This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 10:33 AM by Mark Kelly RSS

Mining Models used in SQL Developer 3.0 and models created PL/SQL scripts

364739 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Pardon my ignorance if some of my questions are very basic. I am just gaining understanding about building/using mining models.

I installed sql developer and went thru some OBE exercises to build models ( classification models)

While building workflows the exercise required to supply data for the pre built models ( the four models pre-created). The question is - is this exercise is about building models or using models ?

How those pre-built models were created? Are these models are restricted in their usage. or are they generic models that they can be applied for solving similar problems?

What type of models can be used in workflows?

I am also seeing some smaples of pl/sql scripts used in creating some models. Is it correect to assume they are created using PL/SQL APIs ( DBMS_DATA_MINING, DBMS_DATA_MINING_TRANSFORM etc).

What is the differrence between these two model building process ?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Mining Models used in SQL Developer 3.0 and models created PL/SQL scripts
    Mark Kelly Oracle ACE
    Hi,
    The OBE exercises show you both how to build models and then to apply (Score) new data using the built models.
    A model is always built using some form of input data, so it is built specifically with that form of data in mind.
    It is not a generic model at all.
    When you apply a model you provide data in the same format as the original data.
    In the case of a Classification or Regression model, you are applying the model to generate a prediction on new data that conforms with the build data provided to the model.
    The online help provides details on all the models that are available.
    Data Miner uses the data mining pl/sql packages (package name DBMS_DATA_MINING) to create and test models.
    There are also sql data mining prediction functions as well.
    Thanks, Mark
  • 2. Re: Mining Models used in SQL Developer 3.0 and models created PL/SQL scripts
    364739 Newbie
    Thanks for your response . Your help is much appreciated.

Can you please point me to the location where scripts are stored to build the models used in the OBE exercises ie CLAS_DT_1_2,CLAS_SVM_1_3 etc.

I am a bit keen to see how these models were built..

Thnks
  • 3. Re: Mining Models used in SQL Developer 3.0 and models created PL/SQL scripts
    Mark Kelly Oracle ACE
    Hi,
    Data Miner only generates the sql for the transformation lineage defined in the workflow at the moment.
    The next release will have the ability to generate the script for the entire workflow.
    You can get a better appreciation for how to use the pl/sql code by viewing the sample code provided by the DB release.
    Here is a pointer to a zipped file of the sample programs.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/odm/odm-samples-194497.html
    Thanks, Mark

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points