3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 7:49 PM by Todd Little-Oracle

Tuxedo remote client options/licensing

Agustin
      Hello,

I need to build an application that consumes a tuxedo service. So i really apreciate if you can guide me through the options availables. I prefer to use java as language but since i cant use jolt, salt or WTC i think my options should be on C.

Can i use java on client side with a java orb that connects to tuxedo orb?

The version of tuxedo server is 9.0, and cant use JOLT :(.

And about licensing, there is any option that doesn't requiered to buy a license. If i only need to build a client app, should i paid for a tuxedo server license?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: user5744216 on 10-dic-2011 10:12
        • 1. Re: Tuxedo remote client options/licensing
          Todd Little-Oracle
          Hi,

Tuxedo client licenses are essentially included in the Tuxedo server license, i.e., Oracle does not separately license clients. You are free to have an unlimited number of clients installed.

If your Tuxedo application is a CORBA application, then you can use a Java ORB to connect to a remote Tuxedo CORBA server. You will need to configure the ISL in your Tuxedo configuration and then connect to Tuxedo using the CORBA Interoperable Naming Service provided by your Java ORB.

If your Tuxedo application is an ATMI application, you could still use a Java CORBA client, but you would need to develop CORBA wrapper services for your ATMI services as normal ATMI services cannot be called directly from a CORBA Java client.

You say the Tuxedo server is version 9.0 (which should REALLY be upgraded to at least 9.1) and can't use Jolt? I'm assuming this is a limitation on your side as Jolt can be used with all supported versions of Tuxedo.

The easiest option is to use a Tuxedo workstation client, but that would require writing the client in C.

Regards,
          Todd Little
          Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
          • 2. Re: Tuxedo remote client options/licensing
            Agustin
            Hello

Thanks for your answers.

I finally connect to tuxedo writing a C client that uses a FML definition provided. You said that under this escenario i only need a tuxedo client installation, does this kind of installation differ from the server one? In download page i didnt find a client only distribution for linux environment.

Going back to java subject, i will test an ORB connected to tuxedo just to play around. Is there any java ORB recommended?

If remote service is ATMI then the wrapper for corba integration you mentioned must be done on server side right? I dont have access to tuxedo server, so i cant go for this kind of solutions. I only have the FML definition for the service, does this definition means the service is running over ATMI? I see buffer definition was genereted from a idl file, so i suppose can be used for corba.
            • 3. Re: Tuxedo remote client options/licensing
              Todd Little-Oracle
              Hi,
              I finally connect to tuxedo writing a C client that uses a FML definition provided. You said that under this escenario i only need a tuxedo client installation, does this kind of installation differ from the server one? In download page i didnt find a client only distribution for linux environment.
              Except for Windows, the same kit is used for client or server installations. The type of installation depends upon how you answer the installation questions.
              Going back to java subject, i will test an ORB connected to tuxedo just to play around. Is there any java ORB recommended?
              The Oracle JDK ORB is known to work just fine.
              If remote service is ATMI then the wrapper for corba integration you mentioned must be done on server side right?
              Yes, the wrapper must be on the server side. A server like this is fairly trivial, although obviously it depends heavily on the complexity of the payload.
              I dont have access to tuxedo server, so i cant go for this kind of solutions. I only have the FML definition for the service, does this definition means the service is running over ATMI? I see buffer definition was genereted from a idl file, so i suppose can be used for corba.
              Yes, FML is not used in CORBA based services (or clients). So you need a CORBA service that in turn calls an ATMI service. If the Tuxedo system you are trying to connect to allows /Domain connections (the Tuxedo domain gateway), then you could create a separate Tuxedo domain that hosts these CORBA wrapper services and then call the ATMI services through the domain gateway.

You say the buffer definition was generated from an "idl" file. I'm guessing this isn't a CORBA IDL file, but something like an IDL file for something like Service Builder (a third party product.) If the service definition refers to FML, then it is an ATMI service.

Regards,
              Todd Little
              Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
              1 person found this helpful