7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2011 8:13 PM by 904568 RSS

Sharing ZFS via NFS and mounting on OSX

I need some help sharing and mounting a ZFS mount.

I have a pool setup and a SMB share all working. Owner of the ZFS files is user "nas" group "nas"

I have tried zfs set sharenfs=on pool/share

I am trying to mount this on a OSX client and it appears to mount however when I even try to cd into the mount point it says Permission denied. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
        • 1. Re: Sharing ZFS via NFS and mounting on OSX
          That's exactly what I've been fighting with tonight. Except my client was another solaris box. Server: Solaris 11, Client: Solaris 10. In the end I made it work by doing it the more traditional way:

share -F nfs -o rw=10.1.1.10 /rpool/data

I have a fresh install.. wanted to set up a share to move data back to it. Right out of the box, following several how-tos (which all essentially said the same thing), I couldn't get past the permission denied problem, until I used 'share'. Seems like the zfs set method isn't quite behaving. It's such a neat feature, I was disappointed it wasn't working for me.
          • 2. Re: Sharing ZFS via NFS and mounting on OSX
            hmm, I tried that but it didn't work either. In fact it wouldn't even mount.
            • 3. Re: Sharing ZFS via NFS and mounting on OSX
              After re-reading your post, It sounds like a permissions thing, actually .. the ID on the client needs to have execute permissions on the directory in order to CD into it. Is it world +x ?  If not, does your uid on the client side match something that can execute a cd into that directory on the server side? To test, you could try and chmod 777 the directory on the server, long enough to see if your able to cd into it from the client.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
              • 4. Re: Sharing ZFS via NFS and mounting on OSX
                yeah doing a chmod 777 to the pool/share did the trick. only issue then is that it created files with permissions with the UID and GID of my OSX system rather than my solaris user "nas". I guess thats normal way NFS works. I've never used NFS before so its all new to me. Is there a way to force it to a particular UID and GID?
                • 5. Re: Sharing ZFS via NFS and mounting on OSX
                  Well, the completely lazy way would be make your client UID and your nfs UID the same (change one or the other).

But if you don't want to cheat, I think you can get there with map_static:

map_static
                  This option enables static mapping. It specifies the name of the
                  file that describes the uid/gid mapping, e.g.

map_static=/etc/nfs/foobar.map

The file’s format looks like this

# Mapping for client foobar:
                  # remote local
                  uid 0-99 - # squash these
                  uid 100-500 1000 # map 100-500 to 1000-1500
                  gid 0-49 - # squash these
                  gid 50-100 700 # map 50-100 to 700-750
                  • 6. Re: Sharing ZFS via NFS and mounting on OSX
                    Is this done on the server or client? If on the server where do I configure this?
                    • 7. Re: Sharing ZFS via NFS and mounting on OSX
                      Yup, on the server. Create a file called /etc/nfs.map, populate it something like this:

# remote local
                      gid 123 1234
                      uid 234 2345

Then in the export options, include map_static=/etc/nfs.map.

For example: share -F nfs -o rw=192.168.1.123,map_static=/etc/nfs.map

Note that you'll need a unique map for each export you do. And if you enounter issues, try just exporting to the ip address instead of the subnet. (if you don't already)