3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 4:01 PM by stevencallan RSS

I'm not able to access to Metalink notes.

user639304
      Hi Everybody,

I don't know if it's in this forum that I must post my thread or if I must post it in the documentation forum.

My problem is the following:

I have created an account on OTN. It's with this account that I post this thread. I hoped that with this account created on OTN, I woud be able to access to Metalink notes (about Oracle database). But there's a registration page where the first step is named "First Step: Request Support Identifiers", and it's asked to indicate a Sun Contract Number or an Oracle Support Identifier. So I've not been able to access Metalink Notes.

I would like to know if it's absolutely required, in order for me to access metalink Notes, that I work for an entreprise which has with an Oracle Support Identifier.

Thanks in advance for your help.
        • 1. Re: I'm not able to access to Metalink notes.
          Yes, you need a support identifier - also known as CSI.

Werner
          • 2. Re: I'm not able to access to Metalink notes.
            jgarry
            You don't need to work for an enterprise, you just need a CSI. You might check the Oracle store for the cheapest support you can find. There have been blog postings about this, but I couldn't say if they are still correct. MOS has implemented license checking for patch downloads, but if you just want to see notes you might not care about that.

On the other hand, if you work for an enterprise that uses Oracle and doesn't have support, you might suggest in strong terms that they get it. Patching is important in production, and some places have strange thoughts about "stabilized" platforms, or are in odd situations because of third party support.
            • 3. Re: I'm not able to access to Metalink notes.
              stevencallan
              The cheapest route to get your own CSI is to sign up for Oracle Personal Edition. After the first year, the ongoing maintenance/support fee per year is about as much as two or three books.
              Without repeating everything, here is some info (not a plug for the other site, just an already published piece of info about this):
              http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora11g/Purchasing-Oracle-Database-Support.shtml