Domain Registration FAQs

Version 1

I want to cancel my Domain Registration, how do I do it?

Domain Registrations are not a refundable service. If you no longer wish to register this domain, you can modify your auto renewal settings so it does not renew in the future.

1. Login to your account on Dyn.com
    2. Click on ‘Billing’
    3. Click on ‘Auto Renew Settings’
    4. Click on either link from the Payment Method or Option columns
    5. Select the ‘Disable Auto Renew’ bubble
    6. Click Save Settings

Please note that Dyn does not initiate automatic renewals on customer accounts without customer consent. If you are using Paypal, your Paypal account information may have defaulted to auto renewal when you made a payment on the account previously.

I want to cancel my domains Secret Registration, how do I do it?

To disable secret registration please follow the steps below...

- Login to your account at account.dyn.com
    - Click "Domain names, DNS hosting, Dyn Email services" on the left panel
    - Navigate the the domain with which you have Secret Reg
    - Click "disable Secret Registration service for this domain." towards the middle of the page

I want to purchase Secret Registration for my domain, how do I do it?

To purchase secret registration please follow the steps below...

- Login to your account at account.dyn.com
    - Click "Domain names, DNS hosting, Dyn Email services" on the left panel
    - Navigate to the domain you wish to have Secret Reg
    - Click "purchase Secret Registration service for this domain." towards the middle of the page

How do I update my domain contact information?

In order to update your domain contact info, please follow these directions…

-Login to your account on Dyn.com
    -Click on ‘Account Settings’
    -Click on ‘Contact Manager’
    -Update the appropriate contacts.

If you created any new contact cards you will need to make sure they are linked to your domain registration. In order to do this please follow these steps…

-Click on ‘My Services’
    -Click on ‘Domain Registration' for the zone in question
    -Click ‘View and Edit' next to the Contacts section.
    -Select the correct contact cards to be used.
    -Click ‘Save Contact Info’

Please note that per ICANN, any updates to your contact Registrant data will result in a 60 day transfer lock on your domain.  https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ownership-2013-05-03-en

My domain was blocked because the contact information is invalid, what should I do?

If the domain has been blocked because the address has been input incorrectly, please update your Contact address information.

Per ICANN we must validate that all postal address fields are consistent across fields (for example: street exists in city, city exists in state/province, city matches postal code). (see https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/approved-with-specs-2013-09-17-en#whois-accuracy)

To update your address, please do the following:

-Login at https://account.dyn.com
    -Click on My Account
    -Select Contact Manager
    -Click Edit next to the contact highlighted in red and make the necessary corrections.

If you would like to shield your contact information, you may purchase Secret Registration.

My domain was blocked but the contact information is correct, what should I do?

If the system was unable to verify the contact information automatically, but you have confirmed that your contact is valid, any blocks on the affected domains should be removed. If you are still experiencing issues, please contact customer support.

I want to renew my expired domain, how can I do that?

A domain registration goes through a few stages after it expires, which vary depending on the TLD..

-Renewal-Grace Period: For the first 30 days after a domain has expired, you may simply renew the domain registration as normal. Note: not all TLD’s have a Grace Period, instead they go right to the Redemption Period upon expiration.

-Redemption Period: After Renewal-Grace, an expired domain enters Redemption for up to 40 days. In this state, you may still renew the domain; however the registry charges a substantial fee for domain redemption equal to ten (10) times the standard renewal fee (example: a renewal fee of $15.00 USD equals a redemption fee of $150.00 USD). If your domain is in Redemption and you still wish to renew it, please contact Support.

-Pending Delete: After Redemption, a domain enters Pending Delete for up to seven days. At the end of Pending Delete, the domain registration is completely removed from the registry and may be created again as a brand new domain name. Domains in Pending Delete cannot be recovered.

I want to transfer my domain to Dyn, how can I do that?

At present Dyn is no longer selling new domain names, or allowing transfers to our network.

I want to transfer my domain away from Dyn, how can I do that?

There are three steps you would need to take if you are looking to transfer your domain from Dyn.

The first step would be to unlock the domain on dyn.com. This can be done by logging into your account and selecting the 'My Services’ link from the left side of the page. From there, you can select the domain registration link for the domain you wish to transfer. From there you can toggle the lock button from locked to unlocked.

The second step, is to grab the authorization code. To receive the Auth Code for your domain, you can find it by logging on to your account on dyn.com and clicking the 'My Services' link from the left sidebar of this homepage. From there you would need to locate the 'Domain Registration' link for the domain you would like to receive the Auth Code for. In the middle of the page you will see the Auth Code for your domain.

The last step is to verify that secret registration is turned off. You can disable this setting by logging on to your account on dyn.com and clicking the 'My Services' link from the left sidebar of this homepage. From there you would need to locate the domain you would like to transfer and click on the blue link to the right of that domain labeled 'Secret Registration’. Towards the middle of the page you will see a blue link that asks if you would like to disable Secret Registration. Once clicked, you may need to wait an hour for the secret registration to fully disable.