9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2011 7:28 PM by user1101726 RSS

Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode

alarzabal
      Hello,

We are getting a blank page when using the APEX Listener in standalone mode from 64-bit machines (Linux, Unix, or Windows), but it works when the apex.war/APEX Listener is launched from a Windows XP 32-bit machine.

Help, please!

Thanks,

Alex.
        • 1. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
          alarzabal
          Oh, and I can get to listenerConfigure, then listenerAdmin, but not to apex/apex or apex/apex_admin
          • 2. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
            fac586
            Question appears to be more appropriate for the +{forum:id=858}+ forum.
            • 3. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
              Udo
              Hello Alex,

I had no problems on either Win 7 64bit or Ubuntu 64 bit to get the APEX Listener up and running in standalone mode. However, you have to make sure you meet the JDK requirements described in the Installation Guide (JDK 1.6.0_20 or higher). Another aspect could be the firewall to the database. Is it allways the same database and are you able to connect to it from the 64bit boxes, e.g. using SQL Developer?
              Do you see any kind of error message on the 64bit systems? The console output might help to get a clue on what's going wrong on your 64bit systems...

-Udo
              • 4. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
                alarzabal
                In our Windows 7 64bit machine, our java -version is 1.6.0_29. In our RHEL 64bit machine, it's 1.6.0_20.

There are no errors in the logs. We can actually do View Source on the blank page and we see HTML code.

It is the same database behind our firewall that we can access via SQL Developer, etc. Both the Windows and RHEL machine sit behind the firewall, too.

It's working for our Windows XP 32bit java 1.6.0_25 machine.
                • 5. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
                  alarzabal
                  BTW, this is how we are launching the apex.war app, in case it's helpful:

java -Dapex.images=/pcm/apex_home/images -Dapex.port=8070 -Dapex.home=/pcm/apex -jar apex.war

The listener is starting Ok. We can see the code behind the blank page. It just seems that it can't find the "/i/" directory, but we are indicating were the images directory is, and we've confirmed that the files exist
                  • 6. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
                    Udo
                    BTW, this is how we are launching the apex.war app, in case it's helpful:
                    java -Dapex.images=/pcm/apex_home/images -Dapex.port=8070 -Dapex.home=/pcm/apex -jar apex.war
                    It helps a bit. Combined with the fact of the unresolved "/i/" directory it might be a problem to be solved soon, as it would explain the symptoms you see. Now, let's try to track it down:
                    Please check whether +/pcm/apex_home/images+ is readable for the user/group you use to start the APEX Listener. Also make sure it actually contains the images that correspond to the APEX version you are trying to access and that the APEX instance is configured to use "/i/" as Image Prefix.
                    What kind of result do you receive when you simply call

http://<hostname>:8070/i/apex_version.txt

This call should work if you have configured the right directory with proper permissions. If it doesn't: How did you create the contents in you apex.home +/pcm/apex+ ? Did you copy it from an initial installation? If you use an older version of APEX Listener, you may encounter the problem that the command line parameter apex.images doesn't overwrite an existing old value in the apex.properties in the apex.home , so if you previously configured your APEX Listener to use a different images directory, it might still try to use that directory. To solve that problem, you should use the most recent release of the APEX Listener. (It would have been a good idea to post the version you are currently using anyway...)

-Udo
                    • 7. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
                      alarzabal
                      This issue was resolved. Our images folder was missing some images, which I still can't explain how that happened, but it is what it is, as dumb as it sounds :-(

Thank you for your help!

BTW, we are having another issue, but we'll open a separate thread to see if we can help with that one.

Thanks again,

A.
                      • 8. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
                        Udo
                        It doesn't sound dumb, it sounds more like everyday business. I'd recommend to use Firebug or similar - it makes detecting issues like that much easier.
                        Anyway, the most important thing is you're now able to use APEX Listener (again).
                        Please mark this thread as answered and mark helpful or correct answers so others coming by can spot relevant post easily.

Thanks,

Udo
                        • 9. Re: Getting blank page using APEX Listener in standalone mode
                          user1101726
                          I had similar issue with Standalone Apex Listener on AIX deployed as follows :
                          /usr/java6_64/jre/bin/java -Dapex.home=/opt/oracle/v11.2.0/Apex4.1/apex_listener/standalone_listener_basedir -Dapex.port=8080 -Dapex.images=/opt/oracle/Apex/images/apex4.1.0/images -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/oracle/v11.2.0/Apex4.1/apex_listener/standalone_listener_tempdir -Dapex.erase=true -jar /opt/oracle/v11.2.0/Apex4.1/apex_listener/apex.war
                          After attempting the actions detailed in this thread, i still had no success, however the advice given sent me in the right direction

Turns out my problem was the path to the images directory that I'd specified within my java deploy
                          - It needed the trailing slash !

that is : -Dapex.images=/opt/oracle/Apex/images/apex4.1.0/images as initially deployed failed
                          where as -Dapex.images=/opt/oracle/Apex/images/apex4.1.0/images/ worked

Regards

David