11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2012 12:07 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation

John-MK
      Hi,

I have installed Oracle 11g to the following location: ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/app/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1. Installed version is 11.2.0.2.

I wanted to apply PATCHSET 11.2.0.3 before installing the database. but forgot..

Two questions please:
      - Now what should be the procedure to do this, and secondly, I should have installed database to the directory 11.2.0.3 instead of 11.2.0 (as above).
      - I want db in the directory as specified and then I want to apply patchset to upgrade it to 11.2.0.3.

Thanks

Regards
        • 1. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
          AndyKlock
          >
          Two questions please:
          - Now what should be the procedure to do this, and secondly, I should have installed database to the directory 11.2.0.3 instead of 11.2.0 (as above).
          >

Your naming convention is up to you. If you want to stay consistent with what you started, then you could go with this for 11.2.0.3:

/oracle/app/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2

>
          - I want db in the directory as specified and then I want to apply patchset to upgrade it to 11.2.0.3.

>

Your database ideally shouldn't be in the oracle home. See OFA for suggestions:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32002/app_ofa.htm

But, ideally you'd have something like this :

$ORACLE_BASE/oradata/DB_UNIQUE_NAME

You can run the upgrade scripts regardless of where the database exists.

Cheers.
          • 2. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
            John-MK
            Hi,

Thanks for the reply. (OS: Linux 64-bit)

I might not understand completely. I am thinking that I might have to install the Oracle software (11.2.0.2) to new ORALCE_HOME directory using dbca (as i have to follow the naming conventions) keeping in mind the space requirements of new Oracle Home. Afterwards, apply patchset to upgrade it to 11.2.0.3, and upgrade (using dbua) the 11.2.0.2 version into new Oracle home directory, isn't it?

Regards
            • 3. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
              EdStevens
              910385 wrote:
              Hi,

I have installed Oracle 11g to the following location: ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/app/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1. Installed version is 11.2.0.2.

I wanted to apply PATCHSET 11.2.0.3 before installing the database. but forgot..

Two questions please:
              There are two phases to any patch/patchset. First is patching the software itself, in the desginated ORACLE_HOME. Second is running some scripts (like catalog.sql, catproc.sql) against any databases that are running from the patched home. Obviously, if you have not created any databases on the patched home, you have nothing to run those scripts against. But if you later move a database to that patched home, you will need to run those scripts.

And be aware that if you used dbca to create a database and select anything other than 'custom' database, the database will be created from a 'seed' database and will probably have to have the patch/upgrade scripts applied to it. If you choose 'custom' database, it will be created from a series of scripts based on a CREATE DATABASE command, and thus will be created at the current patch level.

Typically the oracle home is only named to the first three decimals, and patchsets are installed into the same home. There is really no need to name your home down to the patchset level, and doing so just creates more work. Been there, done that.

>
              Thanks

Regards
              • 4. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
                AndyKlock
                Correct with 11g you do an out-of-place upgrade, which puts the new 11.2.0.3 in it's own home (space is needed :) )

See: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/upgrade.htm for details.

Once you've installed (software only) 11.2.0.3. You can use use dbua to upgrade your database to 11.2.0.3. Essentially, it mounts it in "upgrade" mode, runs the upgrade scripts and recompiles invalids. Then you should be good to go. You are then free to uninstall 11.2.0.2.
                • 5. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
                  EdStevens
                  And don't forget to modify oratab, sqlnet files, and any environment setting scripts (OS dependent) accordingly.
                  • 6. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                    Starting with 11.2.0.2, "patches" are not patches in the traditional sense, but complete installs.

See MOS Doc 1189783.1 - Important Changes to Oracle Database Patch Sets Starting With 11.2.0.2

You will need to install 11.2.0.3 in a new, separate ORACLE_HOME and perform an upgrade following the directions in the link Andy posted above.

HTH
                    Srini
                    • 7. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
                      John-MK
                      Hi,

THanks Andy, Srini, and all.

- Installed 11.2.0.3 Oracale Software to new the new ORACLE_HOME.
                      - Upgraded 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3 using dbua ( invoked from the NEW ORACLE_HOME).
                      - Uninstall 11.2.0.2 afterwards.

Cool :)

Regards,,
                      • 8. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
                        Law
                        Hey,
                        What about PSU? Do I need to applied after or before the upgrade ?
                        And one more thing what about catbundle PSU apply,
                        • 9. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
                          Srini Chavali-Oracle
                          It is best to apply the latest PSU before performing an upgrade.

Best approach for Oracle database patching sequence to latest/required patchset along with CPU/PSU/any-other-one-off patch [ID 865255.1]

For catbundle.sql, check the README

Introduction To Oracle Database catbundle.sql [ID 605795.1] - see Section 6

HTH
                          Srini
                          • 10. Re: 11g patch set after the s/w n DB installation
                            Law
                            Thanks srini

One more question

In a Rac system can I install patchset + PSU and then starts upgrade process of my GI ? Or during installing patchset 11.2.0.3, starts the upgrade process GI + ASM and then apply PSU (11.2.0.3.1) to the binary home?

Best regards