Skip navigation

Separation of 'follow user' and 'friend request'

score 190
You have not voted. Active

Hello,

I'm new to OTN and currently following the Welcome Aboard mission to discover the functionalities here.

One of the tasks is to follow a user.

This has given me some headache because I didn't understand what I need to do.

My expectation: I visit a user profile and there is a simple follow button. When I follow a user I get a notification when they make a thread or reply or post content. This would appear in my 'Your places' area where I see spaces, groups and users which/whom I follow.

Reality: In the FAQ section I finally found that following a user means I have to send a friend request and the user in question has to accept it and then we are able to exchange private messages.

That's not what I want. I don't want to bother people with friend requests from an unknown person. Probably they won't accept anyway because they don't know me and fear that I will start spamming their inboxes with questions.

I want to just follow for example Jonathan Lewis because I think his answers are generally an interesting read to learn something, even if I didn't ask the question. Basically like following someone on Twitter.

I don't need him to be friends with me or even be forced to follow my content just because he accepted a friend request.

Both functionalities (follow and friends) are useful, but they are or should be different things.

Apologies if this is a duplicate, but I searched this board and couldn't find a similar topic.

And hey, I can accomplish 'post an idea' without posting nonsense. If my desired functionality already exists please provide me with information/link on how to 'only follow'.

Regards, Christoph

Comments

Vote history