1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2012 3:31 PM by AndyKlock RSS

SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux

Hi All,

Recently we moved from Windows to Linux, can you guys suggest good SQL, PL/SQL Editors for Linux. We are very used to TOAD, but Linux version is not available for TOAD.

Thanks,
      Sumanth.
        • 1. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
          Hi,

What's wrong with vi/emacs..? ;-)

You can download Oracle SQLDeveloper, which is well worth the money (free). Give it a test run...
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/overview/index.html

HtH
          Johan
          • 2. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
            Billy~Verreynne
            Sumanth wrote:

Recently we moved from Windows to Linux, can you guys suggest good SQL, PL/SQL Editors for Linux.
            I have been using vim (Vi IMproved) and sqlplus (with subversion as backend) for many years now as development environment. And I do a lot of development and a lot of db admin.

It is a perfect combination for those that are familiar with actually using the keyboard, as oppose to those that can only go clickety clicking on shiny GUI buttons with the same vacant expression in the eyes as that of a crystal meth addict.
            • 3. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
              I am talking about any GUI tool for linux not a command line tool.
              I have tried Oracle supplied SQL Developer but sometimes it hangs and not at all responding tends to forcibly kill the application.

Thanks,
              Sumanth
              • 4. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                Billy~Verreynne
                Sumanth wrote:
                I am talking about any GUI tool for linux not a command line tool.
                So what.. you have that vacant stare in your eyes too?

Writing s/w is done with the keyboard. GUI or console mode does not change that fact. And if that is an issue that prevents you from writing s/w, then I would question your writing s/w skills.

Granted - there are arguments to be made for a "slick/easy" IDE type of environment. Especially when dealing with the client environment that uses GDI objects and GUI widgets. But PL/SQL is server-side. And does not even have a console device for displaying data to the client.

So insisting that only a GUI is a consideration for writing PL/SQL s/w is stretching it.. a lot...
                • 5. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                  rahulras
                  Hi Billy,

You are one of those fortunate people, who are "always writting" code.
                  I do 50% developement (writting code) and 50% (sometimes more) analysis/support, which is mainly browsing data, troubleshooting issues. Sql*plus (on Unix or Windows) is not ideal for simply browsing data.
                  I accept, I am not as expert as you, but looking at a table with 200-odd columns and looking at the indices it has and when all of these were analyzed, is a big job for me in sql*plus, which takes 20 secs in TOAD/SQLDeveloper.

BTW, if you are on Linux, I am not aware of a IDE/GUI you can install.

But Oracle provides iSQL*Plus, which can come handy without much efforts.
                  • 6. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                    sb92075
                    rahulras wrote:

But Oracle provides iSQL*Plus, which can come handy without much efforts.
                    isqlplus does NOT exist for any fully supported version of Oracle today.
                    isqlplus does NOT exist for V11 Oracle.
                    • 7. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                      HEP
                      LOL. The old "Real programmers use the console" discussion.

Boring.
                      • 8. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                        EdStevens
                        HEP wrote:
                        LOL. The old "Real programmers use the console" discussion.

Boring.
                        "Real programmers use "Copy con > myprog.com"

;-)
                        • 9. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                          riedelme
                          Sumanth wrote:
                          Recently we moved from Windows to Linux, can you guys suggest good SQL, PL/SQL Editors for Linux. We are very used to TOAD, but Linux version is not available for TOAD.
                          Am I missing something?

If you already have TOAD why can't you continue using it from a client?
                          • 10. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                            Richard Harrison .
                            Hi,
                            I assume you mean you are using Linux as your desktop os and not just that you have moved your database onto Linux? SQlDeveloper can definitely run directly on Linux but I've never really used it to know if your hanging issues are commonplace or you have something set up wrong - are you running the latest version?

There are various emulators to allow you to run windows app on linux which may be what you want? This for instacne sounds interesting - though I've never tried it http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/PL_SQL_Developer_on_Linux

using vi/vim/emacs or your native gui linux editor is fine for simple stuff but working with large packages with lots of dependencies and stepping through debugging code is much easier in a full IDE it depends on how complex the work you are doing is.

Cheers,
                            Harry
                            • 11. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                              As somebody doubted my s/w writing skills, we have done lot of development work in db which took very less time for development
                              using TOAD & PL/SQL Developer and where the application works great.

We have recently move to Ubuntu and we connect to client databases which are located at client sites, we installed TOAD & PL/SQL Developer with some work around but those works for sometime and hangs in between.

Thanks,
                              Sumanth
                              • 12. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                                jgarry
                                wtf? I put "toad on linux" in the google, and out came http://www.toadworld.com/Blogs/tabid/67/EntryId/144/Running-Toad-on-Linux.aspx

Sheesh.
                                • 13. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                                  Mark Williams-Oracle
                                  jgarry wrote:
                                  wtf? I put "toad on linux" in the google, and out came http://www.toadworld.com/Blogs/tabid/67/EntryId/144/Running-Toad-on-Linux.aspx

Sheesh.
                                  OK, so you found a blog posting from 2007 that says (basically) TOAD does not work on Linux (because it is Windows only), so install a Windows VM on Linux and run it from that VM.

The OP already knows TOAD does not work on Linux. The OP seems to be looking for an alternative that does work on Linux (natively I presume).

Am I missing something? Maybe I have misread something?

I have the same recommendation as Johan - namely, Oracle SQL Developer.
                                  • 14. Re: SQL, PL/SQL Editor for Linux
                                    Gogala Mladen
                                    Try tora: http://torasql.com It's similar to Toad. SQL Developer also works perfectly on Linux. Of course, vi, geany, scite and alike are also available. There is also a monstrosity called "emacs", but I wouldn't use it, if I were you.
                                    1 2 Previous Next