1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 3:04 PM by Martin Brambley

is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down

Martin Brambley
      i raised another query about this but had no replies - I have also raised 2 SR's to know avail yet

please help if you can:

I added extra cpu's and mem to a vm server (the only one in a pool) - now nothing works

if i try to rediscover the server it says:
      OVMAPI_1009E This interface com.oracle.ovm.mgr.api.physical.Processor / Processor already exists (Processor (1)

also if i try to migrate the VM's to the unnasigned folder it complains :

OVMAPI_6046E ActionEngine: null targetServer: - error(NULL)

----

i am worried what will happen if i re-install oraclevm server on the server while there are still vm's assigned to it and not moved to the unnasigned folder - will this be ok?
      is this re-install the best course of action?
        • 1. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
          nasamang
          We ran into this issue, and currently just downgraded until the bug can be resolved. I would recommend that you remove the extra memory/cpu until Oracle gives you a workaround. Reinstalling the server may work, but if these are production environments, you should tread lightly and have Oracle guide you.
          • 2. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
            Martin Brambley
            oracle have said in SR 3-5051950111: how do i add cpu and memory to vm server
            that this should have worked and its a bug
            but i just need a way out

can someone tell me what would happen if i just re installed vm-server on the physical server (Avi are you there?)

all guest and luns are on the SAN not on the servers internal storage BUT some of the guests cannot be moved to the unnasigned folder
            • 3. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
              Avi Miller-Oracle
              Martin Brambley wrote:
              can someone tell me what would happen if i just re installed vm-server on the physical server (Avi are you there?)
              Sorry, I've been off having eye surgery this week, so haven't been able to keep up with the forums.

I'm not sure that re-installing would work 100% -- because the server would have the same UUID, you're probably actually better off re-installing the Manager, to be honest. Record the UUID of the Manager installation (Help -> About) and then erase and re-install the Manager. You'll have to rediscover the server and repositories, but the rediscovery should rebuild the server elements properly. And you can do this while the VMs continue to run, which is a bonus to uptime.
              • 4. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                Martin Brambley
                Hi!

hope the eye is alright

im worried ...
                oracle have now said its a bug and they are going to open one for me... but they are not working in my timezone and those in my timezone dont seem to know much about this
                but i have 8 logical envs down and people screaming at me
                if i do as you say will this effect oracles attempts to support me through metalink (which isnt any suggestions as yet other than sending them logs)

what should i do? waiting for support from oracle can take forever its already an escalated P2

---

extra info - the server seems fine and reports the correct memory on the console etc - however at boot the message:
                starting udev FAILED

udev timesout - then the boot carrys on as normal - is the server sicker than i think?

thanks Avi
                • 5. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                  Avi Miller-Oracle
                  Martin Brambley wrote:
                  extra info - the server seems fine and reports the correct memory on the console etc - however at boot the message:
                  starting udev FAILED
                  udev timesout - then the boot carrys on as normal - is the server sicker than i think?
                  Nope, this is a known issue with 3.0.2. Safe to completely ignore this. If your server is up and running properly and your VMs are back online, I'd follow the SR process, as that's the official support process. Also, the next version (3.0.3) is due out Real Soon Now. It's completely final QA, so it's being prepared for delivery to our online delivery services.

The alternative with 8 environments down is obviously to escalate this to a Sev1 SR, which triggers 24/7 support and development assistance. Keep in mind that if you do this, you'll be expected to be online 24/7 as well (or have someone contactable, at any rate).

And thanks, my eye appears to be healing nicely. :)
                  • 6. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                    Martin Brambley
                    good to hear about the udev thing - the the healing

i cannot start ANY guests when i try the manager says:

OVMRU_005007E Virtual Machine: trojan32, cannot be started/resumed on Server: ovmdl580. Reasons:
                    Server: ovmdl580, is not running

even though the manager says its running - if i try to start it anyway (the vmserver) it says:
                    OVMRU_004009E: Cannot perform the operation. Server: ovmdl580, is not stopped

if oracle are saying this is a new bug (they said that yesterday) - then it wont be fixed in 3.0.3 if thats finalized now

so what do you recommend?
                    • 7. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                      Avi Miller-Oracle
                      Martin Brambley wrote:
                      i cannot start ANY guests when i try the manager says:
                      Can you start the guests manually on the server using the xm command? This could probably get you back onilne in the meantime. The parameter is:
                       # xm create /path/to/vm.cfg 
                      Running df -h will give you the path to your repository, which will be /OVS/Repositories/UUID - under this is the VirtualMachines folder. Under that, you'll find a bunch of UUID named directories. You can determine the UUID for each VM on the Info screen of the VM in the Manager. That maps to the directory name.

So, on one of my test boxes, the full command to manually start a VM is:
                       # xm create /OVS/Repositories/0004fb0000030000c05be8330890cc3a/VirtualMachines/0004fb0000060000f7762745e9bd3079/vm.cfg 
                      if oracle are saying this is a new bug (they said that yesterday) - then it wont be fixed in 3.0.3 if thats finalized now
                      so what do you recommend?
                      I would probably reinstall the Manager, which re-initializes the repository. Just remember to save the UUID and when you runInstaller to pass the UUID with the -u parameter.

BTW, out of interest, can you please restart your Oracle VM Manager and then email me the AdminServer.log that gets generated from startup to when you login and try to start a guest? The log can be found here:
                       /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/machine1/base_adf_domain/servers/AdminServer/logs 
                      On your Oracle VM Manager machine. I'm curious to see what happens during discovery. My email address is my firstname dot my lastname at oracle dot com.

Sadly, it's almost 10:30pm and I've just taken painkillers, so I'll be offline soon, but I'll check this overnight. I might have some ideas when I can review the logs tomorrow morning. There may be something more invasive we could do. If so, I'll chat to the support guys when I get online tomorrow.
                      • 8. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                        Martin Brambley
                        i save this here so i dont lose it:
                        Oracle VM Manager
                        Version: 3.0.2.73
                        Build: 20110926_73
                        UUID: 0004fb00000100002c2b477aa3a27831
                        • 9. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                          Martin Brambley
                          xm create starts the machines fine

and i can stop them from the manager once started - but not start them again there

logs coming to your email in 5 min
                          • 10. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                            Avi Miller-Oracle
                            Martin Brambley wrote:
                            xm create starts the machines fine
                            If you can start the VMs with xm, I'd use that to get your environments back online while the SR process continues. If I spot anything obvious in the logs, I'll either contact you or the person in charge of your SR. Also, send the SR numbers in the email.
                            • 11. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                              Martin Brambley
                              >>>
                              OVMRU_005007E Virtual Machine: trojan32, cannot be started/resumed on Server: ovmdl580. Reasons:
                              Server: ovmdl580, is in error

Thu Dec 15 11:44:09 GMT 2011
                              <<<

when i try to start

after i clear the critical discover server error and retry i get
                              >>>
                              <<<

log mailed to you
                              • 12. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                                Martin Brambley
                                ok thanks

shall i try to re install the manager now - using the UUID yes?
                                • 13. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                                  Martin Brambley
                                  just saving the .config here as im gonna need it (i choose simple install a lot of this was defaults)

DBHOST=localhost
                                  SID=XE
                                  LSNR=1521
                                  APEX=8080
                                  OVSSCHEMA=ovs
                                  WLSADMIN=weblogic
                                  OVSADMIN=admin
                                  COREPORT=54321
                                  UUID=0004fb00000100002c2b477aa3a27831
                                  BUILDID=3.0.2.73
                                  • 14. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                                    Avi Miller-Oracle
                                    Martin Brambley wrote:
                                    shall i try to re install the manager now - using the UUID yes?
                                    Yeah, that's what I'd do -- use runInstaller to uninstall the Manager and database, and then re-install using the -u parameter to pass the UUID. Also, if you haven't already switched to using either SE or EE as your database platform, you might want to do this as well, as Oracle XE isn't supported as a production database platform. You get a limited use license for either SE or EE for use by Oracle VM Manager, so there's no requirement to buy any licenses for that. If you plan to use EM12c in future, you might want to go with EE right now and then use the same database for EM12c later.

However, obviously that's more work. In the meantime, you can get your VMs up and running with xm so that your users stop shouting at you. :)
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next