This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2012 2:13 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates

909437 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a Classic ASP application that has been experiencing a problem due to its use of Remote Scripting. The application has been slated for replacement, but I am trying to find a way to band-aid it until the replacement is online.

Users of this application who have Java 1.6 Update 27 or higher will experience session loss whenever a remote scripting call is made. This application works fine with Updates 26 and under. But the newer updates break something, although I'm not exactly sure what. I've worked with Microsoft Developer Support (my organization has a support contract with MS), and we've ironed out that the problem the users are experiencing Session loss from Remote Scripting calls. Classic ASP handles this inside the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on the client's machine.

I'm trying to see if I can work out something as a temporary fix. Again, this application is slated for replacement so please do not just tell me that I need to move from Classic ASP.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    sabre150 Expert
    906434 wrote:
    Classic ASP handles this inside the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on the client's machine.
    Please excuse my possible ignorance of ASP but it is my understanding that 'Classic ASP' runs on the server and if Java is involved on the client then I would expect it to be through the use of an Applet and have little or nothing to do with 'Classic ASP'.
  • 2. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    EJP Guru
    See here. Apparently the Remote Scripting part is a Java applet, amazingly enough.
  • 3. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    sabre150 Expert
    EJP wrote:
    See here. Apparently the Remote Scripting part is a Java applet, amazingly enough.
    So obviously the OP needs to see what error messages are being reported in the Java control panel and then go through the Applet source code to diagnose the problem. I have seen several problem reports that hint at a tightening of security in the later Java 6 releases ( I haven't investigated them) so my bet is that the OP has fallen foul of this.
  • 4. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    gimbal2 Guru
    sabre150 wrote:
    EJP wrote:
    So obviously the OP needs to see what error messages are being reported in the Java control panel and then go through the Applet source code to diagnose the problem. I have seen several problem reports that hint at a tightening of security in the later Java 6 releases ( I haven't investigated them) so my bet is that the OP has fallen foul of this.
    There are, especially applets have been put in a vice in the last dozen of updates. I've never seen a document that describes them more than "numerous security fixes" though :/
  • 5. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    909437 Newbie
    gimbal2 wrote:

There are, especially applets have been put in a vice in the last dozen of updates. I've never seen a document that describes them more than "numerous security fixes" though :/
    That's what I figured. I looked through the release notes on updates 27 and 29, and both talk about "security" fixes but there is no explicit "Now blocking Remote Scripting" statement or comment listed in any of the notes. Realistically, I can understand that. Classic ASP is nearly 10 years out of date - why should they have bothered to include a note that they closed that capability out of a "security" concern?

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, the application is going to be updated to a new format (.Net or remade as a Sharepoint app) but I'm trying to find a band-aid until the new version is ready (likely six months time). Is there a way to go around this issue somehow, other than not allowing Java updates (already trying that idea, but the network nazi's don't like it).

Edited by: 906434 on Jan 10, 2012 9:01 AM
  • 6. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    gimbal2 Guru
    906434 wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:

That's what I figured. I looked through the release notes on updates 27 and 29, and both talk about "security" fixes but there is no explicit "Now blocking Remote Scripting" statement or comment listed in any of the notes. Realistically, I can understand that. Classic ASP is nearly 10 years out of date - why should they have bothered to include a note that they closed that capability out of a "security" concern?

/sarcasm
    You can point the finger right back at Microsoft as this is obviously built on top of their own broken and discontinued Java VM. They would have never used Java if it would have required the Sun VM at the time. But yeah, since they discontinued their own VM (thank god) they neglected to do anything about this problem you are suffering now. Oracle has nothing to do with it, unless you want to blame them for fixing security holes.

Edited by: gimbal2 on Jan 11, 2012 5:36 AM (fixed confusing typo)
  • 7. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    EJP Guru
    And re the broken security 'fixes' the only mitigation needed is to avoid JDK 1.6.0_29 like the plague, go straight to _30.
  • 8. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    gimbal2 Guru
    Does that really make a difference? The OP mentions it is happening since update 27. Was there really something broken in three whole updates?
  • 9. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    EJP Guru
    I don't know that detail but it was all fixed in 30.
  • 10. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    gimbal2 Guru
    EJP wrote:
    I don't know that detail but it was all fixed in 30.
    Lol :) Well I'll go ahead and upgrade everything then :)
  • 11. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    909437 Newbie
    Should have reported back sooner, but we resolved the problem another way. We stripped out the Remote Scripting code, which was just being used to fake AJAX basically, and redid those pages with jQuery and classic asp flavored AJAX. It was only being used for dynamic drop-downs anyway.

Although, at the time, we didn't know that so we thought it had to be fixed another way. At the very least, this was a big learning experience for me.

Edited by: 906434 on Mar 14, 2012 1:25 PM
  • 12. Re: Remote scriping problem in Classic ASP with newer Java updates
    gimbal2 Guru
    906434 wrote:
    Should have reported back sooner, but we resolved the problem another way. We stripped out the Remote Scripting code, which was just being used to fake AJAX basically, and redid those pages with jQuery and classic asp flavored AJAX. It was only being used for dynamic drop-downs anyway.

Although, at the time, we didn't know that so we thought it had to be fixed another way. At the very least, this was a big learning experience for me.
    Good job; not everyone has the strength to do such an overhaul to do a proper fix.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points