4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2012 4:43 AM by 908212 RSS

problem with Java in solaris 10 zone

HI ,

i get this error message in my solaris 10 zone :

#./java version

Exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested -4 bytes for size_t in /BUILD_AREA/jdk1.5.0_11/hotspot/src/os/solaris/vm/os_solaris.cpp. Out of swap space?

in global zone , java works fine !

uname -a
      SunOS Server 5.10 Generic_141414-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise

best regards
        • 1. Re: problem with Java in solaris 10 zone
          Mgerdts-Oracle
          When run within the global zone, what do you get from:
          # zonecfg -z <zone> info capped-memory
          • 2. Re: problem with Java in solaris 10 zone
            hi ,

i dont configure capped-memory.
            the zone has all the resources of the global zone
            • 3. Re: problem with Java in solaris 10 zone
              Mgerdts-Oracle
              I see mention of a similar problem, but only with early development releases of solaris10 branded zones running on Solaris 11 development bits. It seems as though this is not what you are running.

Since there are no swap caps nor brand emulation in place, the next thing I would suspect would be that you somehow have inconsistencies between key libraries (e.g. libc) and the kernel. This could happen if you have a full-root zone that has been force attached (zoneadm -z <zone> attach -F). In the past, I've seen products that do this under the covers (e.g. Veritas Cluster) so it may have happened without your knowledge. If it is a sparse root zone, you may want to run "zoneadm -z <zone> detach; zoneadm -z <zone> attach -u". Prior to doing so, take whatever precautions you would normally take when patching a system.

If you open a support call about this I bet the first advice you are going to get is to patch, as you seem to be 2+ years behind. Also, newer releases of Java 5 are available at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase5-419410.html.
              • 4. Re: problem with Java in solaris 10 zone
                hi,
                i'll fix swap
                if it not works i'll proceed to apply last system patches
                i'll back to inform you of result
                best regards