4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 10:07 PM by 922487 RSS

NVRAM on Sun Ultra 5 is going to die - replacement?

Hello,

the POST on my Sun Ultra 5 fails because the battery of the NVRAM is almost empty. I saved the output from .banner, .version and printenv from the ok-prompt. Is this enough?
      And where can I get a replacement chip?

EDIT: I also saved the output from /usr/sbin/prtconf -pv on SunOS 5.9

Edited by: 904236 on 23.12.2011 06:25
        • 1. Re: NVRAM on Sun Ultra 5 is going to die - replacement?
          bigdelboy
          thosch97 wrote:
          Hello,

the POST on my Sun Ultra 5 fails because the battery of the NVRAM is almost empty. I saved the output from .banner, .version and printenv from the ok-prompt. Is this enough?
          And where can I get a replacement chip?

EDIT: I also saved the output from /usr/sbin/prtconf -pv on SunOS 5.9

Edited by: 904236 on 23.12.2011 06:25
          Here is a resource that looks like one I seems to have used years ago wrt an SS2. May or may not be the same one. Apolgies if you have found it already.

http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

I happen to have also noted the following: I am neither recommending or otherwise the seller, and you purchase at our own risk.

http://www.memoryxsun.com/ultra5nvram.html

Might be easier/cheape to but and swap another for parts .... but these chips have a limited lifetime especially if machine unpowered as far as I know.

The relatively good news is these can normally be kick started even after a flat battery

....I am not expert in this area ... only working fro memory on snippets of what others have done.
          • 2. Re: NVRAM on Sun Ultra 5 is going to die - replacement?
            Yes, I also found those two pages - Google is very well known ;)
            The MemoryX shop looks interesting, but I already paid 28€ (36,5288 US$) for the Ultra 5, so this would be quite expensive, wouldn't it?
            • 3. Re: NVRAM on Sun Ultra 5 is going to die - replacement?
              bigdelboy
              thosch97 wrote:
              Yes, I also found those two pages - Google is very well known ;)
              But you did ask the question!

More serious I did use that resource to change a chip in an SS2 in the last century.
              The MemoryX shop looks interesting, but I already paid 28€ (36,5288 US$) for the Ultra 5, so this would be quite expensive, wouldn't it?
              Your choices are to:

buy new ... hopefully that should give you another 10 years battery,
              buy from an Oracle/Sun Partner .... if you thought memoryx was expensive ...
              buy a parts donor machine

MemoryX seems to indicate e220/e420 have the same chip ... which would also mean the same for u60/u80.

I certainly have a near dead u10+u60 for disposal ..... which i may do when i have time and which may ... or may not ... have a chip with one of -10 mins , 10 mins, 2 weeks, 2 years or 10 years life in it/them. But its a little too much hassle for me to sort at the moment. But if you get really really stuck drop an email to try-the-obvious AT y/a/h00 stop c-0-m. But this would be a hassle for me .. more than is obvious.
              • 4. Re: NVRAM on Sun Ultra 5 is going to die - replacement?
                I usually keep the output of the .idprom (from OBP) command as it has all the values needed to restore in the chip. The aforementioned NVRAM FAQ shows how to use the mkp command to accomplish this.
                There was another site on the web which detailed how to cut open your chip and connect a battery which is a pretty cool idea if you're comfortable with that sort of thing.