This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 11:38 AM by Tori Wieldt Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Same here, no chance of logging in (and thus no chance of voting, grrrr).
  • 16. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    Puce Newbie
    Same problem here.
  • 17. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    marcelstoer Newbie
    Helloooo Oracle, do you copy? I heard time and time again from Oracle how much they value "the great Java community". Here's yet another chance to put your money where your mouth is.
    The bug database is barely usable, way too slow.
  • 18. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    User183665 Newbie
    I count on technical support for Oracle database now verifies the access to support solaris. It is hoped that using a different account, or is there the possibility to combine both technical access?

I write in this segement of the forum, because I see that it relates a bit, if not sorry.
    Like I appreciate any comments.

Best regards!
  • 19. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    389703 Journeyer
    The OTN Team has no involvement in bugs.sun.com so the best we can do is pass this along.
  • 20. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    870265 Newbie
    Hi Mr Oracle, could you verify that there is actually someone in charge of the bug database to pass this along to? It's been broke for months. I get the feeling it's been orphaned.
  • 21. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    389703 Journeyer
    Yes we did report these issues to the bugs.sun.com people. Don't have any confirmation of next steps however.
  • 22. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    neighbour Newbie
    Starting from a few days ago I can not log in to http://bugs.sun.com/login.do .
    But now even the main page http://bugs.sun.com/ is not available.
    Has Oracle dumped Java? :)
  • 23. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    910458 Newbie
    I wonder if there's somebody behind the java bugs database...

The login process takes ages to complete (about 5 to 10 minutes), probably to discourage spammers.

But even if you successfully submit a bug, the behavior of this system is weird to say the least: I submitted bug #7129546 and soon after I received a confirmation email;
    after 8 days a java technician wrote an evaluation, asking for more info; I noticed this after some days, because the system hasn't alerted me with an email.
    So, 15 days after this request, I left some more information, followed 3 days after, a modified SSCCE to help the evaluator track the issue.
    After two more weeks, the evaluator closed the ticket because was "incomplete more than one month". Again, no email message was sent to me, so I learned this after some more days.
    Finally, I left a polemical message, asking to reopen the ticket, since the requested information was given two weeks before the ticket was closed.

After A couple of days, when the anger and the disappointment were gone, I thought that probably neither the evaluator was sent messages and that he/she didn't noticed that I provided him/her with more information (but a scrupulous person should have taken a look).

In the end, I think that the java bug database is a horrible, unprofessional, primitive tool; furthermore it seems to me that the people behind it act as a first level support, the kind of people asking "have you turned your computer on?".
    I also think that the java developers use a back end bug tracking system, something that only a restricted set of people outside sun/oracle is allowed to use, something with high-skilled people behind it.
    It's impossible that java can evolve with a bug tracking system like the java bug database.

Regards.
  • 24. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    984269 Newbie
    New Year of 2013, and I can't submit a bug:
    We have had an error and cannot complete the submission process.
    Tried twice, spent 20 mins, DO NOT WANT anymore. Maybe website is now hosted in Oracle DB and coded with PL/SQL?
  • 25. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    981266 wrote:
    New Year of 2013, and I can't submit a bug:
    We have had an error and cannot complete the submission process.
    Tried twice, spent 20 mins, DO NOT WANT anymore. Maybe website is now hosted in Oracle DB and coded with PL/SQL?
    Yeah, and maybe it's written in Java and treating the database as bit bucket.

If you just signed up to critisize Oracle, that's not going to help anyone to resolve any issues. If you have an issue, post sufficient information so that someone can look at it.
    However, I don't know whether the java bug database is related in any way to the OTN community, so not sure if anyone here cares.

If it's been this many years and it's not fixed, I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • 26. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    988808 Newbie
    Yes there are people here that care.

And since these are Oracle forums and Java is an Oracle product now, the two are obviously related.

Search Google for "oracle java issue tracker" and you will find this thread. That in itself is a sad state of affairs.

Oracle bought Sun and took the issue tracker, an important tool for the Java community, and flushed it down the toilet. Without so much as a notification that they were closing the issue tracker, it's just gone. We have to search the net and read on this forum here why it's gone... Today, bugs.sun.com just redirects to the Oracle sun homepage (if that is what it's called) where there is no mention of the issue tracker at all. So do hundreds and hundreds of other Java related resources that have worked for nearly two decades by the way. Practically speaking all external links to Java resources that were created in the last 20 years are now dead. Oracle's 'integration' of Sun basically meant slowly, one by one, killing all resources that were available for the community and replacing them by some meaningless homepage. Even links inside the original articles, now hosted by Oracle, are dead and just send you to this homepage...

People invested time and money in building apps on Java. It's not free in that sense. If Oracle didn't care about the bug tracker anymore, why just put up a note that it will no longer be maintained and keep the archive of old issues for reference? Why does it have to be killed of so completely? I have to use Google cache now to read old bugs... For as long as that lasts. It looks like Oracle just doesn't give a thing about Java developers...
  • 27. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    Tori Wieldt Newbie
    Bug tracking got migrated from Sun's bugtraq to Oracle's standard JIRA back in September.

https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/milestone_jira_system_of_record

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/ is still up to search for and report issues. I was able to access the page. Is it not working?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points