This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2012 8:57 PM by jim.marion RSS

Help with Peoplesoft OVM - HCM 9.1

855645 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

I am very new to the Virtual machine world...So please bear with any of my questions which might be silly to others....

I have both working Redhat Linux and Windows 2008 server environments ... I just want to have a working Peoplesoft HCM app deployed on any of them(everything in a single machine) for demo purpose. 250 GB HDD / 8 GB RAM. Which machine (windows / unix) is recommended for this?

I have downloaded the Peoplesoft HCM templates from edelivery of oracle (DB template, Apps/Tools template) . All the steps documented in the Oracle technical paper starts from the deployment of these peoplesoft templates and it talks little about the installation of Oracle VM server / Manager. The steps of PSHCM template deployment are clear. But i dont how to start with VM Server / VM Manager in my case.

I have downloaded the iso files from edelivery for Oracle VM (manager, server 3.3 pack) . I have explored the oracle doc (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11081_01/doc/doc.21/e10899/ovsig.htm) for the same ..but not able to understand the process...

a) is it mandatory to have Oracle VM Server...I think it is trying to install another linux ....in my case, i have already working linux environment, why again do i need to install another linux environment on top? Cant i directly install Oracle VM manager on top of my existing Redhat Linux and deploy PSHCM templates after that?

If no (i.e Oracle VM Server needs to be installed before VM Manager), With a iso image downloaded from oracle, how to install Oracle VM server on my existing Redhat linux ? (pls give steps). How many partitions do i need to make etc?

b) Cant i use any softwares like Virtual box or VM ware to open the PS-HCM images ?

c) Once VM Server is installed, (ie. it creates a new linux Os evniroment) ....then VM Manager needs to be installed on that new linux os enviroment or my existing Redhat linux environment?

d) Once VM manager is installed, we need to deploy the PS HCM templates. I think it will create a virtual machine... how much hard disk space / RAM we need to give for the virtual disk for db template and apps template?

Please help me by giving some steps with configuration ....thanks a lot...

Regards
Prasath.C
  • 1. Re: Help with Peoplesoft OVM - HCM 9.1
    Avi Miller Guru
    Prasath C wrote:
    a) is it mandatory to have Oracle VM Server...I think it is trying to install another linux ....in my case, i have already working linux environment, why again do i need to install another linux environment on top? Cant i directly install Oracle VM manager on top of my existing Redhat Linux and deploy PSHCM templates after that?
    Oracle VM Server is not Linux: it is a bare-metal hypervisor like VMware ESX. It allows you to run virtual machines, like the PeopleSoft HCM template you downloaded. You also need another Linux box to run the Oracle VM Manager. This can be on top of an existing Red Hat or Oracle Linux server.
    If no (i.e Oracle VM Server needs to be installed before VM Manager), With a iso image downloaded from oracle, how to install Oracle VM server on my existing Redhat linux ? (pls give steps). How many partitions do i need to make etc?
    You cannot install Oracle VM Server on top of anything else. It is a bare-metal operating system that replaces whatever is installed.
    b) Cant i use any softwares like Virtual box or VM ware to open the PS-HCM images ?
    No. The PeopleSoft templates are designed for Oracle VM Server and do not work under VirtualBox.
    c) Once VM Server is installed, (ie. it creates a new linux Os evniroment) ....then VM Manager needs to be installed on that new linux os enviroment or my existing Redhat linux environment?
    It is not a new Linux OS environment, it's a bare-metal hypervisor that happens to run a Linux management domain. The VM Manager needs to be installed on another Linux server running either Oracle or Red Hat linux. You need at least two machines for this.
    d) Once VM manager is installed, we need to deploy the PS HCM templates. I think it will create a virtual machine... how much hard disk space / RAM we need to give for the virtual disk for db template and apps template?
    This is already defined by the template itself. It already has the hard disks and RAM configured.
  • 2. Re: Help with Peoplesoft OVM - HCM 9.1
    855645 Newbie
    Hi Avi Miller,
    Thanks for your replies....I have again seriously gone through some documentation and come back to your replies....Now i am able to understand what you mean...Your answers are up to the point.....it gave something for me to get started...thanks a lot...

If i understood you correctly, this is what i figured out...Please correct me if any of them are wrong..

1)Overall , i need atleast 2 physical machines. One for VM Server and another for VM Manager.
    Oracle VM server needs to be installed on a bare hardware machine(say machine 1)...It replaces what ever OS if present and create a new virtualized environment to run Virtual machines.

2) Oracle VM Manager can be installed on top of an existing machine running Redhat Linux(machine 2).

3) Once VM Manager is installed, we need to create the resources / server pool by detecting the VM server present on machine 1. That gives the VM manager a option of communicating it to VM server and deploy the VM templates.

4) In my case, i need to create 2 Virtual machines and deploy them on to VM Server.

In my case i have 2 machines one running windows server2008 and one running redhat linux.... Both are from Amazon cloud....

I can use the machine running redhat linux to install oracle vm manager...But is it possible to install Oracle VM Server on Windows server 2008..(i am fine with it replacing the host windows OS and creates a virtualized environment.....)..If its a physical machine, then we can boot from CD and install VM Server..But in this case of cloud OS, i am not sure how to install VM Server at the time of booting...Is there any kind of installer (when on windows), which creates some config file and runs those configuration at the time of bootup. Though this forum is not the place to ask this question, please reply if you have any thoughts on the same...
  • 3. Re: Help with Peoplesoft OVM - HCM 9.1
    723876 Explorer
    I think that you should move this discussion, or at least the OVM-related questions to the Oracle VM Forum. Oracle VM Server for x86 There are some really useful questions already there that you should look through. It is a really active Forum and the OVM folks do a great job at responding to as many questions as possible.
    Having said all that I don't think that you're going to be able to set up Oracle VM using your current resources, cloud based machines, Windows 2008 etc. You should think of OVM Server as being the OS and not being installed into an OS. You should have a physical machine to install it onto. You can't use a cloud based server because there is a clear chicken and egg problem. You can't reach your cloud based machine because there would be no OS to connect to. It doesn't exist at the time of installation. You know what I mean? Well, that's not exactly true because I guess you could PXE boot the installation from the ISO but I'd imagine that isn't an option for you.... but I digress.

Avi's answers are right on the money. There is one additional detail that I would to add concerning VirtualBox. There is a Red Paper available that helps understand the inner-workings of the PeopleSoft VM templates. Within that document there are some tips for running the PeopleSoft VM templates onVirtualBox. It is kinda kludgey and the steps have not been verified by Oracle but it is worth a try if you really can't get an Oracle VM environment going. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27263_01/psft/html/docset.html

mj
  • 4. Re: Help with Peoplesoft OVM - HCM 9.1
    Avi Miller Guru
    Prasath C wrote:
    But is it possible to install Oracle VM Server on Windows server 2008..
    No. And you can't install this on Amazon's EC2 Cloud either, as that's already running the same virtualization software as Oracle VM. You can't put Oracle VM on top of any other virtualization solution.
  • 5. Re: Help with Peoplesoft OVM - HCM 9.1
    855645 Newbie
    Thanks Mark....Your answers are excellent......It gave me a strong understanding of the VM environment.... thanks once again for all the references and links.
  • 6. Re: Help with Peoplesoft OVM - HCM 9.1
    855645 Newbie
    Thank you AviMiller for your time in responding to the basic questions....It really helped.
  • 7. Re: Help with Peoplesoft OVM - HCM 9.1
    jim.marion Pro
    This is an old thread, and even though some take offense at updating old threads, I'm going to post an update because this thread shows up in the Google top 10 when searching for PeopleSoft OVM VirtualBox.

For those interested in running the PeopleSoft VM's in VirtualBox, I posted a step-by-step article on creating a VirtualBox DB image from a PeopleSoft OVM DB image: http://jjmpsj.blogspot.com/2012/05/converting-peoplesoft-ovm-templates-to.html.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points