7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2012 4:48 AM by user6814269 RSS

Solaris Studio 12.3: missing solarisstudio.sh

user6814269
      The Installation docs keep talking about running the script "solarisstudio.sh" to start the installer (GUI or text). I have downloaded Solaris Studio in all 4 variants (SPARC/x86, Solaris/Linux), and for the life of me I cannot find this script...

It seems that by extracting the tarfile and then simply copying the solarisstudio12.3 subdirectory to /opt, say, and setting PATH to contain solarisstudio12.3/[prod/]bin the compilers can be found -- kind of -- , but one still needs to install system/header files etc.

Would be glad to know if someone managed to get the installation going as described in the docs. Any other hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Solaris Studio 12.3: missing solarisstudio.sh
          marc1842fr
          user6814269 wrote:
          The Installation docs keep talking about running the script "solarisstudio.sh" to start the installer (GUI or text). I have downloaded Solaris Studio in all 4 variants (SPARC/x86, Solaris/Linux), and for the life of me I cannot find this script...
          These instructions saying to run the installer only apply if you download the installer. If you download a tar file instead, all you have to do is untar it. If you install via IPS, you don't need to run the installer either.
          It seems that by extracting the tarfile and then simply copying the solarisstudio12.3 subdirectory to /opt, say, and setting PATH to contain solarisstudio12.3/[prod/]bin the compilers can be found -- kind of -- , but one still needs to install system/header files etc.
          Well, yes, that seems quite normal.
          • 2. Re: Solaris Studio 12.3: missing solarisstudio.sh
            koberoi
            user6814269 wrote:
            If you are on Solaris 11, you can use the pkg command to search/install files you need, find out what package it is in, see if it is installed, and then install it. e.g.

=============
            koberoi@s11ext: ~$ pkg search stdio.h
            INDEX ACTION VALUE PACKAGE
            basename file usr/include/stdio.h pkg: */system/header* @0.5.11-0.175.0.0.0.2.1
            basename file usr/gcc/4.5/include/c++/4.5.2/tr1/stdio.h pkg:/developer/gcc-45@4.5.2-0.175.0.0.0.2.537
            basename file usr/gcc/4.5/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.11/4.5.2/include/ssp/stdio.h pkg:/developer/gcc-45@4.5.2-0.175.0.0.0.2.537
            basename file usr/gcc/4.5/lib/gcc/i386-pc-solaris2.11/4.5.2/include/ssp/stdio.h pkg:/developer/gcc-45@4.5.2-0.175.0.0.0.2.537
            basename file usr/include/ast/stdio.h pkg:/shell/ksh@0.5.11-0.175.0.0.0.2.1
            koberoi@s11ext:~$ pkg info -r system/header
            Name: system/header
            Summary: Core Header Files
            Description: Core C/C++ header files
            Category: System/Core
            State: Not installed
            Publisher: solaris
            Version: 0.5.11
            Build Release: 5.11
            Branch: 0.175.0.0.0.2.1
            Packaging Date: October 19, 2011 07:31:58 AM
            Size: 10.36 MB
            FMRI: pkg://solaris/system/header@0.5.11,5.11-0.175.0.0.0.2.1:20111019T073158Z
            koberoi@s11ext:~$ sudo pkg install system/header
            Password:
            Packages to install: 1
            Create boot environment: No
            Create backup boot environment: No

DOWNLOAD PKGS FILES XFER (MB)
            Completed 1/1 1560/1560 3.1/3.1

PHASE ACTIONS
            Install Phase 1681/1681

PHASE ITEMS
            Package State Update Phase 1/1
            Image State Update Phase 2/2
            koberoi@s11ext:~$
            =============

/kso
            • 3. Re: Solaris Studio 12.3: missing solarisstudio.sh
              I am having the same problem. I downloaded Solaris Studio from here:
              http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/downloads/index.html

And was using this install guide:
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24457_01/html/E21988/gemyt.html#scrolltoc

Where do we get the solarisstudio.sh script from? Why isn't it included in the Tarfile?

I called Oracle last week but I haven't gotten any feedback.
              • 4. Re: Solaris Studio 12.3: missing solarisstudio.sh
                koberoi
                http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/downloads/index.html

In the "Package Installation" column, you can download Studio which is packaged in various OS packaging types (SVR4 for Solaris, RPM for Linux). These come with an installer, which instructions are provided in the Oracle Solaris Studio documentation. As all OS packaging-based software installations, this requires elevated permissions.

In the "Tarfile" column, you can download Studio and "unpack" it to an installed filesystem using the instructions on the download page. (e.g. bzcat [download_directory]/SolarisStudio12.3-linux-x86-bin.tar.bz2 | /bin/tar -xf -) After unpacking, you can set up your paths, etc. and you should be ready to go.

/kso
                • 5. Re: Solaris Studio 12.3: missing solarisstudio.sh
                  The original poster and I both forgot to specify the Solaris version. I am referring to Solaris 11. The SVR4 installer is for Solaris 10.

Edited by: user13489824 on Jan 23, 2012 2:06 PM
                  • 6. Re: Solaris Studio 12.3: missing solarisstudio.sh
                    koberoi
                    Use the tarfile version on Solaris 11 for now. Depending on what you are building, you may need additional OS packages (e.g. system/header, etc.)

We just released the IPS version for Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 and the 12.3 version will be available shortly:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/downloads/solaris-studio-downloads-1403397.html

/kso
                    • 7. Re: Solaris Studio 12.3: missing solarisstudio.sh
                      user6814269
                      First of all: thanks for all the replies.
                      I indeed forgot to say that I tried to install Studio 12.3 on Solaris 11.

It would be VERY helpful if the download pages explained in a bit more detail that if one downloads the tarfile, then after copying one has to check which other packages should be installed and how the PATH should be set. It would be still a (minor) PITA, but at least one would know where to start...

The recommended solution is, however, to wait until Studio 12.3 is packaged properly for Solaris 11. Finding out manually which additional packages are needed reminds me of the early Linux days... Solaris 11 should be better than that... :-)