FAQ: Ideation in MOSC

Version 11

lightbulb.png

Do you have a great idea for an Oracle product improvement, or an enhancement suggestion for the My Oracle Support Community?   In many cases, you can register that great idea here in MOSC!  The FAQ below answers some commonly asked questions about Ideation.

What is Ideation?

In the context of the My Oracle Support Community, Ideation is a creative process whereby individuals bring ideas for product improvements to the attention of the broader community population.  New ideas can be communicated, discussed, enhanced, and voted on by community members.  In some cases those ideas will be actualized if product development and strategy teams deem them fit for implementation.

Do all product areas engage in MOSC Ideation to promote product enhancements?

Not all of them.  At Oracle, it is up to the individual product areas and their corresponding Development teams to determine how they want to manage and promote requests for product enhancements.  At present, community ideation is available for many of the subspaces within E-Business Suite, PeopleSoft, and Construction & Engineering, and there is some engagement in ideation as well from Siebel.  Other product areas manage their enhancement requests in different ways, such as via special bug statuses in the bug database (where the initial request for enhancement is submitted via Service Request), or via third-party ideas solutions and socialization among user groups.  Additionally, the Support Community itself engages in ideation for users who want to suggest improvements to our MOSC community platform.

How can I tell if the subspace I am working in supports ideas?

There are many ways to tell, but the most obvious is to check the "Actions" widget (or the Actions menu) on the right side of the subspace's landing page.  If you see an option to "Create an idea", that means that the subspace is enabled to support the "Ideas" content type. Learn more on How to Submit an Idea in MOSC.

How can I browse the ideas that have already been submitted for my subspace?

From your subspace's landing page, click the "Content" menu, then select the "Ideas" content type.  You can then choose how you wish to order the ideas: sorted by score, by last update date, by number of comments, etc. Click the title of any listed idea to see its details.

I see an idea that I like very much.  How do I vote on it?

When viewing an idea, notice its current score just beneath the title.  There is an up arrow and a down arrow just to the right of the score.  Click either to register your "up" or "down" vote.

How does voting affect the idea's score?

An "up" vote adds 10 points to the idea's overall score.  A "down" vote subtracts 10 points from the score.

If I vote, will other viewers be able to tell how I voted personally?

It depends. The system captures your ID as one of the voters and displays your name in the "Vote History" to the right of the idea.  It does not show how you voted, however; only that you registered a vote of one sort or the other.  That said, if you are the first to vote on an idea, or if there are a very few number of overall voters, it may be possible to logically determine from the idea's present score how certain individuals voted.

Can I comment on the idea?

Yes. Collaboration on ideas for product improvement is highly encouraged.  However, we ask that you ONLY comment on the idea if you have valuable supporting information that will either help flesh out the idea's scope or have a strong counterargument to the idea.  Comments such as "Great idea! (or "Bad idea") and "Voted up!" (or "Voted down") do not progress the idea in a meaningful way beyond what your vote already registers. This type of behavior could be construed as spam and/or points gaming if it occurs often enough, so please refrain from adding extraneous commentary that does not add value to the discussion.  Also keep in mind that simply restating (in same or different words) the idea originator's thesis is not the same thing as progressing an idea.

Consider this example:

• Comment 1:  'I agree with this idea. Users would benefit from having a better way to calculate ROI that incorporates "x" and "y".'
    • Comment 2:  'I agree with this idea. However, although incorporating "x" and "y" into the calculation is essential as the poster stated, we should also consider including "z"...that would bring maximum benefit.'

In this example, Comment 1 only serves to restate exactly what the original poster said.  The act of voting up (alone) is sufficient to echo this sentiment, so the comment is extraneous.  Comment 2, on the other hand, takes the original poster's and adds to it.  This comment serves a purpose in that it helps to improve on the already provided improvement suggestion.

For additional detail about this topic, please see the My Oracle Support Community (MOSC) Posting Etiquette.

Can I change my vote once I register it?

Yes. You can change an "up" vote to a "down" vote (and vice versa) simply by clicking the opposite vote button.  However, you cannot "negate" (i.e., zero out) a vote that you have already made.  Essentially, once you register a vote on an idea, your sentiment will be captured as either "+10" to the idea's score (if your most recent vote was "up") or "-10" to the idea's score (if you last vote was "down"); you cannot return to a state in which your sentiment contributes 0 to the overall score.  This is a known issue with the voting options that makes it imperative that you consider very carefully each and every vote you make before registering them.  Please note that Oracle logged an enhancement request with Jive software in 2014 to report this issue, but no decision was made to implement it.

Do I get community points for voting on ideas?

Not for voting on individual ideas. If you create an idea of your own, however, you are granted points when another user votes on it (either up or down).

How is it decided whether or not an idea is implemented? If a certain score is reached, will the idea automatically be accepted?

That is not an easy question to answer, as MANY factors go into such decisions. To complicate matters, different Development teams for the different product areas have different considerations, not the least of which is feasibility.  Some ideas may be wonderful and may garner huge levels of support (i.e., large scores), but are simply too great in cost to actually implement in the present iteration/version of the product.  There is still value, however, in keeping such ideas exposed and on the roadmap for future implementation. On the other hand, other ideas may be very easy to implement and cost-free, requiring only the nod from a single decision-maker; these sorts of ideas may quickly make the cut.

The true value in community-supported ideation is to allow implementation teams to gather customer feedback on the desirability of suggestions for product improvement. It allows them to prioritize heavily-desired features that are "as equally feasible" as other, less popular options.  But ideation does not guarantee that an idea, even if wildly popular, will necessarily be implemented.