This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 5:46 AM by 976420 RSS

Implementation of DAC with PLSQL ETL

857763 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We were planning to implement the ETL using PLSQL and not Informatica but we were interested in using DAC for scheduling and managing the ETL(PLSQL) runs in the way it currently does for Informatica. Can you please let us know if this is feasible.

Primarily we want to use the DAC parameter management, Task management, Scheduling management and parallel execution of tasks.

Thanks in Advance...
  • 1. Re: Implementation of DAC with PLSQL ETL
    Ahsan Shah Expert
    You can run a stored procedure from either Informatica (pre/post SQL) or from the DAC via a TASK action. Check the DAC configuration guide under the section "7 About Index, Table and Task Actions" for details on this. If this was helpful please mark as helpful or correct.
  • 2. Re: Implementation of DAC with PLSQL ETL
    857763 Newbie
    Thank you for the response...

Yes.. we are aware that we can run the PLSQL procedures via DAC Tasks, but, our requirement is that DAC functions totaly independent of Informatica. To say in simple words we are rewriting our ETL code in PLSQL, and want to use DAC for scheduling and executions of our ETL code (PLSQL procedures). The prime reason for this is DAC handles ETL Run History and the last extract time and also provides parallel execution of ETL Tasks.

Please let us know in case this is possible?
  • 3. Re: Implementation of DAC with PLSQL ETL
    Ahsan Shah Expert
    So are you not using the BI Apps?? Is this for a custom DW? I cannot possibly imagine the advantage of rewriting OBIA ETL code in pl/sql..it seems to defeat the purpose of pre-packaged apps. To answer you questions, I do not believe you can just remove the ETL tool completely from the equation. The DAC is tightly integrated with Informatica and tasks translate to PMCMD commands. As you mentioned, you can add task actions to run stored procedures as pre/post tasks actions or table actions but seems you just want to remove the ETL tool completely from the picture. The DAC used Informatica Folder (logical to physical mappings), Task phases, folder priorities, and source/target dependencies to calculate the execution order for each execution plan. If you use only pl/sql and removing Informatica, how would the DAC know how to order the tasks for parallell execution? Will you manually define the source, targets, lookups, phases?? This does not seem feasible. Bottom line, you can use pl/sql and the DAC parameters but I do not believe you can replace the entire ETL process with just pl/sql and DAC.
  • 4. Re: Implementation of DAC with PLSQL ETL
    976420 Newbie
    Hi everyone,

Is there a way to drop all indices in my datawarehouse via DAC just before loading it, and create them after loading?

Thank you
    Youssef

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points