This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2012 9:51 PM by 846459 RSS

JNLP application will not launch

846459 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have tried reading the log file but it appears not to give enough info about the failure:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE log SYSTEM "logger.dtd">
<log>
</log>

The problem is only on a specific computer. Deleting and re-installing the app does not work. The Trace file is empty.

My question is how do I find out more about where the failure to launch is taking place? Is there any way to get more information than just what is in the log file?
  • 1. Re: JNLP application will not launch
    817264 Journeyer
    Questions:
    1) what version of JRE is installed? 32 or 64 bit?
    2) can you launch any other applet, JNLP applet or JNLP application on that system?

Suggestions:
    1) read on how to get most of trace file - http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/tsg/TSG-Desktop/html/plugin.html
    2) try newer JRE
    3) try debugger/profiler to see how far it gets (do not forget to enable profiling for system classes)
    4) use tool to trace syscalls (e.g. truss, strace or Process Monitor on windows) to spy for javaws and java processes to see what went
    wrong comparing to other systems
  • 2. Re: JNLP application will not launch
    817614 Explorer
    Did you turn on tracing and logging using the Java Control Panel, Advanced > Debugging?
    If you did, then retry with adding this line to $DEPLOYMENT_HOME/deployment.properties to enable all level of tracing:

deployment.trace.level=all

On, Windows 7, DEPLOYMENT_HOME is at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment.
  • 3. Re: JNLP application will not launch
    846459 Newbie
    Using tracing I was able to decipher a double validation of a particular jar file. On second validation, the system exits. Mind you, this only happens on a particular computer. Same jnlp runs fine on another computer. See below copied and pasted from the trace file with the jar file names and path altered to retain privacy:

security: JAVAWS AppPolicy Permission requested for: http://www.xxxxx.com/jars/firstJar.jar
    security: Istrusted: http://www.xxxxx.com/jars/tmm.jnlp false
    security: Loading certificates from Deployment session certificate store
    security: Loaded certificates from Deployment session certificate store
    security: Loading certificates from Internet Explorer TrustedPublisher certificate store
    security: Loaded certificates from Internet Explorer TrustedPublisher certificate store
    security: Validate the certificate chain using CertPath API
    security: Obtain certificate collection in Root CA certificate store
    security: Start to check whether root CA is replaced
    security: The root CA has been replaced
    security: No timestamping info available
    security: Found jurisdiction list file
    security: No need to checking trusted extension for this certificate
    security: The CRL support is disabled
    security: The OCSP support is disabled
    security: This OCSP End Entity validation is disabled
    security: Checking if certificate is in Deployment denied certificate store
    security: Checking if certificate is in Deployment permanent certificate store
    cache: Read manifest for http://www.xxxxx.com/jars/secondJar.jar: read=89 full=121028
    security: JAVAWS AppPolicy Permission requested for: http://www.xxxxx.com/jars/secondJar.jar
    security: Loading certificates from Deployment session certificate store
    security: Loaded certificates from Deployment session certificate store
    security: Loading certificates from Internet Explorer TrustedPublisher certificate store
    security: Loaded certificates from Internet Explorer TrustedPublisher certificate store
    security: Validate the certificate chain using CertPath API
    security: Start to check whether root CA is replaced
    security: The root CA has been replaced
    security: No timestamping info available
    security: Found jurisdiction list file
    security: No need to checking trusted extension for this certificate
    security: The CRL support is disabled
    security: The OCSP support is disabled
    security: This OCSP End Entity validation is disabled
    security: Checking if certificate is in Deployment denied certificate store
    security: JAVAWS AppPolicy Permission requested for: http://www.xxxxx.com/jars/secondJar.jar
    security: We were not granted permission, exiting

So firstJar.jar is read and then the secondJar.jar read twice for some reason! And the second time it fails.

Thanks for your help.
  • 4. Re: JNLP application will not launch
    817264 Journeyer
    Are you getting dialog asking to grant permissions to your application?

Please post content of tmm.jnlp file as it is printed in the trace (or paste full trace here).

Please repeat your experiment after clearing deployment cache with "javaws -uninstall".
    It could be cache update problem caused by old copy of signed jar in the cache that does not match your current jars.

How do you sign jars? Do you use self signed key?
  • 5. Re: JNLP application will not launch
    846459 Newbie
    igor wrote:
    Are you getting dialog asking to grant permissions to your application?
    No I am not.
    >
    Please post content of tmm.jnlp file as it is printed in the trace (or paste full trace here).

Please repeat your experiment after clearing deployment cache with "javaws -uninstall".
    It could be cache update problem caused by old copy of signed jar in the cache that does not match your current jars.
    I did. No change still have the problem.
    >
    How do you sign jars? Do you use self signed key?
    Self signed

This problem only happens on one computer that used to work before.

I have included the trace file contents here and described the problem (the double reading of a particular jar file). There isn't a problem with tmm.jnlp file. The problem is that even uninstalling the app or javaws probably leaves some files behind causing problems.

I am not familiar with the directory structure of jws files so I don't know where or what to look for on the hard drive.
  • 6. Re: JNLP application will not launch
    892952 Newbie
    What is the JRE version you are running?

You may need to clear the cache and trusted certificate before re-run your application:

1. Open Java control panel, under security tab, click on "Certificates" tab, delete all trusted certificate from your keystore.

2. Remove the cache directory from your local machine:
    On, Windows 7, it is C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
  • 7. Re: JNLP application will not launch
    846459 Newbie
    dgu wrote:
    What is the JRE version you are running?
    *1.6.0_27*

>
    You may need to clear the cache and trusted certificate before re-run your application:

1. Open Java control panel, under security tab, click on "Certificates" tab, delete all trusted certificate from your keystore.
    Did it.
    >
    2. Remove the cache directory from your local machine:
    On, Windows 7, it is C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
    Did it.

Same problem. Same trace as above. No change.

Thanks for trying though. It is a bit mystifying. I believe at one time when I rolled back to 1.6.0_7, the problem went away. But since it works on other computers (with _27), I need to figure out what is going on here.
  • 8. Re: JNLP application will not launch
    846459 Newbie
    I finally fixed this problem. The solution is to resign all the offending jar files I found through the trace process. I used the latest and greatest jarsigner, resigned the jars and reposted them on the server. The app updated the jars and launched!

Apparently, the old jarsigner that I signed some of my jar files (unchanging libraries) with is incompatible with the latest update of JRE.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points