This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2012 12:57 PM by 914127 RSS

"User Not Recognized" when installing UPK with Windows Authentication

821975 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

When installing UPK Server with Windows Authentification mode, everything work fine until when the installer starts populating the Library. I get an error message saying "User is not recognized. Please enter a valid administrator user name and password. Click OK to enter another name or click Cancel to stop the upgrade process."

I tried using "my current Window account" and different Windows account when asking to give a default Developer admin login during the install but I still get the same message.

I might be forgeting something this time since I have installed UPK tones of times and never got this error.

Many thanks.
  • 1. Re: "User Not Recognized" when installing UPK with Windows Authentication
    Tom Casillas Explorer
    When installing UPK Server with Windows authentication, it is attempting to write your Windows domain/username to the Author table of your database. The error you are receiving is that it cannot either authenticate you, or is unable to pass this info along to the DB.

What version of UPK are you installing? What version of IIS is running on the web server you are installing too?

As there are multiple causes for this issue, there are multiple KM articles as well. Please review the following:
  • 2. Re: "User Not Recognized" when installing UPK with Windows Authentication
    914127 Newbie
    Hello,
    I don't know where to search for these articles. It would be helpful to have the links or where I can go to get them? I am running Windows 2008 32bit with UPK ver. 11 and I also have installed this several times before without this issue. The only difference between environments for me is that the DB side is a RAC. Also, there are controlled acl's in place so the only port I have open is for the DB connector. Should there be more ports open? I read through the UPK docs and they don't specify any extra or specified ports in a secure environment.
    Just FYI, When I change it to non Windows integrated user, it goes through but, that is not what we want.

Edited by: Song on Jan 30, 2012 2:13 PM
  • 3. Re: "User Not Recognized" when installing UPK with Windows Authentication
    900955 Newbie
    Hi Song,

You can access the articles mentioned by Tom on MyOracleSupport - just search for the article number at "Knowledge Home" and it will list the documentation.

Based on your other comments - it seems as if it isn't really a DB issue, as you can commit to the DB when you change the authentication mode to Standard User and not Windows Authentication. I may be wrong, but it definitely does not seem to point to the DB.

One thing on the install - if you are using IIS7 to emulate the web server, ensure that the Anonymous Authentication is disabled, and Windows Authentication is enabled for the website you are using.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
    Greig
  • 4. Re: "User Not Recognized" when installing UPK with Windows Authentication
    914127 Newbie
    Hello,
    Thank you!! After much testing and environment and OS changes, I found out that I totally forgot my Windows administration from over 7 years ago on a security feature that Microsoft put into their OS's. If you are using a friendly DNS name to publish to your clients (instead of them typing in the server name as the URL) and you want to utilize Windows authentication, a registry entry will need to be entered in order for the OS to be allowed to pass the windows auth through to that URL as well.

Example registry entry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0]
    "BackConnectionHostNames"=hex(7):

KB Article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0
    Right-click MSV1_0, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.
    Type BackConnectionHostNames, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click BackConnectionHostNames, and then click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type the host name or the host names for the sites that are on the local computer, and then click OK.
  • 5. Re: "User Not Recognized" when installing UPK with Windows Authentication
    Marc Santosusso Explorer
    "I don't know where to search for these articles. It would be helpful to have the links or where I can go to get them? "

Song,

Information about where to find UPK resources, including the knowledge base and service request system is posted in the announcement at the top of the forum: https://forums.oracle.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=1175

Best regards,
    Marc
  • 6. Re: "User Not Recognized" when installing UPK with Windows Authentication
    914127 Newbie
    Thank you! yeah, after I found out from Greig that it is in MyOracleSupport, that my manager still didn't approve my access into that site yet so I couldn't search there for the numbers that were provided. :o) But I got my answer now and shared it with the forum.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points