This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2012 2:36 AM by user9154218 RSS

Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0

Mitesh Gajjar Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
What is the default -XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server Version: 10.3.2.0?

We were getting java.lang.OutOfMemoryError every few days in our test environment.

####<Aug 30, 2010 1:45:53 PM EDT> <Info> <ServletContext-/XXXX> <wlsmachine> <WLS_ADF> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '7' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<anonymous>> <> <> <1283190353080> <BEA-000000> <JspServlet error: Servlet unable to dispatch to the following requested page: The following exception occurred:java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: allocLargeObjectOrArray - Object size: 372032, Num elements: 372012>
####<Aug 30, 2010 1:45:54 PM EDT> <Error> <HTTP> <wlsmachine> <WLS_ADF> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '7' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <> <1283190354783> <BEA-101017> <[ServletContext@65411003[app:ORMSApp module:ORMS path:/ORMS spec-version:2.5]] Root cause of ServletException.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: allocLargeObjectOrArray - Object size: 372032, Num elements: 372012

I suspected it was due to a low MaxPermSize so we set the below parameters:

-Xms128M -Xmx768M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

We have not had another OutOfMemory in the past 25 days so I think the new settings have worked. However I could not find the default MaxPermSize value used by WLS in documentation so I am interested to know what it is.

Also please comment if these settings are sufficient or are there any others settings that should be considered?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Mitesh.
  • 1. Re: Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0
    794514 Pro
    Hi Mitesh,

Default value of MaxPermSize in WLS 10.3.2.0 is -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

Following are few things which would help you in deciding what values should be given for the memory arguments.

- It is recommended to keep the max-heap (Xmx) and min-heap(Xms) size to the same values.
    - MaxPermSize(XX:MaxPermSize) is also recommended to be 1/4 of the max-heap size, however in some special cases you have to use 1/3 of the max-heap size.

However it would be better if you keep your Xmx and Xms value as 1024 which is a stable value, thus the memory arguments would be
    -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -XX:MaxPermSize256m

BUT to keep in mind that these values is depends on the environment

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
    Ravish Mody
  • 2. Re: Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0
    Mitesh Gajjar Explorer
    Thank you Ravish for your reply. I looked for memory size recommendations in the WLS documentation but was unable to find any. Can you point me to the WLS documentation where these settings are recommended?

Thanks,
    Mitesh
  • 3. Re: Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0
    794514 Pro
    Hi Mitesh,

Yes, you are right WLS documentation dose not clearly states that you should keep max-heap or for any other memory arguments with a particular values as these values are totally depended on the end to end environments and their requirements.

However if you would like to make a confirmation on suggestion I gave you can even open a ticket with WLS support team as well.

Hope this information helps you and also do let me know if you need anything else on this issue will try to help you out.

Keep posting :)
    Regards,
    Ravish Mody
  • 4. Re: Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0
    Mitesh Gajjar Explorer
    Thank you very much Ravish for your quick response.

The documentation for JVM Tuning does recommend that -Xms should be equal to -Xmx to minimize garbage collections. (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12840_01/wls/docs103/perform/JVMTuning.html)

However I was unable to find where it is recommended to set MaxPermSize to be 1/4 of Max heapsize.

Can you kindly point me to the documentation where this is stated?

Thank you
    Mitesh.
  • 5. Re: Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0
    Pierluigi Vernetto Pro
    Mitesh, perhaps trying to profile the application at the moment it throws the OOM could shed more light on the actual cause of the error.
    This is much easier with JRockit, using the oomdiagnostics flag, which prints a thread dump and a heap profile at the time the OOM occurs.
    With Sun JVM I am not sure....
    you could try activating some -verbose:class flag to trace what is going on.... I am not sure if a alloclargeobjectorarray
    can actually refer to a class being loaded by the classloader - only in this case it would make sense to increase the PermSpace.

But, definitely, being able to have a thread dump at the moment the OOM error occurs would be of great help.
    Perhaps inside WLDF you can define a trap for this condition. Try also JConsole, but I think it's not as powerful as jrmc. JRockit excels when it comes to diagnostics.

jm2c
  • 6. Re: Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0
    Faisal Khan Expert
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: allocLargeObjectOrArray is due to the TLA size.
    You will have to tune it.

Set the following parameters

-XXlargeObjectLimit=128k
    -XXtlasize=128k

You should also consider analyzing the heap size.

Follow the link

http://weblogic-wonders.com/weblogic/2010/07/16/troubleshooting-out-of-memory-errors-in-weblogic-using-eclipse-memory-ananlyser/

-Faisal
  • 7. Re: Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0
    873717 Newbie
    Hi Ravish,

We were getting java.lang.OutOfMemoryError every few days in our production environment. Please find below the logs of the managed server which went out of memory.

We are using Weblogic 8.1.4 in the production environment.

Also, i could see that the memory parameter being set as -Xms96m -Xmx256m in the startManagedWebLogic.cmd file. There is another memory parameter that is being configured in the Admin console, in the Configuration section, under Remote Start, there is a field called Arguments which is set as "-Xms1792m -Xmx1792m - Dlog4j.configuration=file:D:\UAN_Home\Log4JConfig\LogCfg4hipad21.xml" and the description below this field is "The arguments to use when starting this server" (Node Manager is a stand-alone Java program provided with WebLogic Server that you can use to start, restart, monitor, and shut down Managed servers in normal or unexpected conditions. This page allows you to configure the startup settings that Node Manager will use to start this server on a remote machine.)

Could you help me is that possible to reconfigure the start up memory settings to XX:MaxPermSize. Will it resolve my problem.

I will be eagerly waiting for you reply, because this is production environment and i need to resolve this issue ASAP.

####<05.jan.2012 kl 10.54 CET> <Error> <T3Misc> <HIPD144APP21> <intHipd144app21> <weblogic.time.TimeEventGenerator> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <BEA-000712> <Exception invoking Scheduled Trigger
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: nativeGetNewTLA
         at weblogic.utils.StringUtils.splitCompletely(StringUtils.java:80)
         at weblogic.jndi.internal.ServerNamingNode.checkPermission(ServerNamingNode.java:360)
         at weblogic.jndi.internal.ServerNamingNode.checkLookup(ServerNamingNode.java:329)
         at weblogic.jndi.internal.ServerNamingNode.lookupHere(ServerNamingNode.java:153)
         a

####<05.jan.2012 kl 10.54 CET> <Alert> <JMS> <HIPD144APP21> <intHipd144app21> <ExecuteThread: '9' for queue: 'BatchExecuteQueue'> <<anonymous>> <> <BEA-040059> <JMSServer "cgJMSServer_auto_1". Unhandled exception occurred during commit, java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
    >
    ####<05.jan.2012 kl 10.55 CET> <Info> <WLI-Core> <HIPD144APP21> <intHipd144app21> <ExecuteThread: '1' for queue: 'BatchExecuteQueue'> <<anonymous>> <BEA1-4AAD2BBA2BCA5230BF87> <BEA-489044> <ProcessControl invocation failed
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: allocLargeObjectOrArray - Object size: 32784, Num elements: 32768 [ServiceException]
         at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.dispatcher.DispMethod.invoke(DispMethod.java:397)
         at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.container.Invocable.invoke(Invocable.java:423)
         at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.container.Invocable.invoke(Invocable.java:396)
         at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.container.Invocable.invoke(Invocable.java:248)
         at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.bean.BaseContainerBean.invokeBase(BaseContainerBean.java:224)
         at com.bea.wlw.runtime.core.bean.SLSBContainerBean.invoke(SLSBContainerBean.java:103)
         at com.bea.wlwgen.MatchOrderSLSBContImpl.matchOrder(MatchOrderSLSBContImpl.java:25)
         at com.bea.wlwgen.StatelessContainer_5wz4sm_ELOImpl.matchOrder(StatelessContainer_5wz4sm_ELOImpl.java:153)

####<05.jan.2012 kl 10.55 CET> <Info> <JDBC> <HIPD144APP21> <intHipd144app21> <Thread-17> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <BEA-001128> <Connection for pool "UANErrorHandlingConnectionPool" closed.>
    ####<05.jan.2012 kl 10.55 CET> <Alert> <JMS> <HIPD144APP21> <intHipd144app21> <ExecuteThread: '3' for queue: 'BatchExecuteQueue'> <<anonymous>> <> <BEA-040059> <JMSServer "cgJMSServer_auto_1". Unhandled exception occurred during commit, java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
    >
    ####<05.jan.2012 kl 10.55 CET> <Notice> <Security> <HIPD144APP21> <intHipd144app21> <Thread-6> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <BEA-090170> <Loading the private key stored under the alias DemoIdentity from the jks keystore file C:\bea_8_1_4\weblogic81\server\lib\DemoIdentity.jks.>
    ####<05.jan.2012 kl 10.55 CET> <Alert> <JMS> <HIPD144APP21> <intHipd144app21> <ExecuteThread: '8' for queue: 'BatchExecuteQueue'> <<anonymous>> <> <BEA-040059> <JMSServer "cgJMSServer_auto_1". Unhandled exception occurred during commit, java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: nativeGetNewTLA.
         at weblogic.jms.store.JMSStore.asyncChange(JMSStore.java:634)
         at weblogic.jms.backend.BEStore.asyncChange(BEStore.java:1489)
         at weblogic.jms.backend.BEXATranEntrySend.startCommit(BEXATranEntrySend.java:83)
         at weblogic.jms.backend.BEXAResource.commit(BEXAResource.java:1153)

####<05.jan.2012 kl 11.22 CET> <Warning> <Socket> <HIPD144APP21> <intHipd144app21> <ListenThread.Default> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <BEA-000402> <There are: 9 active sockets, but the maximum number of socket reader threads allowed by the configuration is: 8. You may want to alter your configuration.>
  • 8. Re: Default XX:MaxPermSize on WebLogic Server 10.3.2.0
    user9154218 Newbie
    Hi,

Try using the following argument.

-xmx:1024 -xms:1024 -XX:PermSize:1024

U can directly paste this argument by logging to ur admin console....click on the server....go to server start tab...and paste this argument in the "Arguments" property.

cheers,
    salil

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points