This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2012 7:32 AM by 428027 RSS

Performance in exadata

decEpticOn Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We are new to oracle exadata. We have to test our application (batch processing) for performance on exadata machines. Our current database version is 11.2.0.2

We won't be doing any exadata sever side administration. but can make changes at application level and database level.

Can you all please suggest what all database features/ exadata tuning we can use in our applications, which can accelerate our batch activity? I have gone through few exadata tuning guide's but most of them suggests tuning at server level.

Please let me know if need any more details.

Thanks and regards,
  • 1. Re: Performance in exadata
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    If your company spent the money required to purchase an Exadata then they've likely got a few thousand dollars they can apply to providing you, or a member of your team, with training.

When you write, as you did, "l please suggest what all database features/ exadata tuning we can use in our applications" you are asking for someone to teach you a class. Which is something unsuited to a forum where Q&A consists of a few paragraphs.
  • 2. Re: Performance in exadata
    decEpticOn Newbie
    Thanks Damorgan for your suggestion. I truly agree with you.

But, we are not here expecting any tutorials or lessons. Just wanted name of some features/db level modifications that we could do before we get machines. If anyone who has already did something like this, there learning could just help us.

Warm regards!
  • 3. Re: Performance in exadata
    603349 Explorer
    To be honest, your request is too broad and vague. It's like asking, "what are the best methods and materials to build a house with?"
    The answer to that question starts with "It depends". Truly more information is needed to give a meaningful response -- information specific to this application.

For example:
    - what does "batch" mean?
    - what does "batch" do?
    - how does "batch" do its work? row by row processing or set-based?
    - does "batch" use parallel execution or not?
    - etc., etc., etc.

--
    Regards,
    Greg Rahn | blog | twitter | linkedin
  • 4. Re: Performance in exadata
    As i said, and as Greg has reinforced, the question you have asked, as you have asked it, can only be answered with taking a class.

I could give you a very long list that would include both proper indexing and dropping unnecessary indexes, TKPROF, explain plan, DBMS_XPLAN, OEM Grid Control, hybrid columnar compression, partitioning, native compilation, direct load, avoiding single-row processing, and literally hundreds of other topics ... even reading the excellent books by Jonathan Lewis, Christian Antognini, Cary Millsap, and others ... and perhaps none of it would be relevant and perhaps all of it would be relevant.

There are not short cuts ... go to your manager, show him or her this thread, and ask for support in taking a class.
  • 5. Re: Performance in exadata
    decEpticOn Newbie
    Ops!! that was a quite huge list Damorgan.

Now I understand it's too broad request. Will check few things and get back!

Thanks..
  • 6. Re: Performance in exadata
    The list I have you was the first few that came to mind. I could spend an hour adding to it with ease.
  • 7. Re: Performance in exadata
    712814 Newbie
    Definitely I recommend attending the OU class.

You need to know many things about the Exadata cell to know things you need to focus on.

Regards
    Amin
  • 8. Re: Performance in exadata
    UweHesse Expert
    Thank you for recommending Oracle University :-)

Let me add the link to our Exadata course:
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getCourseDesc?dc=D73668GC10

Kind regards
    Uwe Hesse

http://uhesse.wordpress.com
  • 9. Re: Performance in exadata
    Marcus Rangel Journeyer
    Everything the guys above said, plus this: http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Exadata-Kerry-Osborne/dp/1430233923

I bought it last December and read it from cover to cover. Great book.
  • 10. Re: Performance in exadata
    428027 Explorer
    Some step that may increase the performance of your applications are:
    Stop forcing your queries toward index path, Smart scan makes full table scan usually fly.
    Start checking which queries might benefit from smart scan, and check out if you really do need all indexes attached to your tables (Exadata still have some issues to realize that full scan (smart scan) now it´s SOMETIMES better than index access.)

Regards
    Helio Dias
    http://heliodias.wordpress.com

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points