3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2012 5:53 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

SQL Developer Download Error

Dear,

I just finished my training for Oracle Financial Consultant, i need to download SQL Developer to learn and run the queries.

I am downloading from following link

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/sqldev-ea-download-486950.html

Download

Oracle SQL Developer for 32-bit Windows (This zip file includes the JDK1.6.0_11)
      (203 M)

To install and run:
      - Download the file above
      - Extract sqldeveloper.zip into any folder, using folder names
      - Within that folder, open the sqldeveloper folder
      - Double-click sqldeveloper.exe

But when i run the application it gives me following error

"The program cant start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

even though i have installed it twice. but getting the same error.

Kindly assist me AEAP.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer Download Error
          Gary Graham-Oracle
          Hi Dazzle,

Check out this forum thread on a similar issue:
          Re: Sqldeveloper - Windows 7 64 Bit - unable to launch

Regards,
          Gary
          SQL Developer Team
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer Download Error
            Dear,
            Thanks for your support.
            But id try to did all of the steps, explained in the thread but still couldnt figure it out?
            First i downloaded 32 bit with JDK, it doesnt work
            then i downloaded 64 bit without JDK and installed windows*64 bit JDK and run that , but still no
            i installed java ddl, i tried to open it via different components like explorer, etc but ...

How to launch SQL Developer....any other way with full explanation, i am new in this field though.

Thank You
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer Download Error
              Gary Graham-Oracle
              You don't provide any specifics about your OS and so on, but using a SQL Developer 32-bit download which includes jdk1.6.0_11 is the very simplest case. It should work on either a 32-bit or 64 version of Windows.

I have never personally experienced the missing MSVCR71.dll error, but I did experience a missing MSVCR100.dll error when trying out jdk1.7.0 on WinXP 32-bit. The solution was to place a copy of MSVCR100.dll from jdk1.7.0 into the <sqldev_install>\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin directory where sqldeveloper.conf also resides.

In your environment, for whatever reason (whether 64-bit WinXP, Vista, or Win7), the SQL Developer with jre install is complaining about a missing MSVCR71.dll. So I assume a symmetrical solution should work for you: place a copy of MSVCR71.dll into the same directory as sqldeveloper.conf. You should be able to find a copy of it in <sqldev_install>\sqldeveloper\jdk\jre\bin.

Another poster followed this advice and it worked:
              SQL Developer won't start

Also, you may want to check your sqldeveloper.conf file to make sure it contains a line like the following:
              SetJavaHome ../../jdk

Best Wishes,
              Gary