Oracle Community – How To FAQ

Why isn't my username the same one I used when I signed up?

By default, you are an anonymous community user when you join. Consequently we provide each user an alias that you can change if you like.

How can I change my Display Name?

• Click on the drop-down arrow next to your name in the upper right corner
      • In the Actions list on your profile page, click "Edit Profile"
      • Choose the "Your Profile" tab on this page
      • From Your Profile Tab, Select the Edit link next to your username. (Note: Click on the blue "Edit" link where it shows "The Handle name applies to the name that shows up...")
      • Select "Communities"
      • Select "Edit" if it is not automatically selected for you
      • Choose a public Display Name.
      • Select Confirm button
      • Note: You must log out of the community and then log back in for your change to take effect.

How can I change my email address?

• Click on the arrow beside your username at the top right corner of the page
      • Click "Edit Profile"
      • From the Edit page you can choose the tab: Avatar & Photos, Your Profile or Privacy
      • To change your Email, select > Your Profile
      • Click "Edit Manage your Oracle.com Profile account" located beside your email address
      • On the new page, click "My Profile" on the left side menu. You can change your email address, update your contact information or manage your newsletter subscriptions.

How can I update my profile information?

• Click "Edit Profile"
      • Enter your profile information on this page

How can I update my privacy options?

• Click "Edit Profile"
      • Click sub-tab “Privacy”
      • Update each field with your privacy preferences

How do I review my profile as visible to other users?

• Click "Edit Profile"
      • Click sub-tab “Privacy”
      • On the right side of the page, there is a section called “Preview your Profile”
      • Select a value from the drop-down to view your profile as seen by different users based on your settings

How do I select an avatar or change my photo?

From Edit Profile, choose the "Avatar & Photos" tab. Upload profile photos here or scroll down to select an avatar.

How do I upload a custom avatar?

You are able to upload your own custom avatars, to a max of two. In order to upload an avatar, click "Edit Profile" and go to the "Avatar & Photos" tab. Scroll down and click "add your own avatar" to upload a custom avatar. Note that you will have to wait for your avatar to be approved before you can go back and select it.

Are there any restrictions on my avatar or profile photo?

Your custom avatars will be moderated according to the Oracle Terms of Service. For example, avatars will be rejected if they are harassing, promote hatred, are in poor taste, violate copyright laws, or contain spam. Please avoid uploading any misleading avatars (for example, using an Ace playing card when you are not an Oracle ACE).  NOTE: You will not receive any notification that your avatar or profile photo has been approved, but most are approved within one business day. You will have to manually go back and select your avatar to use it once it has been approved.

How do I receive notifications when someone replies to a thread?

If you have created the thread, you automatically track updates in your communications tab. Beyond that, you can Follow a thread to receive an email notification when a reply to the thread is made. You can also “Follow” a space and sub-space. An RSS Feed to receive additional notifications is available. Additional options are available for customization of email notifications in Preferences.

How do I start a discussion (thread)?

To start a discussion:

1. If you are already in a group, space, or project, click Create > Discussion from the Actions menu on the right.
      2. Enter a title for your discussion in the field at the top.
      3. Your discussion is defaulted to be marked as a question to encourage people to answer for points. If your goal is to start a discussion but not look for a correct answer, leave the Mark this discussion as a question box unchecked.
      4. Write your discussion in the content field. You can format your text however you’d like, insert videos, images, hyperlinks, emoticons, or tables.
      5. Spell-check your discussion or view your content in HTML by clicking the icons in the upper right corner of the content field.
      6. The discussion will default for creation in the space you are currently in.  If you want to post in another space, click Change.
      7. Add relevant tags to the Tags field so your discussion is easily searchable.
      8. Click the Post Message button to post your discussion.
      9. People can respond to your discussion by clicking the Reply button in the lower right corner of the content field.
      10. When someone responds to your discussion with an answer you deem correct or helpful, click the Correct Answer or Helpful Answer button to award points for their response.
      11. Once your discussion is posted, you can manage it using the Actions menu on the right.

Why is my first post not showing up?

In order to combat spam, users' first posts are moderated in most spaces. Once your first post is approved, you will be able to post in the forums.  In MOS Community, the first post is not moderated.

I posted a message earlier, but now it is gone. What happened?

Two things could have happened. The message was deleted, or the message was moved to another community because the moderator determined that it was better suited for another community.

How can I delete my content?

- Go to the content in question

- On the right side menu select Delete

- Note: You’ll only see this option if you are the owner of the content.

Can I subscribe to a community or space?

Yes. You can subscribe to spaces. Click the green +Follow button on the upper right side of the page, or the Follow button in the banner. To unfollow, just re-click the button.

How do I receive notifications when someone replies to a thread? How do I set up RSS Feeds?

You will need to Follow a thread to receive an email notification when a reply to the thread is made. You can also “Subscribe” to a community and use an RSS Feed. RSS notifications using email is not currently supported, this feature is currently being pursued as an enhancement. In order to get notified by email, you no longer have to use RSS but can easily do that by setting your Preferences.

To subscribe to your thread or other threads:

1. Open the Thread you would like to subscribe
      2. Click the +Follow link in the upper right side of the page
      3. To Unsubscribe – re-click the “Follow” link and uncheck as needed

Instructions to create an RSS Feed:

Utilizing RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is a way for you to keep track of changes or additions to content you care about. By subscribing to the RSS feed for content, you're asking to have easy access to information about content changes or additions. To view RSS feeds you use an RSS reader (also known as an "aggregator"). This could be your web browser (recent versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari support this). There are also reader applications that are specifically designed to collect and aggregate RSS feeds.

1. Navigate to the Action Menu on the right had side
      2. On the right hand side, under the Action Menu, select the link “View Feeds”
      3. There is a list of RSS-Feed available for the content you wish to subscribe to
      4. Click the RSS Feed link located on the page or enter the tag in the open field (a new window will open)

RSS Readers:

• Simple RSS Reader (SRR) which will show you one message at a time.
      • RSS Ticker scrolls the messages across the top or bottom of the Firefox window. The Ticker is configurable.
      • Brief keeps a counter in the bottom right corner of how many unread posts (to subscribed communities) there are.
      • Slick RSS a full featured RSS reader that’s fully contained with the Chrome browser
      • RSS Feed Reader will show a simple overview of your RSS and Atom feeds in Chrome
      • RSS Feeds in Internet Explorer 9
      • There are other Readers but the above are some that our members use.

How do I reply to a message?

Every message has a Reply icon at the bottom of the message. Click the icon and fill the form to reply to the message. If you are not logged in, you will be prompted to log in. When you are finished, click Preview, verify your post, then click Go Back/Edit to make changes or additions. When you are finished, click Post.

How can I mark answers as correct or helpful?

This only works if you have flagged your thread as a question. You have 15 minutes after posting it to mark it as a question. After that, you will need to ask a moderator to do that for you. Then just click the appropriate button to mark an answer as correct or as helpful.

Can I attach files to my messages?

You can attach files only in restricted communities (e.g. MOSC). To attach a file from the advanced editor, click "Choose File" at the bottom. Attachments are scanned for viruses, but click on them at your own risk. Approved attachment types are listed above the "Choose File" button.

How do I format code?

Switch to the advanced editor, paste your code, mark it, click the >> (insert) button, select Syntax Highlighting, choose the style.

Where can I find all my posts?

Open your profile and then click the "Content" tab. There you can filter by authored, participated, and followed.

Why do I get so many emails?

To change this, you can edit your email preferences. Click on the drop down menu next to your username/handle in the top right corner. Then select preferences and adjust your email settings from there. You can also set email notifications by individual thread; if you are getting unwanted notifications, go to the thread and click “Stop receiving email notifications” in the right hand sidebar.

What is the User Reputation Model and Rewards & Recognition Program?

For information about this program, review Oracle Community – Rewards & Recognition FAQ.

What does the status reflect?

The Status points reflect the total points and level the person has achieved in Oracle Community.

What do the different colored icons represent in a list of discussions?

• A red icon bubble indicates either no replies have been posted to the question, or none of the replies that have been posted have been marked correct
      • A green icon bubble indicates a reply has been marked as correct to the question.
      • A grey icon bubble indicates it is discussion, not a question. A discussion cannot be marked as correct
      • A yellow icon bubble indicates that an answer has been marked as helpful.

How do I open a link in new tab or new window?

Right click on the link and choose Open in New Tab or Open in New Window.

How do I switch between threaded and flat view for discussions?

You can toggle between Nested View and Flat View by clicking the arrow next to your name on the upper right of the page. Select Preferences, which will take you to the General Preferences tab. On this tab, you can select the Discussion View Style you would like to view, Flat or Threaded. The Flat view displays responses in chronological order while the Nested view displays responses below the post the member responded to in the reply.

I can't reply to a thread, it doesn't have a reply icon or link. Why?

If a thread has a "lock" icon next to it, a community moderator has decided to lock it. No one may further reply to the thread until it is unlocked.

How do I “friend” a user and what happens when I send an invitation to a specific user to add them as a friend?

You can send a friend request to any user in Oracle Community. To do this, you visit the user’s profile, and then click the ADD AS FRIEND button. (You can also see this button if you hover over a user’s name in a discussion.) The button will change to “Awaiting Approval.” If the user approves your request, their posts will display in your communications stream and you can exchange direct messages with that user.

Can I send a direct message to someone?

You need to be Friends with another user before you can send a direct message.

Okay, I added the user as a friend. Can I send a direct message now?

You have to wait for the user to friend you in return. Once they have done so, you will see the MESSAGE button available next to Following in X streams on their profile. You just click the button and the Send Message pop-up opens. You can type a short message and click SEND.

How do I share content with a community?

As of now, you can use these content-sharing options only in private groups or spaces.

Option 1 - Create a new document

1. Click Create > Document.
      2. Enter a title for your document in the field at the top.
      3. Enter content into the content field. You can format your text however you'd like, or insert videos, images, hyperlinks, emoticons, and tables.
      4. Spell-check your document or view your content in HTML by clicking the icons in the upper right corner of the content field.
      5. To attach files to your document, click the Attach button beneath the content field, and select the files you want to upload.
      6. Add relevant tags to your document so it is easily searchable. You can choose from a list of popular tags or write your own.
      7. If you've created a personal document, choose an option under Visibility to allow others to view your document.
      8. Click Collaboration Options to choose people who can edit your document. Select a radio button that corresponds to the option you'd like. To add only specific people, enter their names into the text field, or click the Select People link to the right of the text field to choose people within your community.
        • If you don't choose any collaboration options before you publish your document, the default settings are used. This means anyone who has access to the place where you posted your document can view it, edit it, or comment on it.
        • To choose users who must approve your document for publication, enter their names into the text field, or click the Select People link to the right of the text field to choose people within your community.
        • Select an option under the Comment Policy section to allow or disallow comments or to set up moderation.
      9. Click the Save and Continue button to save your work as you go along. Click the Save Draft button to save a draft of your document so you can work on it later, or click the Cancel button to discard your document or any changes you made since you last saved it.
      10. When you are ready to post your document, click the Publish button.
      11. Once your document is posted, you can manage it using the Actions menu on the right.

Option 2 - Upload a file

1. Click Upload A File.
      2. Click the Click To Select A File link to browse a document you would like to upload or drag and drop your file.
      3. Review the title of the document in the Title field and update it as needed.
      4. Type a description in the Description field.
      5. Your file will load in your current space or click Change to find another space.
      6. Visibility allows you to choose who can view your document.
        • To keep it private, click the Hidden radio button.
        • To allow anyone in your community to view it, leave the Hidden and Specific radio buttons unchecked.
        • If you want only specific people to view it, click the Specific People radio button and then enter those people in the field.
      7. Add tags to the Tag field to help people find the document.
      8. Advanced Options allows you to choose people who can edit and comment on your document. Click the Advanced Options to expand the Collaboration Options Menu.
        • Select the box that corresponds with the option you would like.
        • To add only specific people, enter their names in to the text field.
        • You can choose to allow comments or close your document from further comments under the Restrict Comments section.
      9. Click Save draft to save your work to come back to later. Click Publish when you're ready for others to see your document.
      10. After you've saved or published a document, you’ll get a preview of the document that you can search, browse and comment on.
      11. Once your document is published, you can manage it using the Actions menu on the right.

Return to FAQ