6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2012 1:19 PM by Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle RSS

SQl Developer won't start

I am using Windows XP Professional. I am also using Java 1.6.26. Whenever I try to start SQL Developer, nothing happens. Is there a log for SQL Developer that I could look at somewhere on my machine? I don't get any errors.... its just that nothing happens. I can see the sqldeveloper.exe process pop up momentarily and then disappear sometimes when I look at Task Manager while trying to start SQL Developer. Any advice?
        • 1. Re: SQl Developer won't start
          mwickham
          this is unusual that nothing happens.

Try downloading the 32 bit version with JDK. Unzip in a non-Oracle home then start that.
          • 2. Re: SQl Developer won't start
            -K-
            First of all, did you install in a new, clean directory? Else you'll have a corrupted installation.
            If you run from \sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe, do you get any output in the opened console when starting up? This could help diagnosing the problem.

K.
            • 3. Re: SQl Developer won't start
              Hi - On my computer it can take up to 2 minutes before the SQL Dev GUI shows up after clicking on the sqldeveloper.exe green triangle icon. You may try waiting a little and see if that works.
              • 4. Re: SQl Developer won't start
                -K-
                I can see the sqldeveloper.exe process pop up momentarily and then disappear
                • 5. Re: SQl Developer won't start
                  what a nightmare install oracle 11g in windows 7, it's an awful experience, i take introduction to sql and workshop I from oracle university, and i need to practice with in my 32 bit laptop SQL developer simply doesn't works, my first install was corrupted, then i reinstall and get a second no functional installation and neither of both can be uninstaled. i think that i may be need to reinstala the operating system, what a waste of time :-(

Edited by: 979160 on 29-dic-2012 11:10
                  • 6. Re: SQl Developer won't start
                    Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle
                    You can bypass the entire Oracle installation process and use our Developer Days Hands On Lab environment instead
                    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/databaseappdev-vm-161299.html

Just download, install Virtual Box, import the appliance, start it, and run SQL Developer. Everything's ready to go for you.