7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 10:28 PM by Vite DBA

Newbee to APEX4.1: "Install" issue

OK, I'm a pinhead...
      But, if:
      a. I have sysdba privileges (because that's the way I installed Oracle Express 10g and Oracle Express 11g (two different computers)
      and
      b. If I run SQL Developer on either machine
      and
      c. Run apexins.sql within SQL Developer (on either machine)
      WHY do I get the DBMS output "Application Express installation requires a connection with SYSDBA privilege"?

thanks...sidejack
        • 1. Re: Newbee to APEX4.1: "Install" issue
          Jeff E
          Interesting. I've never tried to run the install scripts with SQL Developer. Install instructions say to use SQLPlus.

But if I were to try SQL Developer I would make sure that in connection properties, that I'm connecting to the database with the role of "SYSDBA" instead of "default"
          • 2. Re: Newbee to APEX4.1: "Install" issue
            Hi sidejack,

I could confirm what Jeff E said: you need to modify the connections properties of the instance you intent to install APEX on and choose the SYSDBA role instead of the default. In the meantime, change the user for SYS instead of SYSTEM. It should work as I just tested it on my computer and it worked.
            If it doesn't please give more info from your log file located under APEX_HOME and called install-Date.log where APEX_HOME is the directory where you have the apexinst.sql script and install-Date.log looks like something as "install2011-12-28_15-37-51.log".
            • 3. Re: Newbee to APEX4.1: "Install" issue
              Thanks guys -- you got me thinking...dah
              I went into the apexins.sql file -- which checks SPECIFICALLY for "sysdba" -- where both my Express 10g & Express 11g have "system" --
              Make the change -- file ran -- now I'm off figuring out the next issue (which I'm sure there will be)
              • 4. Re: Newbee to APEX4.1: "Install" issue
                You're most welcome.
                If any issue, don't hesitate to post it with details from the associated log file in order for the forum participants to help.
                Good luck with the install.
                • 5. Re: Newbee to APEX4.1: "Install" issue
                  Maganha
                  Hi, I'm also new in Apex. How can I know what version I have inside my database? I've observed that there is an Oracle User called FLOWS_030000. May I guess that my database is using version 3.0?

In my company I also have one Oracle Application Server to publish Oracle Forms and Reports. Where should I install the new version of Apex? Inside the Database or Inside the database that is used to control the OAS?
                  • 6. Re: Newbee to APEX4.1: "Install" issue
                    Vite DBA
                    Hi,

you shouldn't be hacking the install scripts. You should be following the instructions in the installation manual. This states to use SQLPlus, not sqldeveloper and to use the SYS user as SYSDBA. If you follow the instructions then you probably won't have to figure out the next issue.

Regards
                    Andre
                    • 7. Re: Newbee to APEX4.1: "Install" issue
                      Vite DBA
                      Hi,
                      Maganha wrote:
                      Hi, I'm also new in Apex. How can I know what version I have inside my database? I've observed that there is an Oracle User called FLOWS_030000. May I guess that my database is using version 3.0?
                      That would be correct if that is the only FLOWS Schema.
                      >
                      In my company I also have one Oracle Application Server to publish Oracle Forms and Reports. Where should I install the new version of Apex? Inside the Database or Inside the database that is used to control the OAS?
                      The OAS instance should be left solely for OAS administration. Apex should be installed in the database instance where your application schemas are or where its intended they will be.

Regards
                      Andre