Ravello Free Lab Service for vExperts FAQ

Version 4

What is the Free Lab Service for vExperts program?

Ravello’s free lab service for vExperts gives all current vExperts access to labs for the whole year with up to 1,000 CPU hours of cloud capacity for free each month. It is intended for personal and home lab usage only so that vExperts can learn and share with the virtualization community*. The offering includes free access to Ravello’s nested virtualization and software-defined networking technology with bare-metal cloud capacity on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, AWS or Google Cloud included. The free CPU hours will be topped up each month in a “use it or lose it” model hence we encourage you to make full use of your 1,000 CPU hours each month. When you exceed the 1,000 hours in the month your VMs will be auto-stopped.

* Oracle Ravello reserves the right to cancel an account that is misusing or abusing the service in any way.

Where do I go to sign up for my vExpert Free Lab Service account?

https://www.ravellosystems.com/go/vexpert

Is it really free? What’s the catch?

Yes, the Ravello free lab service is really free for vExperts. We are doing this because we want to give back to the community. You don’t even need to put in your credit card so you can be assured that there are no hidden or runaway cloud charges. We will never send you an invoice.

Is it a limited account? What are the restrictions?

The vExpert account does not have any restrictions except that you cannot use more than 1,000 CPU hours per month. If you wish to use more than 1,000 CPU hours we suggest that you open a separate paid account just like a regular Ravello user.

How do I track my CPU hours during the month?

You can view the resource usage and account status at any time by selecting Admin > Usage from the navigation pane. This page also reports the remaining CPU hours for the month.

Can I open support tickets?

Support will be provided on a best effort basis for the free service and we encourage the community to share knowledge and help each other via the Ravello community portal.