This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2007 12:20 AM by didier - oracle RSS

ADF Source Code now available... where?

296564 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/htdocs/jdevpricefaq.html#23

According to the above link, the complete source code for ADF is now avaialble from Oracle Support. I contacted support yesterday and they didn't seem to have a clue about it. Subsequently they opened a TAR and the tech assigned also seems clueless. Anyone else try to obtain this?
  • 1. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    445213 Newbie
    try to contacted with metalink.oracle.com
  • 2. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    296564 Newbie
    Metalink was the first place I looked. I did get an update on the TAR though, I was told the person in charge of the source is away on holiday and it will be a couple of weeks before it's available (sure). Also said it will be made available thru metalink in the future. I guess this is a case of the cart getting before the horse. Sure would be nice to have ADF source for debugging.
  • 3. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    Shay Shmeltzer Employee ACE
    It's our bad.
    We are trying to get this onto metalink but having some technical problems with getting the mechanism to accept the license into place.
    In the meantime we are doing it on a one-by-one basis with customers who are looking to get it.

By the way JDeveloper 10.1.2 already ships with parts of the ADF code for debugging - check out the BC4J/src code under the JDev install.
  • 4. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    296564 Newbie
    I noticed the partial ADF source you mentioned, looks to be for data controls and binding... ui stuff. I think it will be a great for productivity, that developers can actually do debug traces through complete ADF source. On the other hand, I hope the ADF code quality is a little better than the JClient code (cough cough!) :)
  • 5. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    296564 Newbie
    Shay, you say Oracle is making the ADF source available on a one-by-one basis to customers who are looking to get it, until metalink is able to deliver it.

I just got another reply to my TAR that no, it will not be available whatsoever until July 18, not on a per-customer basis and not until "the guy" comes back from vacation.

Am I getting fed a line here? Can you or other Oracle staff here help me straighten this out?
  • 6. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    Shay Shmeltzer Employee ACE
    We are telling you the same thing - we still don't have an automatic mechanism in place to give the source code out right now, so we (the missing guy who comes back on the 18th) are giving the code on a one-by-one basis. You'll need to wait a couple more weeks and you'll get it.

By the way, did you look at the code that is already shipped with 10.1.2? is it enough for your needs or are you looking to debug another section?
  • 7. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    296564 Newbie
    I looked at the code shipped with 10.1.2, it is mostly ADF binding and data control stuff. The source we would really like to have is for the BC4J Runtime libraries, mainly the oracle.jbo.* package. In the JDeveloper library editor, the BC4J Runtime source code entry points to file "BC4J/src/bc4jsrc.zip" but it does not exist in my Jdev 10.1.2 distribution.

Anywho, I am agitating about this because our company is currrently burning through about 30K a month on JClient/ADF/Oracle DB projects that are nearing completion, and we have some bugs that are unresolved. We feel that having the source would go a long way to helping us resolving these bugs, as well as potentially saving us thousands of dollars in extra development time. The sooner developers can get products to market, the sooner Oracle can sell more licenses... and then we'll all be happy, right? :)

So perhaps you and Oracle can understand why, that when it was announced the source for ADF was available, why we got all excited and wanted to get it ASAP.

Regards,

Jason
  • 8. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    DominionSpy Newbie
    Was this idea scrapped, because I don't see any mention of it anywhere on MetaLink.
    Also, is it still possible to ask for the source code in relation to an open service request?
  • 9. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    John Stegeman Oracle ACE
    Hi DominionSpy,

Yes, I've done it. You file an SR, then you get some legal stuff to sign (NDA), and there you go.

John
  • 10. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    DominionSpy Newbie
    Thanks John.

Just out of interest, did you put Oracle JDeveloper as the product? and what Type of Problem did you select? because none of the ones listed seem to be relevant.
  • 11. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    John Stegeman Oracle ACE
    Sorry, it's been over a year, and I cannot recall :(.

I do know that Steve M contacted me after filing it.

John
  • 12. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    didier - oracle Journeyer
    The most important is to chose "Oracle JDeveloper" so that it's directly assigned to a support engineer from the right team.

There is no specific template for asking the source code.
    I would select 'Other technical issues with this product', where you just have one field to fill in, if I'm correct.

Please note that Steve is on vacation and you'll have to wait he is back to get the sources.

Regards,

Didier.
  • 13. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    DominionSpy Newbie
    Thanks for your input John and Didier, the SR is now submitted.

Something I've noticed about MetaLink is that there is a certain technique to writing an SR in such a way so that it is categorised and assigned quickly and also to get them to actually do anything.

I think it would be useful if someone who knows the process that goes on at MetaLink could write a small guide on how to use it effectively.

Just a thought.
    DominionSpy
  • 14. Re: ADF Source Code now available... where?
    didier - oracle Journeyer
    Choosing one "Type of Problems" or one other doesn't influence the time needed to assign a SR. However, choosing the right product does, as it insures that its directly assigned to the right team.

See the "Announcement: Please read this before you post"
    (http://forums.oracle.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=56)
    that describes the different forums:

. JDeveloper (IDE) and ADF [Here]
    . TopLink and EJB 3.0
    . OC4J
    . BPEL and ESB
    . WebCenter
    . Oracle Applications Framework (OAF)
    . JHeadstart (*)

The same applies when logging a SR in Metalink.

(*) JHeadstart support is arranged primarily through the JHeadstart Discussion Forum on OTN and not through Oracle Support Services.

Regards,

Didier.