5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2011 12:08 PM by laurelH RSS

Upgrading Alternatives (Upgrading from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3)

laurelH
      I am a junior DBA in the process of planning an upgrade from RHEL 5 64bit 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3

I have read through the various documents and notes on the upgrade process and have come up with the step below.

Grid Infrastructure Patches

1.     Patch the release 11.1 Oracle Clusterware home with the patch for bug 7308467. (p7308467_111070_Linux-x86.zip)

2.     Patch the release 11.2.0.1 Oracle Grid Infrastructure home (11.2.0.1.0) with the 9706490 patch. (p9706490_112010_Linux-x86-64.zip)

ASM Bug Patches

1. Patch 12539000: 11203:ASM UPGRADE FAILED ON FIRST NODE WITH ORA-03113 (p12539000_112021_Linux-x86-64.zip)

Upgrade Grid Infrastructure and the database

1.     Do and out of place upgrade and invoke runInstaller which will automaticall involke DBUA to upgrade Grid Infrastructure and the database.

ALTERNATIVE PLAN

I have presented the plan to our database consultant and have been advised that the best and simplest way to proceed is to.

1.     Backup the database (logical / Physical)
      2.     Backup the Oracle Home
      3.     De-install GI and the database
      4.     Perform a new install of GI and the DB
      5.     Apply differences in spfie/pfile
      6.     Restore the database.

I asked why people bother to go through the upgrade process and didn’t feel I got a satisfactory answer.
      I was referred to the analogy of re-installing or upgrading Windows on a P.C ( I would re-install by the way)

Can someone please tell me why one way is better that the other and in which cases you would chose re-installation over an upgrade.

Thanks in advanced for your comments.
        • 1. Re: Upgrading Alternatives (Upgrading from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3)
          Brian Bontrager
          I was referred to the analogy of re-installing or upgrading Windows on a P.C
          Would you do a full re-install just to upgrade from Windows Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2? That is probably a closer analogy to this situation.

It sounds like you have more research supporting your approach than your consultant has supporting their alternative. I tend to trust researched solutions more than general rule-of-thumb approaches.

Have you compared the outage window required to perform the upgrade as documented to the outage window required for a full uninstall,reinstall,restore approach?
          • 2. Re: Upgrading Alternatives (Upgrading from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3)
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            You are also missing Step 7 - "Upgrade the database" - just a restore to the new ORACLE_HOME is not sufficient, the database will then need to be upgraded.

HTH
            Srini
            • 3. Re: Upgrading Alternatives (Upgrading from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3)
              laurelH
              Following up on your last comment
              Have you compared the outage window required to perform the upgrade as documented to the outage window required for a full uninstall,reinstall,restore approach?
              Can I assume that the time taken to complete each of the methods is the main factor in the upgrade process being the way it is.

By this I mean that if I had a VLDB and a small maintenance window the upgrading process would be far superior. ie no need to make copies of the datafiles.

Does anyone else no of any other reasons why one method is superior to the other?
              • 4. Re: Upgrading Alternatives (Upgrading from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3)
                Think about this, if you de-install your asm you will loose your data and diskgroups along with asm and you will have to repeat everything from installing to creating disk groups and then restore your db...why go from NY to CALI to go Boston. Why not go NY to Boston straight up.

This is what I would do if I had about 15-20 of additional space where oracle home will reside.
                - Full physical backup
                - shutdown db
                - shutdown asm
                - shutdown listener
                - runInstaller to install ASM first into a seperate home (can be on a same drive but seperate dir) . The reason I wanna do this is because incase you want to revert back to 11.2.0.1 you will still have binaries on your drive.
                - runInstaller to install database binaries into separate home as software only and once successful, you can manually upgarde you database later. The same reason here, in case you want to revert back but only before you upgrade db.

of course, there are other changes that you will have to account for during this process such as changing init parameter and updating your listener and all that. But keeping your old binaries at least temproary can save you sometime. I really would not de-install my existing home just to upgrade, that's a big NO NO to me.
                • 5. Re: Upgrading Alternatives (Upgrading from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.3)
                  laurelH
                  Thanks for the responses.

I think I going to go with the out of place upgrade and not do a from scratch re-install as the consensus seems to be that this is the way to go.