Making Marketing Magic with Multi-Step Campaigns
If you're looking for a marketing tool that's highly customizable to fit your exact needs, adaptable in real time, and can be used to intrigue contacts, multi-step campaigns are exactly what you need. All you need to do is add the elements of your campaign to the campaign canvas and then connect them to create your campaign flow. It really is that simple. Here, you'll walk through the steps.
First, let's go over some things you'll want to get sorted ahead of time. It's kind of like planning a trip: sorting out the fine details ahead of time allows you to have a lot more fun when you head off on vacation.
The Steps Before the Multi-Step
Before launching right into a multi-step campaign, you'll want to take care of a few things that will make your life a bit easier in the long run. Here are some of the most important items you'll want to check off your to-do list:
- Thoroughly plan out your campaign. This includes documenting your campaign goals, target audience, and key messages. You'll also want to identify the appropriate channels to reach your audience and create emails, forms, landing pages and any other assets required for your campaign. It's great to get these bits and pieces sorted now, because if you need to add something after you've activated the campaign, you'll have to deactivate the campaign to make any changes. Any time you deactivate a campaign, it moves into Draft state, where it can stay for up to three months.
- If you want to be able to report on all of the form and landing page activity resulting from your campaign, be sure to add these to the campaign canvas. This will allow you to attribute form submits and page visits back to the campaign.
- Before activating your campaign, there is one important step you absolutely don't want to forget: testing. Always test your campaign before activation in order to catch typos, broken links, and other errors, and to make sure you're sending the right emails in your campaign flow.
Jumping into Action: Crafting a Multi-Step Campaign
- Click Create a Multi-Step Campaign.
- You'll have the option to select a template or use the blank campaign. At this point, the campaign canvas will open. Take a look at the image and key below for an idea of what you can expect to see:
- At the top of the canvas double click Untitled Campaign and type in a name for your campaign. The image below illustrates this:
- Now you're ready to configure the settings for your campaign.
- Click Options, then click Campaign Settings.
- Add a description of the campaign and set the campaign's start and end dates. Take a look at the figure below to see your options when selecting these dates.
- Click Advanced to configure a few additional details:
- If you want to allow a contact to enter the campaign more than once, click the Allow contacts to enter the campaign more than once option. If you select this option, after a contact enters the campaign, the contact can enter the campaign again. For example, use this option if you want to allow contacts to flow through a different path of your campaign and receive a different email, or if you have an ongoing campaign where assets regularly change each time the contact flows through the campaign.
- If you want to sync the campaign with your CRM, click the Sync with CRM option (check out the example of this below). For now, don't worry about filling in the CRM Campaign ID field - it will populate after Oracle Eloqua syncs with your CRM.
- Click X to close the settings.
- Configure any additional campaign information used by your organization by clicking Options > Campaign Fields. The Campaign Fields dialog is a perfect place to provide further information about the campaign that can also be used for reporting purposes. This will range from budget information to any custom campaign fields required by your organization. You can also add an end date notification on the Notifications tab.
- Now you're ready to add elements to the campaign canvas by double-clicking the element in the Campaign Steps pane. Popular elements are shown by default, but if you want to view all the available elements, click the Campaign Steps heading. By clicking the star icon, you can mark your favorite elements.
- To configure each element, double-click it. You'll be able to configure audience elements, asset elements, decision elements, and action elements.
- Connect the steps on the canvas to form the campaign flow.
- Click Save.
- Ensure that any Oracle Eloqua AppCloud apps on the campaign canvas are fully configured.
- Thoroughly test your campaign and the campaign assets. This includes sending test emails, previewing your landing pages, and submitting forms associated with the campaign.
It's Go-Time: Activating Your Campaign
- Open the campaign you want to activate.
- Click Activate. The Activate Campaign window that's pictured below will open. If you're an administrator, you'll also see additional Campaign Activation User options on the activate campaign window. As you can see, there are options to Start Now or Start Later and add a start date, and a field to decide the campaign's end date. You'll use these in the next step.
- Configure the activation:
- To start the campaign immediately, click Start Now.
- To choose a date for the campaign to start, click Start Later and schedule your specified start date and time. The default time zone will be based on your user profile, not the time zone from your local machine.
- Specify the campaign's duration using the Campaign Activation End Time field. The end time will always be midnight on the date selected. Remember that after this date, the campaign will become read-only.
- Click Activate or Schedule to save your changes. Oracle Eloqua will activate the campaign according to the schedule you set, and the campaign's status will change to either Active or Scheduled.
All Eyes on Your Campaign: Tracking Contacts After Activation
- The campaign will become read-only. From this point forward, you cannot reactivate the campaign, add contacts to it, or modify any settings. If you want to reuse the campaign, you'll need to copy it.
- Oracle Eloqua will remove all contacts who were members of a campaign element and they will exit the campaign.
- Oracle Eloqua will continue to track all campaign activity for 12 months after the campaign end date. If a contact opens an email, submits a form, or performs any other campaign-related activities, Oracle Eloqua will capture those actions and you'll have the opportunity to report on them.