Introduction to the Marketing Challenge:
One of the main challenges for companies that start to use the digital marketing products is that they don’t know how to do a proper segmentation for their campaigns, which is impacting the efficiency of the campaign processing cycle. Although the development of the Eloqua campaign is right from the configuration side through all its elements (Form, Landing Page, etc...) , the outcome from the business perspective is not up to expectation. In this case, there will be a lot of question marks about the campaigns developers and the marketing application itself, and that’s exactly what I faced with one of my customers who were new Eloqua users. Their feedback was that they did everything by book, but there was a problem in the response rate and the campaigns were not matching the success criteria. They requested our support in order to check the bottlenecks and drawbacks in their campaigns, how to solve these issues and at the end to provide hands-on sessions for the company configurators.
Goals for Solving the Marketing Challenge:
The main objective of my team is to let our customers operate with speed, simplicity and trust, based on a predefined key objective. So, when we started to check this customer’s marketing campaign configuration, we followed a strategy which started by gathering all the information related to the current operational campaigns including their high-level design, as well as the detailed design and configuration. We then extracted all the reports and analysis for these campaigns to validate the customer feedback.
Our customer faced an issue in the campaign's efficiency and the low response rate. His initial requirements are to check all his current operational campaigns, to support him by increasing the response rate initially by 15% and to teach his digital marketing department how to configure campaigns and segments properly. First, we started to find common design and configuration issues in most of the developed campaigns by putting duplicate audiencse within different segments, based on a detailed document provided to the customer. So, he found out that our findings and recommendations matched his initial requirements, so he agreed to proceed with our plan. Then, we started to work, enhance and apply our best practices on one of the campaigns as a prototype to check if the desired output and response rate would be optimized as per the customer request. We used the Oracle Eloqua segmentation features (Merge, Intersect, Trim) and we used especially the Interest feature to ensure that the target audience is unique, using filters. Finally, we found that the customer is using only static resources for managing contacts, so we proposed to use the active sources. Besides, we found some wrong configuration regarding the criteria, so we created the filter including multiple criteria using filter comparators. In a later phase, we gave sessions for the customer’s Digital Marketing configurators on how to use the segment templates to get the benefit of using prebuilt segments, instead of creating blank segments until they have the knowledge and experience for creating segments from scratch. At the end of our interaction, the prototype campaign testing provided results better by 35%.
Dynamic Segmentation Sample
“Eloqua Luminary: Analysis” was one of the most important courses that we used to define where the problem is with the help of the reporting side by checking the throughput and response rate for the campaign which was the last verification step to test the effectiveness of our enhancements.
Also, we used the “B2B: Profile & Target” course in order to be able to track the campaign visitors actions & behaviors. We used the “B2B: Convert with Custom Objects” to empower the customer with the most customized features to add more relevant fields to his industry and how to use the segmentation based on these custom objects.
Finally, all Oracle Eloqua courses in general were very supportive as they gave us the essentials for managing Eloqua Instances. But based on a lot of trial and error mechanism, we got the authentic experience which helped us to find what is suitable for an industry or a customer. Although it may not fit in another industry or another customer, you need to implement the plan based on the real situation and act based on it, using a pre-defined methodology.
After working for three months with this customer going through revising all his current campaigns and segments by applying the best practices for configuration, his campaigns response rate increased by approximately 20%. So, he considered that this is a good start for revamping his campaigns and segments’ design. Also, during this period we supported his digital marketing campaign designers by showing them how to develop and configure an operational and successful campaign targeting its actual audience.