From: Fahrin Kabir
Subject: Java Questions
Editor's note: We get plenty of email with suggestions or feedback about java.net. Fahrin Kabir wrote a thoughful note asking for answers about various Java-related topics for a high school project she is working on. I told her I would be happy to post her questions. Please use the feedback to provide answers to her questions. .
Thank you very much for agreeing to answer some of my questions through email. I really appreciate it. First of all, in my thesis for my project, I am trying to prove that Java is the best programming language of the 21st century. Here is my thesis:
Not only is Java a high-level programming language, but it is also a program that focuses on the representation of data, performs multithreaded tasks, and runs independent of computers, which makes Java the best computer programming language of the 21st century.
I need some information to support and prove my thesis. Here are the questions that I would like to ask you for my project:
If possible, would you please answer as many of these questions as you can? Thank you. I appreciate this very much.
- "Java technology is widely regarded as revolutionary"; do you agree with this statement?
- Do you think Java technology is growing faster than any other programming language?
- In your profession, do you use Java for programming? If so, how do you like it?
- As an expert, what is your opinion regarding the future of Java?
- Finally, do you have any special thoughts about Java?
Fahrin Kabir, student
Westmont High School in Campbell, CA
Editor's note: Actually, she initially wrote a different set of questions. I list them here in case you would like to answer any of these as well.
- I am still having trouble understanding the meaning of object-oriented. Can you please explain to me what, exactly, is an object-oriented program and what are its advantages. How is it helpful to programmers?
- In my research paper, I am writing about encapsulation, polymorphism, and inheritance under object-oriented programming. Can you tell me the advantages of each and how they are helpful? Also if there are any other important qualities of object-oriented programming, could you please explain those to me, including their advantages?
- What are some of the important qualities of a multithreaded programming language? How is a multithreaded program useful?
- What are some of the advantages of the Java programming language compared to other programs such as C++? What are some of Java's downsides/disadvantages compared to other programs?
- How has Java been useful to the world?
- How does an interpreter work?
- Can you please tell me more about write once, run everywhere? How exactly does this work? What are its advantages?
- I know Java is used for the Internet, and some other devices such as cell phones and watches. How can Java be programmed into cell phones, watches, and other devices?
- Are there any other special advantages of the program?
Editor's note: Send your letters to me at