4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 9:05 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Which framework is preferable JSF 2.0 or Struts 2.1?

Hello everybody ...
      I would like to ask this question Which framework is preferable JSF 2.0 or Struts 2.1?
      The comparison it could be in terms of the efficiency,less failures , facility, simple to use , the other technical perspectives .
      And which one is very useful in CRUD apps .
        • 1. Re: Which framework is preferable JSF 2.0 or Struts 2.1?
          gimbal2
          If you go with JSF, I would go with JSF 2.1. And this decision can only be made when you have actual requirements and only you can make it; each framework has its own merits and its own failures. There are too many factors involved to make any kind of comparison.

Why only those two by the way? What about Wicket? Play framework? Google Web Toolkit? Spring MVC?

In any case I wrote an article in which I describe, not compare, different frameworks based on my own experience and my own opinion. I have to stress that: what I write is not fact or a "market standard", it is only one opinion of one idiot. If you take the information in it and base all your decisions on it, you are an even bigger idiot. Use it as a starting point for further personal research in stead.

http://entjavastuff.blogspot.com/2012/01/java-web-frameworks-discussed.html
          • 2. Re: Which framework is preferable JSF 2.0 or Struts 2.1?
            gimbal2
            I received your comment on the blog post in my mailbox, but it doesn't actually show up on the website for one reason or another. Let me address it here in the hopes you find it.
            Is JSF 2.1 the best to use for e-commerce and social application "bond together"
            Maybe. It all depends on your requirements. Like I state in the article, if you need lots of control over the front-end with javascript, Ajax, DHTML and whatnot then JSF might not be the right choice.
            and the important goal for this application is the availability and the very efficient respond from the server for the millions and millions of the clients request,
            That does not depend on code. It depends on the server software, the server hardware and the configuration. You are not going to learn how to make this happen by asking questions in a forum, it will require plenty of study and experimentation. If you expect millions of client requests then only one server is probably not going to cut it for example; you'll have to start thinking about clustering. Whole books can be written about that subject, and probably have.
            for sure If I am using Jboss , and by the way which is the really good application servers and web servers either is it Jboss or glassfish server .
            Both JBoss 7+ and Glassfish V3+ are excellent and fast Application Servers. I have always used JBoss so I am biased towards it.
            Or there are alternatives out there ,Can you elaborate on them quite bit.
            There are certainly alternatives, Weblogic 12+, Websphere 8+, Geronimo 3+, probably some others I'm missing. I have no experience with any of them, so I cannot elaborate.
            Because I am starting my project I am still confusing my first aim is the efficiency , efficiency in the sense as the user presses submit button the result should be right in front of his/her face
            That depends more on your server setup and the environment it is installed in. You aren't going to magically get good performance by using a specific framework.
            for definitely using the suitable web techniques and web services like AJAX and JQuery and other suitable web services which are required , in fact there are so many factors are responsible and must take care of this job like databases ,networking and OS platforms stuff.
            I don't know if you're asking something here or just making a statement :/
            • 3. Re: Which framework is preferable JSF 2.0 or Struts 2.1?
              Hi sir that was amazing respond and I almost got what said but I have this doubt and I really got disappointed because that JSF would not be the choice when you said "if you need lots of control over the front-end with javascript, Ajax, DHTML and whatnot then JSF might not " . I mean what can you just work little bit on this " lots of control over the front-end with javascript, Ajax, DHTML " .

Actually my application mostly is like CRUD app and but it will have a lot of operations which of course are all the same operations say hundred customer concurrently will do insertion,updation,selection,deletion , some other customers will send messages and other web services , of course that I will java-script and Ajax and Jquery to get handle the input/output devices , so the application will have so many functions and authentications procedures and so on so forth ...
              In case if JSF is not the preferred choice then which is the choice ,, please I would like to know that before I trouble my team.
              If you can refer to any resources in this regard that would be an addition advantage.

Again and again ## THANKS SIR ##

NOTE : THE TECHNOLOGIES THAT I WILL BE USING ARE:
              EJB 3.1 JSF EITHER 2.0 OR 2.1 IF IT IS RELEASED SOON, JPA ,JTA, AND MESSAGES SERVICES ,AJAX,JQUERY ,JAVASCRIPT ,CSS3,SOME TAGS OF HTML5
              • 4. Re: Which framework is preferable JSF 2.0 or Struts 2.1?
                gimbal2
                user9331470 wrote:
                Hi sir that was amazing respond and I almost got what said but I have this doubt and I really got disappointed because that JSF would not be the choice when you said "if you need lots of control over the front-end with javascript, Ajax, DHTML and whatnot then JSF might not " . I mean what can you just work little bit on this " lots of control over the front-end with javascript, Ajax, DHTML " .
                I don't understand what you are asking here. Do you want more details? You'll need to do some reading yourself. For example, read into how JSF is "stateful" to already learn about some limitations you will run into.

>
                Actually my application mostly is like CRUD app and but it will have a lot of operations which of course are all the same operations say hundred customer concurrently will do insertion,updation,selection,deletion , some other customers will send messages and other web services , of course that I will java-script and Ajax and Jquery to get handle the input/output devices , so the application will have so many functions and authentications procedures and so on so forth ...
                So far I don't see anything here that is nothing you can't handle easily with JSF, if you take care what you do. Also investigate the extension frameworks such as Richfaces, Primefaces and Icefaces to get more "web 2.0" additions to JSF which may take away the need for you to do manual JQuery stuff.
                NOTE : THE TECHNOLOGIES THAT I WILL BE USING ARE:
                EJB 3.1 JSF EITHER 2.0 OR 2.1 IF IT IS RELEASED SOON, JPA ,JTA, AND MESSAGES SERVICES ,AJAX,JQUERY ,JAVASCRIPT ,CSS3,SOME TAGS OF HTML5
                JSF 2.1 is already out for a long time now :/ JSF 2.1.6 is the most current stable version.

http://javaserverfaces.java.net/download.html