This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 8:58 AM by Charles Lamb RSS

MAP/REDUCE and Oracle NoSQL

906230 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I would like to know if there are some examples on how to run run map/reduce with Oracle NoSQL.
Is there any source code any where? Can you send me one example?
Where can we download all the necessary tools?
In Oracle Big Data Appliance is map/reduce used with Oracle NoSQL or with Hadoop?
Thanks
  • 1. Re: MAP/REDUCE and Oracle NoSQL
    Charles Lamb Pro
    user962305 wrote:
    I would like to know if there are some examples on how to run run map/reduce with Oracle NoSQL.
    Is there any source code any where? Can you send me one example?
    Take a look in the oracle.kv.hadoop.KVInputFormat javadoc. It discusses how to use Oracle NoSQL Database with Hadoop as well as referring to an example which is included in the distribution.
    Where can we download all the necessary tools?
    In Oracle Big Data Appliance is map/reduce used with Oracle NoSQL or with Hadoop?
    It would be used with both, whether or not you were on the BDA. You use the KVInputFormat to read data from Oracle NoSQL Database into Hadoop during map/reduce processing.

I hope this is useful.

Charles Lamb
  • 2. Re: MAP/REDUCE and Oracle NoSQL
    906230 Newbie
    Hi Charles,

Can you please, explain where and what to download and install for this case?
    Should we also install hadoop on the same replication nodes as Oracle NoSQL?
    Is it possible to have an example with pre-loaded keys on Oracle NoSQL to perform the test?
    Is there a version of Oracle NoSQL which comes with some key/value pairs?

I understand the following. Data in Oracle NoSQL will be loaded in hadoop first and then map/reduce is performed in haddop. Is it right?

I would like to know: Does that mean Oracle NoSQL can not run parallel operations? What is the aim in loading data to hadoop first if Oracle is able do perform parallel operations? Loading data from Oracle NoSQL to hadoop may take enormous time I suppose.

Thanks
  • 3. Re: MAP/REDUCE and Oracle NoSQL
    Charles Lamb Pro
    user962305 wrote:
    Can you please, explain where and what to download and install for this case?
    Download [Oracle NoSQL Database from OTN|http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/nosqldb/downloads/index.html] .
    Should we also install hadoop on the same replication nodes as Oracle NoSQL?
    It depends on your access patterns. In general, probably not, but there may be cases where you achieve better performance with Hadoop and the Rep Nodes co-located.
    Is it possible to have an example with pre-loaded keys on Oracle NoSQL to perform the test?
    Is there a version of Oracle NoSQL which comes with some key/value pairs?
    Look at the quickstart guide that comes with the above Oracle NoSQL Database package. There is a small HelloWorld example which you can use as the basis for creating a data set.
    I understand the following. Data in Oracle NoSQL will be loaded in hadoop first and then map/reduce is performed in haddop. Is it right?
    Hadoop is a framework, which among other things happens to run Map/Reduce jobs. Your Map/Reduce job would use the KVInputFormat to read data from Oracle NoSQL Database and process it however it sees fit. It might write the output of the M/R to (say) HDFS. Or it might write it to (say) Oracle RDBMS. Or it might write it back to (say) Oracle NoSQL Database.

>
    I would like to know: Does that mean Oracle NoSQL can not run parallel operations? What is the aim in loading data to hadoop first if Oracle is able do perform parallel operations? Loading data from Oracle NoSQL to hadoop may take enormous time I suppose.
    I am not sure I understand your question. Hadoop, by its nature will break a job into many subtasks. Those subtasks run in parallel, generally across many Hadoop nodes. Those subtasks may access Oracle NoSQL Database data. Hence, Oracle NoSQL Database is able to perform operations in parallel either on the same or different Rep Nodes.

Charles Lamb
  • 4. Re: MAP/REDUCE and Oracle NoSQL
    906230 Newbie
    Thanks Charles.

For hadoop, where and which version should we used for Oracle NoSQL ?
  • 5. Re: MAP/REDUCE and Oracle NoSQL
    Charles Lamb Pro
    I think 0.2.20 is the current, no?

Charles Lamb

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points