The challenge and the initiative
Being a Campaign Manager in an events business is challenging but a fulfilling role. The main goal is always attracting and enticing visitors to attend the event, to convert and meet exhibitor’s needs by ensuring that your company achieves its targets. Panic mode always sets in, especially in the last few weeks before the time any of our events goes live.
Imagine this scenario, is sunny October, 3 weeks before one of our events, down on numbers, panic ensues, action needs to be taken. Solution? Behavioral communications which will create a new path for campaigns and a blur for the business.
Goals and success?
Our goal was to use Eloqua to run a behavioral campaign based on the website activity recorded by the platform in order to hit the targets.
Campaign plan and step by step implementation
In order to achieve the goal, the below steps has been followed:
- Touch-points definition: Website (a list of most relevant pages has been created), LinkedIn platform (LinkedIn campaign manager app has been configured), Facebook business page (data has been extracted and manually imported into the platform).
- Email comms were created to match the audience and the content of our data was researched on our website.
- Customer journey had been mapped out and a visualization was created to support input and activity from all the involved teams.
- Eloqua segments were created for all the relevant groups by using activity filter criteria.
- De-dupe criteria was applied for all segments created, by rank.
- Automated canvases were created to support previously defined plan and exclusion filters were used across all the live canvases for the 2019 campaign in order to avoid duplication in data. The behavioral campaign were defined as main, so all relevant data was moved to the automated canvases that had previously been created.
- All the segments were setup to add members regularly until campaign is deactivated, with a re-evaluation frequency of 4 hours (governed by our internal set-up).
- A series of 3 emails was added to each canvas with email 1 being triggered after a max of 24 hours after the website visit has been registered and the following emails after 48 hours at first stage and reduced time closer to the deadline. Emails were scheduled to be sent every day between 7am and 10pm.
- Campaign was activated and daily Eloqua Insights reports were setup and sent straight to our inboxes for close monitoring. No changes was made until the end date, as the results exceeded our expectations.
- All unengaged data was moved to a LinkedIn re-targeting campaign where the messaging has been aligned with the one in the email communication. The campaign brought us a significant number of conversions, at a cost of under £7 per conversion, a great achievement for a first time social campaign run through Eloqua by us.
- Bounceback data were used on Facebook to create Lookalike audiences and bring new contacts to our show floor and also grow our database.
How has this campaign impacted our business?
By having an automated flow that responded to our customers’ needs and gave them accurate deadlines and vital information, the campaign helped us to hit our targets and increased the overall engagement. Also, is saved us time and gave us the opportunity to focus on other channels, and minimize the manual work and reduce the potential mistakes.
What we achieved?
- - Open rate increase by 189%
- - Click-through rate increase by 713%
- - Click to open rate increase by 176%
- - Conversion rates increase by 31%
On the back of the great results I’ve obtained by running the behavioural campaign, the business understood the need and are now changing the way we engage and communicate with our customer. The results reinforced the message “customer first”.
Marketing cloud courses that have supported this campaign: