Authors

Introduction

This article is Part 1 of a three-part series that provides best practices and recommendations for setting up highly available SAP systems on Oracle engineered systems. A team of Oracle engineers and SAP experts used Oracle SuperCluster M7 in a sample deployment to compile and test the step-by-step procedures and recommendations provided in this article series.

To achieve high availability (HA), it is necessary to put mission-critical SAP components under the control of Oracle Solaris Cluster, creating a cluster of two or more zones on Oracle SuperCluster. Oracle Solaris Cluster can then orchestrate failover or disaster recovery strategies while managing infrastructure resources such as database, network connectivity, and shared storage.

OOS_Logo_small125.png
    in collaboration with
    OSC_Logo_small125.png
    Oracle Optimized Solutions provide tested and proven best practices for how to run software products on Oracle systems. Learn more.

This article series ("Setting up Highly Available SAP Systems on Oracle SuperCluster") divides configuration tasks into three articles:

• Part 1: Configuring Virtualization for SAP on Oracle SuperCluster. Part 1 is this article, which describes the steps needed to prepare virtual environments on Oracle SuperCluster. These virtual environments are Oracle VM Server for SPARC logical domains (LDOMs), which are separate, isolated I/O domains that help to improve application resiliency. The procedures here construct two I/O domain pairs on the nodes (Figure 1): one domain pair for SAP components and application servers that require advanced HA, and a second pair for application servers that are not mission-critical.
    • Part 2: Deploying and Configuring Oracle Solaris Cluster for SAP on Oracle SuperCluster. Part 2 describes the steps for installing the Oracle Solaris Cluster software, which is then used to configure two zone clusters across the two nodes (Figure 1). The first zone cluster is dedicated to the most-critical SAP components: the ABAP Central Services instance (ASCS) and Enqueue Replication Server instance (ERS). The second zone cluster is used for the SAP Primary Application Server (PAS) and any other mission-critical Additional Application Server (AAS).
    • Part 3: Installing Highly Available SAP with Oracle Solaris Cluster on Oracle SuperCluster. The third article describes the step-by-step procedures for installing SAP ABAP stack components in the zone clusters and configuring them for HA. Oracle Solaris Cluster implements the concept of logical hostnames that are used to monitor node availability and, if necessary, it can move an IP address (managed as a resource) transparently to other nodes.

f1.png

Figure 1. An HA configuration for SAP uses the zone clustering capabilities of Oracle Solaris Cluster.

Configuring Virtualization on Oracle SuperCluster for an HA SAP Deployment

Oracle no-charge virtualization technologies safely consolidate SAP application and database services and control the underlying compute, memory, I/O, and storage resources. Physical domains (PDOMs) are used to divide Oracle SuperCluster resources into multiple electrically isolated hardware partitions that can be completely powered up or down and manipulated without affecting each other. Each PDOM can be further divided using Oracle VM Server for SPARC LDOMs that each run an independent instance of Oracle Solaris 11.

In this example implementation, two application I/O domains are configured on each PDOM: one for mission-critical SAP components and application servers (such as ASCS/ERS and PAS) and another for SAP application servers that do not require high availability. The table below shows the naming scheme used for the I/O domains, which are created as Oracle Solaris 11 application domains.

Domain PurposeDomain NamePDOM
    HAAPP domain: for SAP components and application servers that require HA, such as ASCS/ERS and PASsapm7adm-haapp-0101

sapm7adm-haapp-0201
    PDOM 1

PDOM 2
    APP domain: for SAP application servers that do not require HAsapm7adm-app-0102

sapm7adm-app-0202
    PDOM 1

PDOM 2

Creating the I/O Domains

Oracle SuperCluster provides a web-based interface for the creation and management of I/O domains. To launch the web interface, point a browser to the control domain IP address on port 8000, for example:

https://<compute_node_1-Control_dom>:8000

Before creating I/O domains, review the configuration of the root domains and network resources. The network resources must be available from the user interface in order to be allocated to an I/O domain.

f2.png

Figure 2. Reviewing the network resources using the IO Domain Creation Tool.

The next screenshots illustrate the process that was followed to create a new I/O domain for HA application servers (named sapm7adm-haapp-0101) on PDOM 1.

Creating a New Network

The networks available in the I/O domain Creation tool are based on the InfiniBand network setup and the information entered in the Oracle SuperCluster configuration document. It is possible to add new network resources as needed at a later time. For detailed information on how to manage network resources, read the Oracle I/O Domain Administration Guide.

Note: New functionalities are regularly added to the IO Domain Creation Tool with each new release.

Network resources are often defined/allocated to a project at a later stage. The next two figures show the steps followed to add new network resources to the IO Domain Creation Tool.

f3.png

Figure 3. Select Network Resources in the IO Domain Creation Tool menu and click Add.

f4.png

Figure 4. Configure a new network address pool for the I/O domain.

Enter the start and end IP addresses and corresponding netmask. The addresses in the range should be available in your network and will be allocated as needed during the I/O domain creation process.

Reviewing the Physical Domain Configuration

Figure 5 shows the configuration of the physical domain.

f5.png

Figure 5. Physical domain configuration.

Review and create users as needed.

f6.png

Figure 6. Review users and resource allowances.

Creating the High Availability Application Domains on PDOM 1 and PDOM 2

The steps shown in Figure 7 to Figure 16 were followed to create an application I/O domain named sapm7adm-haapp-0101 on PDOM 1. Follow similar steps to create I/O domain sapm7adm-haapp-0201 on PDOM 2. Oracle Solaris Cluster is later installed in the pair of application Domains to provide an HA framework to the SAP components and application servers, such as ASCS/ERS and PAS. The steps are provided as an example; use capacity requirements data to make the right choices for your environment.

f7.png

Figure 7. Select Add IO Domain.

f8.png

Figure 8. Select the settings for the new I/O domain.

f9.png

Figure 9. Review the settings for the domain and click Allocate.

f10.png

Figure 10. Confirm the success of resource allocation, select the new domain, and click Deploy.

f11.png

Figure 11. Confirm that you want to deploy the domain as a new deployment group.

f12.png

Figure 12. The domain creation state changes to "Queued for Deployment."

f13.png

Figure 13. The domain creation state changes to "Creating LDOM."

f14.png

Figure 14. The domain creation state changes to "Installing OS."

f15.png

Figure 15. Domain creation details.

f16.png

Figure 16. Domain creation completed; the state changes to "Ready for Use."

Repeat the steps to create I/O domain sapm7adm-haapp-0201 on PDOM 2.

Creating the APP Domains on PDOM 1 and PDOM 2

Figure 17 and Figure 18 show the steps followed to create the second I/O domain, named sapm7adm-app-0102, on PDOM 1. The APP domain will contain the additional application servers that do not require HA.

f17.png

Figure 17. Creating the second I/O domain.

Select the setting for the second I/O domain.

f18.png

Figure 18. Select the settings for the second I/O domain (for non-HA application servers) and click Allocate.

Repeat the steps to create I/O domain sapm7adm-app-0202 on PDOM 2.

Figure 19 shows that all four I/O domains have been created successfully and their state is now "Ready for Use."

f19.png

Figure 19. Successful completion showing the two I/O domains created on each PDOM.

Note: Creating the APP domain on PDOM 2 is good practice, allowing you to spread application instances across the two PDOMs. This enables a minimum level of availability and scalability to be achieved for components that do not require automatic failover capabilities.

Final Thoughts

To achieve high availability, it is necessary to implement critical SAP components and services by clustering virtual environments. This article describes how to create two pairs of isolated I/O domains, one pair on each Oracle SuperCluster PDOM, preparing the environment so that Oracle Solaris Cluster can implement high availability and failover for mission-critical SAP application services.

Subsequent articles in this series describe the steps used to install and configure the Oracle Solaris Cluster software (see Part 2: Deploying and Configuring Oracle Solaris Cluster for SAP on Oracle SuperCluster), and to install and configure the SAP ABAP stack components in an HA configuration (see Part 3: Installing Highly Available SAP with Oracle Solaris Cluster on Oracle SuperCluster).

See Also

Refer to these resources for more information:

Online Resources

White Papers

Documentation

About the Authors

Jan Brosowski is a principal sales consultant for Oracle Systems in Europe North. Located in Walldorf, Germany, he is responsible for developing customer-specific architectures and operating models for both SAP and Hyperion systems, accompanying the projects from the requirements specification process to going live. Brosowski holds a Master of Business and Engineering degree and has been working for over 15 years with SAP systems in different roles.

Victor Galis is a master sales consultant, part of the global Oracle Solution Center organization. He supports customers and sales teams architecting SAP environments based on Oracle hardware and technology. He works with SAP Basis and DBA teams, systems and storage administrators, as well as business owners and executives. His role is to understand current environments, business requirements, and pain points as well as future growth and map them to SAP landscapes that meet both performance and high availability expectations. He has been involved with many SAP on Oracle SuperCluster customer environments as an architect and has provided deployment and go-live assistance. Galis is a SAP-certified consultant and Oracle Database administrator.

Gia-Khanh Nguyen is an architect for Oracle Solaris Cluster. He contributed to the product requirement and design specifications for features supporting HA and DR enterprise solutions and developed demonstrations of key features.

Pierre Reynes is a solution manager for Oracle Optimized Solution for SAP and Oracle Optimized Solution for PeopleSoft. He is responsible for driving the strategy and efforts to help raise customer and market awareness for Oracle Optimized Solutions in these areas. Reynes has over 25 years of experience in the computer and network industries.