This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2012 10:27 AM by rp0428 RSS

oraxsl infinite loop using kutable.xsl and xml with default column value

rp0428 Guru
Currently Being Moderated
oraxsl goes into an infinite loop when transforming table xml files if the table has a column with a default value; tables with no default value columns transform properly. Eventually a java.lang.StackOverflowError is thrown.

Steps to reproduce (Oracle 11gR2 - Oracle Enterprise Linux)

1. Create two tables - one with a column having a default value, one with no columns having defaults.

CREATE TABLE TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN
(
COLA CHAR(1 BYTE) DEFAULT 'N',
COLB CHAR(1 BYTE)
)

CREATE TABLE TABLE_WITH_NO_DEFAULT_COLUMN
(
COLA CHAR(1 BYTE),
COLB CHAR(1 BYTE)
)

2. Extract the table metadata using the dbms_metadata functionality and save the resulting clobs to files.

select dbms_metadata.get_xml('TABLE', 'TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN', 'REMEDY') FROM DUAL

select dbms_metadata.get_xml('TABLE', 'TABLE_WITH_NO_DEFAULT_COLUMN', 'REMEDY') FROM DUAL

3. Using the stylesheets in the $ORACLE_HOME/RDBMS/XML/XSL folder perform the transform on the table with no default columns

java -cp .\xmlparserv2.jar;.\orai18n-collation.jar oracle.xml.parser.v2.oraxsl TABLE_WITH_NO_DEFAULT_COLUMN.xml xsl\kutable.xsl

The result is a valid CREATE TABLE ddl statement.

4. 3. Using the stylesheets in the $ORACLE_HOME/RDBMS/XML/XSL folder perform the transform on the table that has a column with a default value.

java -cp .\xmlparserv2.jar;.\orai18n-collation.jar oracle.xml.parser.v2.oraxsl TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN.xml xsl\kutable.xsl

The result is an infinite loop and a java.lang.StackOverflowError is thrown. Increasing the stack size (-Xss100m) to 100 megabytes only delays the exception.

The external stylesheets at RDBMS/XML/XSL are identical to those stored in the database (SYS.METASTYLESHEET) except for the import statement references:

External version of import

<xsl:import href="kucommon.xsl"/>

DB version of import
<xsl:import href="/oradb/SYS/METASTYLESHEET/ROW[NAME='kucommon' and MODEL='ORACLE']/STYLESHEET/text()"/>

Yet the DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL function returns the proper result.

I am using the xdk version_11.1.1.3.0_production version of the xmllparserv2.jar file

Any idea as to the cause of an infinite loop when the transform is done externally?
  • 1. Re: oraxsl infinite loop using kutable.xsl and xml with default column value
    odie_63 Guru
    Hi,

I can't reproduce right now using the external processor, but will try on monday.

At least it works with the database XSLT engine :
    SQL> CREATE TABLE TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN
      2  (
      3  COLA CHAR(1 BYTE) DEFAULT 'N',
      4  COLB CHAR(1 BYTE)
      5  );

Table created.

SQL> set lines 120
    SQL> set long 500
    SQL> SELECT XMLTransform(
      2           XMLType(dbms_metadata.get_xml('TABLE', 'TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN', user))
      3         , DBUriType('/SYS/METASTYLESHEET/ROW[NAME="kutable" and MODEL="ORACLE"]/STYLESHEET/text()').getxml()
      4         )
      5  FROM DUAL
      6  ;

XMLTRANSFORM(XMLTYPE(DBMS_METADATA.GET_XML('TABLE','TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN',USER)),DBURITYPE('/SYS/METASTYLESHEET/ROW
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CREATE TABLE "DEV"."TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN"
       (    "COLA" CHAR(1) DEFAULT 'N',
            "COLB" CHAR(1)
       ) SEGMENT CREATION IMMEDIATE
      PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 40 INITRANS 1 MAXTRANS 255 NOCOMPRESS LOGGING
      STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 NEXT 1048576 MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS 2147483645
      PCTINCREASE 0 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1 BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT FLASH_CACHE DEFAULT CELL_FLASH_CACHE DEFAULT)
      TABLESPACE "USERS"
  • 2. Re: oraxsl infinite loop using kutable.xsl and xml with default column value
    rp0428 Guru
    Thanks for looking at this. You are correct that the internal XSLT engine transforms properly as do the DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL and GET_SXML methods. The SXML file equivalent also transforms properly with the xmlparserv2.jar.

Both with/without default column files transform fine using Saxon:

JAVA -classpath %saxonpath%\saxon9he.jar;. net.sf.saxon.Transform ..\TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN.xml ..\xsl\kutable.xsl

And I can compile kutable.xsl usng Java's xalan XSLTC class and transform properly with the compile version:

java com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.cmdline.Compile -j kutable.jar ..\xsl\kutable.xsl

Though some stylesheets (kufull.xsl) won't compile due to some top-level parameters not being defined; these stylesheets will transform properly however. So I am currently having to compile some into a jar to get around the infinite loop while using the raw version of others (via a URIResolver class) that can't be compiled.

I was, of course, hoping for a unified approach that would work in all cases so I could do all of this work offline.

I appreciate any help that can be provided.
  • 3. Re: oraxsl infinite loop using kutable.xsl and xml with default column value
    rp0428 Guru
    Possible cause found!

The culprit may be the xmlparserv2.jar file that I was using. I was using the jar from the sql developer 3 installation. When I retested with the jar from the Oracle 11gr2 installation there was no problem. Note that the sql developer 3 jar is newer and larger.

1. xmlparserv2.jar from sqldeveloper-3.0.02.37-no-jre.zip manifests the problem using the original tests provided.

size - 1,461,309
    located at sqldeveloper/modules/oracle.xsd_11.1.0/

2. xmlparserv2.jar from Oracle 11gr2 (linux and/or windows) does not manifest the problem.
  • 4. Re: oraxsl infinite loop using kutable.xsl and xml with default column value
    rp0428 Guru
    Possible cause found!

The culprit may be the xmlparserv2.jar file that I was using. I was using the jar from the sql developer 3 installation. When I retested with the jar from the Oracle 11gr2 installation there was no problem. Note that the sql developer 3 jar is newer and larger.

1. xmlparserv2.jar from sqldeveloper-3.0.02.37-no-jre.zip manifests the problem using the original tests provided.

size - 1,461,309
    date - 9/29/2010
    located at sqldeveloper/modules/oracle.xsd_11.1.0/

2. xmlparserv2.jar from Oracle 11gr2 (linux and/or windows) does not manifest the problem.

size - 1,382,291 (both linux and windows files are identical
    date 8/1/2009
    located at $ORACLE_HOME/xdk/lib (linux and/or windows)

I'm not sure that there is anything I can do to determine why the newer jar file manifests the problem and don't know which group within Oracle is responsible for this particular jar file.
  • 5. Re: oraxsl infinite loop using kutable.xsl and xml with default column value
    odie_63 Guru
    Works on 11.2.0.3 as well :
    C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome>java -cp xdk\lib\xmlparserv2.jar;jlib\orai18n-collation.jar oracle.xml.parser.v2.oraxsl -v c:\te
    mp\TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN.xml rdbms\xml\xsl\kutable.xsl
    Release version: Oracle XML Developers Kit 11.2.0.3.0 - Production
    1 XML document will be transformed using XSLT stylesheet specified in rdbms\xml\xsl\kutable.xsl with 1 thread
    Parsing file rdbms\xml\xsl\kutable.xsl
    Parsing file c:\temp\TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN.xml
    Transforming XML document specified in c:\temp\TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN.xml

CREATE TABLE "DEV"."TABLE_WITH_DEFAULT_COLUMN"
       (    "COLA" CHAR(1) DEFAULT 'N',
            "COLB" CHAR(1)
       ) SEGMENT CREATION DEFERRED
      PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 40 INITRANS 1 MAXTRANS 255
     NOCOMPRESS LOGGING
      TABLESPACE "USERS"
  • 6. Re: oraxsl infinite loop using kutable.xsl and xml with default column value
    rp0428 Guru
    Marking as answered to close it out. The appears to be a bug in one of the five xmlparserv2.jar files distributed with 11g.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points