This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 4:20 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Hello, Am I right place?

905505 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
Currently I am play with Java Parser(javac) for personal interesting. It's pretty good.

I'm going to get some informations from it's AST and store them into my repository. I am not need generate .class file.

Therefore, I think, I will have many technical questions for doing this job.

Finally, I found here! this forum :-)
so, am I at the right place for asking about driving java parser and internal structure? if not, please let me know webpage or other forum.

P.S. If I am rude, sorry about that. I'm not good at english.

Regards,

Minhyuk Kwon.
  • 1. Re: Hello, Am I right place?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hiya.

The only answer I can give is "you can try". You see what you need is very specific and incredibly low level; there are a few people visiting this forum that actually know the internals of the JVM and compiler design and might be able to answer a few questions, but I wouldn't count on it. Most of us are high level Java programmers; we know the syntax of the language and know how to use the tools, but not how they are built.

But as I said, you can try. Perhaps someone has already been where you are going. Note that Sun/Oracle provides plenty of technical documentation you can find answers in. To start with there are the JVM specs:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jvms/second_edition/html/VMSpecTOC.doc.html

Quite old, but most of this still applies. Especially the chapter 4 on "The class File Format" might interest you.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points