This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 11:40 AM by user171873 RSS

32-bit versus 64-bit Solaris host for Virtual Box

772452 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
i want to use Solaris <10|11> as the host for Virtual Box .. on AMD platform.

what will be the pros and cons of using a 32-bit Solaris as a host versus using a 64-bit?
  • 1. Re: 32-bit versus 64-bit Solaris host for Virtual Box
    abrante Pro
    Well, the 64 bit version supports more memory than the 32 bit version, which might be good to know..

I'ld choose the 64 bit version unless there is a specific reason to use the 32 bit version, if not else since Solaris 11 is 64-bit only, and if you have hardware which supports a 64 bit operating system, why not use it? The 64-bit support has been around since Solaris 7, and it doesn't affect performance..

.7/M.
  • 2. Re: 32-bit versus 64-bit Solaris host for Virtual Box
    772452 Newbie
    the difference-in-memory factoid is so well-known that i did not bother to mention it.

"if you have hardware which supports a 64 bit operating system, why not use it?" .. that's what i'm+ asking you+ !

"unless there is a specific reason to use the 32 bit version" -- again, that is what i+ am asking you+

so, the question remains: what criteria are used to decide whether to use the 32-bit or 64-bit Solaris as a host for Virtual Box ?
  • 3. Re: 32-bit versus 64-bit Solaris host for Virtual Box
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    The correct answer is: it depends

Just so we're clear, you are looking to run Solaris as the base host and host vbox instances on top of that?

I could be wrong but don't you need to be running a 64-bit OS host before you can run 64-bit guests?
  • 4. Re: 32-bit versus 64-bit Solaris host for Virtual Box
    772452 Newbie
    The correct answer is: it depends. depends on what?!

Just so we're clear, you are looking to run Solaris as the base host and host vbox instances on top of that? i can't think of another interpretation

I could be wrong but don't you need to be running a 64-bit OS host before you can run 64-bit guests? _i don't know -- i was hoping that you+ can tell me+. and i can't see the relevance of the query._

Edited by: Neal Weissman on Jan 31, 2012 2:24 PM

Edited by: Neal Weissman on Jan 31, 2012 3:04 PM
  • 5. Re: 32-bit versus 64-bit Solaris host for Virtual Box
    user171873 Explorer
    If you have a 64 bit capable machine then I'd run 64 bits in the base machine. First, you mention Solaris 11 and if I recall correctly they dropped 32-bit kernel support in Solaris 11. So if you're running Solaris 11 it is a no brainer. Even on Solaris 10 I'd run 64 bits because you can take advantage of the larger address space 64-bits affords should you happen to need it. I don't see the down slide of running 64-bits. Also, if you plan to run a Solaris 11 guest you'll a 64-bit virtual machine because Solaris 11 doesn't support 32-bit kernels. I don't know for sure whether or not that requires an 64-bit host but that seems likely. So in my humble opinion, you're better off with the 64-bit host.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points