10 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2012 7:57 AM by Philippe Ludwig RSS

How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book

I need to study for the oracle sql expert exam and I am using the book SQL Expert exam guide by Steve O' Hearn.
      Can someone please suggest how to practise on the examples of this book ?
        • 1. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
          dfcii
          Good afternoon,

You can download OracleXE here [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/express-edition/downloads/index.html] Download OracleXE , its free. Then create the schema(s) you need, load in some data and have at it.

I hope this helps; good luck,
          Don.
          • 2. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
            Thanks a lot.
            I've downloaded and installed oracle 11g on my machine and connected sql developer now but there are no tables like SHIPS and CRUISES used in the book.
            Is there someway I can get them to practise upon ?
            • 3. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
              bigdelboy
              906451 wrote:
              Thanks a lot.
              I've downloaded and installed oracle 11g on my machine and connected sql developer now but there are no tables like SHIPS and CRUISES used in the book.
              Is there someway I can get them to practise upon ?
              I do not have the book with me at present ... it is helping me remeber how to lop branches off of a pigs ear to save whole trees.

From Memory:-
              - The book itself tells you where to find it.
              - Its on the CDROM (It may not be ... from memory
              - It is on a website associated with the book.
              - Do a DIY, create it yourself (I seem to remmber this is what I did , but I may be disremembering)
              - Send the author an email.

Please remember IMHO one should really need to be at least at 1z0-051 level and practiced at SQL before studying this book . If you dont study 1z0-051 you may learn advanced feature but skip other things you really need to know for effective SQL. My opinion only.

Good Luck.
              • 4. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
                There is no instructions in the book as to how and where I can get this database schema used in this book.
                It's not on the CD too.
                Is there a way I can get the database schema used in this book and then import in and start using it.
                • 5. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
                  I got it....I got it..........:)
                  It was on the site....the source code...
                  Thanks a lot All..............!!!!
                  • 6. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
                    bigdelboy
                    To stop peoples going to the wrong place here is the right place:

http://www.mhprofessional.com/?page=/mhp/categories/oracle_press/content/downloads.html
                    • 7. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
                      dfcii
                      Good morning,

IMHO, I would have suggested that one build the schemas and tables they need from scratch. If one is to be an Oracle Certified Expert in SQL, one should be able to do perform those tasks quickly and accurately. I realize that in larger shops, those tasks might be/are deligated to the DBA team, but having worked in both small and large shops, I believe that being an "expert" should include more than the ability to copy source code and run somoene else's sql scripts.

Thanks,
                      Don.

Edited by: dfcii on Jan 9, 2012 6:57 AM
                      • 8. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
                        bigdelboy
                        dfcii wrote:
                        Good morning,

IMHO, I would have suggested that one build the schemas and tables they need from scratch. If one is to be an Oracle Certified Expert in SQL, one should be able to do perform those tasks quickly and accurately. I realize that in larger shops, those tasks might be/are deligated to the DBA team, but having worked in both small and large shops, I believe that being an "expert" should include more than the ability to copy source code and run somoene else's sql scripts.

Thanks,
                        Don.

Edited by: dfcii on Jan 9, 2012 6:57 AM
                        I think both viewpoints are valid.

- In some ways one does not want to spend time dealing with books misprints and typos when really to be able to do the SQL expert exam one should be on top of anyway.

- In other sense getting ones one test data togther is useful.

..... I possibly remember badly .... but i seem to miss where the scripts mysef (at least initially) and spent some wasted time pumping in a fair bit of data for the earlier examples.
                        • 9. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
                          Yes, but few tables are not created (with same structure) as they are being used in the download. Creating all the tables and objects one place, rather than dividing them chapter-wise would not create confusion. Creating them myself is one thing but keeping the book smart, swift and less time to read or practice is another.

For example there is no mention of creating cruise_customer in the download, whereas lot of operations on the table - what that means ?

Thanks.
                          Atanu
                          • 10. Re: How to practise on the examples used in SQL Expert book
                            Philippe Ludwig
                            The "1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert" is really hard exam. Without big practise you won't pass. I recommend you first exam "SQL Fundementals", it's simpler.