This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 3:00 PM by EJP RSS

Software caused connection abort?

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am receiving the following errors:

Nov 20 08:13:07 nexus sendmail[29376]: [ID 801593 mail.crit] NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): getrequests: accept: Software caused connection abort

I have not been able to find anything regarding the cause or resolution of this issue - does anyone have a pointer for me?

Mike
  • 1. Re: Software caused connection abort?
    807567 Newbie
    Hopefully you've long since addressed this, but for those who are still looking...

Anything that externally interrupts your network access can cause Windows to return "software caused connection abort". It's the "General Protection Fault" of network errors (that dates me, doesn't it?)

Look for firewalls intermittently swiping packets, flaky NICs, bad cables, and in my case, a DHCP server that was occasionally, briefly denying the assigned IP address, just long enough to kill existing connections.

The only way I found that problem was checking the Event Log and finding DHCPNACK errors. I reserved a specific IP for my computer, configured Windows with a static LAN IP address (usually 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x), and set the DHCP Client service to manual start / off. Error free connections now.
  • 2. Re: Software caused connection abort?
    EJP Guru
    Anything that externally interrupts your network access can cause Windows to return "software caused connection abort".
    Ancient thread, but it is being cited elsewhere, so I am obliged to note that this statement is entirely incorrect. This condition is a specific response to a specific problem. See this MSDN article, and Some information about 'software caused connection abort'.

You appear to be confusing thi condition with 'connection reset by peer'.