This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 5:28 PM by A mon RSS

Study source for 1Z0-051 exam Oracle11g SQL Fundamentals certification

A mon Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Greetings,

What are some good sources for this exam that are legit. I have the OCA/OCP Oracle Database 11g All-in-One Exam guide, read the whole section regarding SQL and have practiced the test questions until I scored 100% multiple times. Yet (with all humility), I failed the exam. I don't want to cheat and will keep trying until I pass it the right way! I'm going to keep studying the areas I need to really master., but I noticed that the real Exam was nothing like the practice exam. For me, the real exam was a lot trickier and there were a few questions that the book didn't cover. The guy working at the test center recommended testking but upon further research, some sites consider using testking as cheating. I have not purchased any new study guides and would like feedback to some legit study guides. Is the transcender study guide legit and worth it? Please pardon me if this question has been asked a dozen times. I will scour the forums for more info regarding this but also wanted some direct feedback.

Thank you,

A mon
  • 1. Re: Study source for 1Z0-051 exam Oracle11g SQL Fundamentals certification
    Rene Argento Pro
    Considering you already studied the book and practiced the test questions I would advise you to study the areas in which you didn't awnser correctly using the Oracle Database SQL Language Reference 11g Release 2: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e26088/toc.htm

Also remember that if you take the same mocks several times you may start getting high scores because you are remembering the awnsers but not because you necessarily learned them, so if you redo any mock make sure to take a break before retrying it.

I've never used the transcender study guide but from what I heard it is legit.

Oh and practice a lot, especially the areas in which you didn't do well, until you are sure you learned the concept and that you have no doubts.
  • 2. Re: Study source for 1Z0-051 exam Oracle11g SQL Fundamentals certification
    A mon Newbie
    Rene,

Thanks for the link and the advice. Very helpful! And yes, it got to the point where I knew some of the answers before I finished reading the questions.

Thanks,

A mon
  • 3. Re: Study source for 1Z0-051 exam Oracle11g SQL Fundamentals certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    A mon wrote:
    Rene,

Thanks for the link and the advice. Very helpful! And yes, it got to the point where I knew some of the answers before I finished reading the questions.

Thanks,

A mon
    I was going to say possibly the cheapest way is buy the sybex Book : ISBN-13: 9780470395127 which is like the Watson Book ... but it isn't that cheap andalso coves 1z0-052 which you don't need.
    ( Selftest Sofware is reputed to be good, Transcender a little better (they are both Kaplan Brans and overlap common material). Ucertify may be cheapter but quality may be less. And make sure you get the right site and not a phishing link pretending to be them.

.... wsa it you who i said to try the exam and see where you were really at ? .. if so sorry and better luck next time. Perhaps though it is an opportunity to revise study technique.

See: http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/question_of_the_day_how_to_pre

.... Doing your own flash cards and notes can be useful.

I always regard practice questions as precious and leave it as late as possible in study before doing questions.

(If you must peek ahead choose a chapter just before half way through the book and do end of chapter questions for that only).

But I won't even do end of chapter practice questions until I think I know the whole exam topics and have notes on all the material.
    Only when I think I know it all will I do even end of chapter questions.
    And I wont do them if I have read up on the topics during the day. I will wait until the next day.
    And after doing end of chapter results I re-read the chapter and topics and practice. But I wont redo those questions for a few days

And only when I get good enough practice score from the chapter do I take a full practice test.

Basic principle is concentrate on learning and use the precious study ids to fill the gaps. It's a little slower getting there that way but these is more chance of a pass.

Edited by: bigdelboy on 19-Jan-2012 14:49 typos.
  • 4. Re: Study source for 1Z0-051 exam Oracle11g SQL Fundamentals certification
    A mon Newbie
    bigdelboy,

I appreciate the words of wisdom! I'm definitely changing my approach on this and heeding the advice.

Thanks again.

A mon

Edited by: A mon on Jan 19, 2012 5:28 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points