SRL Thoughts

Version 1

In a previous paper, Standby Redo Logs - Why and How?,  I wrote about why you want to use Standby Redo Logs (SRLs) in your standby database environments. That paper also showed how to set them up and start using SRLs in your environment.

In this paper, I thought I would provide a few things that you may not know about SRLs. Some of this information was covered in the previous article, but it’s good to have all of this in one location. I write these items in no particular order.

Do not assign SRLs to a specific thread. – There is a temptation for DBAs who work on Oracle RAC databases to assign a SRL to a specific thread of redo.  The RAC DBA is already familiar with creating Online Redo Logs (ORLs) for a specific thread, one for each instance in the RAC database. So they must do similarly for SRLs, correct? The answer is no. Do not assign SRLs to a specific thread. If the SRL is assigned to a specific thread, then it can only be used by that thread and no other. If the SRL is not assigned to a thread, it can be used by any thread.

SRLs do not rotate like ORLs. – Most DBAs are used to seeing Online Redo Logs rotate. If there are three ORL groups, redo will be written to group 1, then group 2, and then group 3, and then back to group 1 again. Many DBAs working with SRLs for the first time assume SRLs rotate the same way, but they do not. If you have SRL groups 10, 11, 12, and 13 then the first redo transport stream will be written to SRL group 10. The next one will be written to SRL group 11. If group 10 becomes available again, the third redo stream will be written to SRL group 10. It is possible that SRL group 13 never gets used.

You should have one more SRL groups than ORL groups – If you go back to the article I linked at the start, there is a second diagram showing the flow of redo when SRLs are in place. Either MRP0 or ARCn is reading from the SRL and applying redo or creating an archived redo log. No matter which route is taken for the redo, the process can take some time. It is a good idea to have an extra SRL in case the redo writes from the SRLs take extra time.  Remember for Oracle RAC primary databases, to count the groups from all primary threads.

SRLs provide a near-zero data loss solution, even in Max Performance mode. – As I stated in the previous article, SRLs are great for achieving a near-zero data loss solution even in Max Performance mode. If you look at the second diagram in that article, you can see that the primary will transport redo to the SRL in near real time. You would use Max Protect mode when you absolutely cannot afford data loss, but SRLs get you close to near-zero data loss which is often good enough for most people. Here is a production database (name changed to protect the innocent) as seen in the DG Broker. We can see the configuration is Max Performance mode.

DGMGRL> show configuration

Configuration - orcl_orcls

Protection Mode: MaxPerformance

DGMGRL> show database orcls

Database - orcls

Role:               PHYSICAL STANDBY

Intended State:     APPLY-ON

Transport Lag:      0 seconds (computed 0 seconds ago)

Apply Lag:          4 hours 29 minutes 21 seconds (computed 0 seconds ago)

Average Apply Rate: 5.02 MByte/s

We can also see a transport lag of 0 seconds. I typically see between 0 and 2 seconds of transport lag on this system. One might say that this system does not generate a log of redo, which is why I included the Average Apply Rate in the output. This standby is applying 5 megabytes per second on average, which means the primary is generating lots of redo. This is not an idle system and I’m still seeing a near-zero data loss implementation.

For RAC standby, any node can receive redo to the SRLs. – If you have an Oracle RAC primary and an Oracle RAC standby, then any node in the primary can transport redo to the SRLs on any node in the standby. This is why I use VIPs for my LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 parameter settings in my configuration. I now have high availability for my redo transport. You may see SRLs active on any node in your RAC standby. That being said, in 12.1.0.2 and earlier, only one node will perform the redo apply.

If you use an Apply Delay, redo apply won’t take place until the log switch occurs. – If you look at my output from the DG Broker above, you’ll see a 0 second transport lag but an apply lag of almost 4.5 hours. I have set an Apply Delay of 4 hours in this standby database. Because the redo is written to the SRL, the redo from that SRL is not available to be applied until the log switch completes and that log switch passes the same apply delay. In my primary databases, I often set ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET to 1 hour so that I have ORL switches at most once per hour. The apply lag in the standby will often be between Apply Delay and Apply Delay+ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET. With my configuration, my apply lag is often between 4 and 5 hours. If you use an apply delay, then it’s a good idea to set the ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET as well. Too many people miss this point and assume the apply lag should be very close to the Apply Delay setting.

Redo Transport does not use ARCn if SRLs are in place. – Too often, I see a posting in some forum where it is assumed that ARCn is the only process that transports redo to the standby. If SRLs are in place, NSAn is used instead, or LNS if prior to 12c. Refer back to the diagrams in my earlier paper for details on how log transport works.

SRLs should be the same size and at least as large as the biggest ORL. – I try to keep the ORL and SRL groups all set to the same exact size. But if there are mixed ORL sizes, then make sure the SRLs are sized to the largest of the ORL groups. Redo transport can be written to any of the SRLs, so all of the SRLs need to be sized to handle redo from any ORL.

I hope these points help clarify a few misconceptions about SRLs and how they work in Data Guard environments.