This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2012 12:14 PM by ML Starkey-Oracle RSS

Configuring vlan in a very old sparc machine

914419 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, forum!
I need to configure vlan in a old machine.
This machine is a sparcstation-10, with solaris 8:

#uname -a
SunOS gafa3 5.8 Generic_108528-18 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10
# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
le0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
inet 192.9.201.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.9.201.255
ether 8:0:20:1d:95:36

You can see, the machine have a "le" interface.
I did not have information about configure this type of interfaces.
Can any help me?

TIA
jorge infante
rosario - santa fe - argentina
  • 1. Re: Configuring vlan in a very old sparc machine
    user171873 Explorer
    The machine appears to already be configured but I assume that it is configured incorrectly for your environment. If you're moving to a totally different environment (where everything is likely to be wrong), probably the easiest approach is to run sys-unconfig and answer the questions which pop up after rebooting the system. The sys-unconfig command causes Solaris to forget its configuration and prompt you for configuration information on the next reboot. It should know about the le0 interface so you don't have to worry about it. You will be asked to enter things like the machine name, IP addresss, subnet information, name service information, default router, time zone, root password, etc. so you should have that information at hand.

The sys-unconfig command does tweak a lot of files. If you can, it would be a good idea to back up the system before running this just in case something goes amiss. I've not had problems with it but just in case...
  • 2. Re: Configuring vlan in a very old sparc machine
    914419 Newbie
    Thanks for your response.
    But, I need configure VLAN. Now, I have a correct LAN configuration (le0), working ok. My problem is what is the method to configure vlan on this type of driver (le).
    Any person, write in a forum: "interface types that support VLANs are: ce, bge, xge, e1000g". le is not in the list.
    For bge, in a v240 (modern) machine, I need to apply a patch. The problem is: I need know if I can configure vlan in le driver before to do it, to include the method in the plan of migration of all lan.
  • 3. Re: Configuring vlan in a very old sparc machine
    ML Starkey-Oracle Journeyer
    I guess you missed this part of the product documentation:

=================
    Oracle Solaris now supports VLANs on the following interface types:

* ce
    * bge
    * xge
    * e1000g

Of the legacy interface types, only the ce interface can become a member of a VLAN.
    =================

le is one of the original sun workstation interfaces, if not THE original interface. Hence le is "legacy" and can't be part of a VLAN.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points