This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 7:36 AM by 914136 RSS

Sun Ultra 3 Mobile Workstation aka Mezostation999 - lack of documentation.

914136 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello.

For a long time looking for documentation and drivers for this model.
I understand that without a service plan i will not get the drivers. But there is documentation available somewhere?
I'm really desperate - pre-installed Solaris 10 (03/05) works great. but I'd like to know more about this nice hardware and try to install a newer system(the problem is WLAN and VGA)

Does anyone have experience with Ultra3 and can help me?
  • 1. Re: Sun Ultra 3 Mobile Workstation aka Mezostation999 - lack of documentation.
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    There never was much documentation, and I suspect you'll not find any of it still floating around any more.

The Sun Ultra3 laptop was a system manufactured by Tadpole Systems.
    They just stuck the Sun name onto the outside of its case.
    The Ultra3 was in the Sun Microsystems product line for only a short time, then was quickly discontinued. Very few were sold.

Tadpole Systems has since become a part of General Dynamics:
    http://www.gdc4s.com/
    For their current computer offerings, see this link to their line of products.
    You could also use your favorite web search engine for such terms as "Sun Ultra3" or "SPARC laptop" or the like.

Since it wasn't truly a Sun product, Oracle isn't going to have much of anything related to it.
  • 2. Re: Sun Ultra 3 Mobile Workstation aka Mezostation999 - lack of documentation.
    914136 Newbie
    Indeed, even the Internet archive does not contain much information on this topic.
    I am surprised that there are no data on oracle.com about hardware who has not reached the end of the "Premier Support Ends."
    http://www.oracle.com/us/support/lifetime-support/lifetime-support-hardware-337183.html

Unfortunately this is not the equipment produced by Tadpole. It's a completely different product produced by Naturetch. There were four models of the "Sun Ultra 3":

A60-UltraSPARC IIi (Tadpole SPARCLE)
    CPU: 550 or 650 MHz UltraSPARC IIi

A60-UltraSPARC IIIi (Tadpole Viper)
    CPU: 1.2 GHz UltraSPARC IIIi

A61-UltraSPARC IIi (NatureTech 888P)
    CPU: 550 or 650 MHz UltraSPARC IIi

A61-UltraSPARC IIIi (NatureTech Mesostation 999)
    CPU: 1.28 GHz UltraSPARC IIIi

As I mentioned in topic mine model is the latest. Unfortunately the company NatureTech no longer exists.

I spent a really long time search for drivers and documentation. I Even asked the people who had in the past had this laptop.

So... I have a month or two for purchase support. I feels that the only way to get the data I wanted(?)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points