This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2012 3:53 PM by Gary Graham RSS

SQL Developer Download Error

905168 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear,

I just finished my training for Oracle Financial Consultant, i need to download SQL Developer to learn and run the queries.

I am downloading from following link

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/sqldev-ea-download-486950.html

Download

Oracle SQL Developer for 32-bit Windows (This zip file includes the JDK1.6.0_11)
(203 M)

To install and run:
- Download the file above
- Extract sqldeveloper.zip into any folder, using folder names
- Within that folder, open the sqldeveloper folder
- Double-click sqldeveloper.exe

But when i run the application it gives me following error

"The program cant start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

even though i have installed it twice. but getting the same error.

Kindly assist me AEAP.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: SQL Developer Download Error
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Dazzle,

Check out this forum thread on a similar issue:
    Re: Sqldeveloper - Windows 7 64 Bit - unable to launch

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: SQL Developer Download Error
    905168 Newbie
    Dear,
    Thanks for your support.
    But id try to did all of the steps, explained in the thread but still couldnt figure it out?
    First i downloaded 32 bit with JDK, it doesnt work
    then i downloaded 64 bit without JDK and installed windows*64 bit JDK and run that , but still no
    i installed java ddl, i tried to open it via different components like explorer, etc but ...

How to launch SQL Developer....any other way with full explanation, i am new in this field though.

Thank You
  • 3. Re: SQL Developer Download Error
    Gary Graham Expert
    You don't provide any specifics about your OS and so on, but using a SQL Developer 32-bit download which includes jdk1.6.0_11 is the very simplest case. It should work on either a 32-bit or 64 version of Windows.

I have never personally experienced the missing MSVCR71.dll error, but I did experience a missing MSVCR100.dll error when trying out jdk1.7.0 on WinXP 32-bit. The solution was to place a copy of MSVCR100.dll from jdk1.7.0 into the <sqldev_install>\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin directory where sqldeveloper.conf also resides.

In your environment, for whatever reason (whether 64-bit WinXP, Vista, or Win7), the SQL Developer with jre install is complaining about a missing MSVCR71.dll. So I assume a symmetrical solution should work for you: place a copy of MSVCR71.dll into the same directory as sqldeveloper.conf. You should be able to find a copy of it in <sqldev_install>\sqldeveloper\jdk\jre\bin.

Another poster followed this advice and it worked:
    SQL Developer won't start

Also, you may want to check your sqldeveloper.conf file to make sure it contains a line like the following:
    SetJavaHome ../../jdk

Best Wishes,
    Gary

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points