1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 3:04 PM by Martin Brambley Go to original post
      • 30. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
        Martin Brambley
        thanks

i can only see the respositories tab if i click on the server pools - if i was a reqular ovm admin that might be second nature but i just want to use the environments running on it

anyway thank you for all your help

1) would you reinstall the manager using the 302 media now (i used 301 to 302)
        2) why did i need to do this anyway? isnt it a little flakey?

regards
        • 31. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          Martin Brambley wrote:
          1) would you reinstall the manager using the 302 media now (i used 301 to 302)
          No, why would you want to reinstall again?
          Not really. You reinstalled the Manager, so the repository was empty. Rediscovering the server brought back in all the server, pool and networking config. Reconfiguring the storage brought back in the storage arrays. If you left things alone, it would all get rediscovered over time, but I was just triggering things to happen quicker for you, so you're back online.
          • 32. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
            Martin Brambley
            Avi

on a related note that may well screw things up again - i notice it says i have 80 cores now - whereas i only have 40 so hyperthreading must be enabled for the chips

1) is this a good idea? shall i turn it off?
            2) if i turn it off will that cause all these problems again (changing the cpus is what cuased this in the first place)
            3) what happens if you assign an odd number of vcpus to a guest in the HT world - if i gave 5 to a guest it allows it but i cannot use only half an HT core in reality

Again thanks in advance
            • 33. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
              Martin Brambley
              Avi,

>>>
              Not really. You reinstalled the Manager, so the repository was empty. Rediscovering the server brought back in all the server, pool and networking config. Reconfiguring the storage brought back in the storage arrays. If you left things alone, it would all get rediscovered over time, but I was just triggering things to happen quicker for you, so you're back online.
              <<<

i meant why did i have to reinstall the manager when i changed the cpus and added memory - why could it not just realign itself - the vmserver handles it fine?
              • 34. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                Avi Miller-Oracle
                Martin Brambley wrote:
                1) is this a good idea? shall i turn it off?
                Don't turn it off. Oracle VM is really good at scheduling threads on cores. There is no need to disable hyperthreading and will most likely give you a performance boost.
                3) what happens if you assign an odd number of vcpus to a guest in the HT world - if i gave 5 to a guest it allows it but i cannot use only half an HT core in reality
                You can use half an HT core in reality, quite easily. The hypervisor will schedule guest vCPUs onto threads as required and re-use cores as necessary.

Also, as to why this was necessary: there is a bug with the enumeration of processors on existing discovered servers, that you triggered by adding CPUs to an existing machine. This will be fixed, so that in future, adding CPUs would not have the same effect. I've added almost every other resource (RAM, hard drives, NICs) and not had a problem.
                • 35. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                  Martin Brambley
                  Avi I am getting my moneys worth from you today for sure!

on Hyperthreading

1 of the main reasons the business likes OVM here is the ability to hard partition saving us a fortune on oracle licensing (well support - weve already bought the licenses) i have databases running on 24 cores where the server is >95 idle at peak!

if i want to hard partition in the cfg file when i say use processors 1-4 what does this translate to (oracle charges per core not per ht thread) - could you explain what 1-4 mean in the HT mode vs nonHT (i hope it means you get 1-4 cores not threads and so the guest sees 8 vcpus - but i only have to license 4)

can you confirm?

part 2.....

now that i have added cpus and enabled HT are my vm's less powered than before i.e. their num of procs has stayed the sam but as i have doubled the amount ovm see through enabling ht do they have less real grunt now and should i double their proc numbers

Thanks again
                  • 36. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                    Martin Brambley
                    maybe the last question was off topic i'll raise a sep thread - thanks for all your help as ever
                    1 2 3 Previous Next